WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Definitely find a pad, or part of one for your feet. I have found it's easier to manage the pad IN the sleeping bag.

A silvered windshield reflector might be enough for your feet, and they're cheap.

Any pics of the stealth hang?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I think this is a super great idea! especially now make adjustments and take knowledge in with each night of what works and what doesn't. I'm definitely on the risk taking (stealth) side!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Stealth needs to be your constant waking thought when you are in camp. I know firsthand that it is possible to conceal yourself in a high density area, but it takes constant vigilance. A secret should stay exactly that; a secret. Don't let any of your co-workers know, even the ones you believe can be trusted. No way I would be posting this in a public forum, but to each their own. Also, try to avoid setting-up in the same place more than a couple of nights in a row. Tracks don't take all that long to form and I promise you they will be evident come the end of the year if you keep walking the same path. What are you going to do when/if it snows? Your tracks will be obvious and curious to a snoopy person.

A heavy tarp might be a good investment. Something that will block as much light as possible. I assume you'll want to cook something from time to time, or maybe entertain yourself or make a phone call with your phone. It's amazing how far light can travel on a dark night, so having something heavy to block much of that light would be good. Stay very, very mobile. Again, a often used camp is not a difficult thing to find, even with excellent LNT practices.

As the great and amazing Jimi would ask..are you experienced? Meaning, have you camped through the weather and temps you are planning here? Anybody can suffer through a night or two of misery in camp. Are you prepared and capable of doing that for weeks...months? It's a fair question. Gonna be a tough thing to go from that cozy guest room at your GF's parent's house to a hostile wind and rain soaked hillside come Monday evening. It's like hotels/hostels when the weather is bad; nobody wants to go back on the trail. I guess you are about to find out, just be prepared mentally.

Of course, be absolutely sure you can't be seen. You can really only do that by setting up and walking where people walk while keeping a keen eye for where your selected site is located. You should do this for every camp. Takes one bored and observant somebody to ruin your fun.

I will admit, it does sound like a bit of fun. I've never been one to give authority so much respect as that it takes away from my right to live free. If I'm causing no harm to another, I just don't see it as their business. I'm wrong, or course, but that's the way it is. I wish you good luck and safe sleeping. But, please, cover your six. With the way things are these days, squatting laws are being enforced with a heavy-hand. Just know that and take steps accordingly.
    Thanks for all the great advise Cannibal. The short answer is no, I have not camped in these temperatures. I've only been hanging since March of this year. I am mentally prepared. Psychically, It hasn't been a problem yet. I just stay snuggled up in my sleeping bag and think warm thoughts. I had to bust out my Under Armour cold gear mask last night. That and I bought a pair of wool socks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Definitely find a pad, or part of one for your feet. I have found it's easier to manage the pad IN the sleeping bag.

A silvered windshield reflector might be enough for your feet, and they're cheap.

Any pics of the stealth hang?
    Thanks for the advise of the pad inside the bag. I'll give that a try. I was looking for a pad at REI yesterday but they were out of blue pad. All they had was inflatables and one thermarest one that as too large and expensive for my needs. Might hit up wally world today. I may try the windshield reflector idea.

No pictures yet. I set up late and wanna crawl right in and warm up. I may take some pictures during the day one day if I can find the time.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I took some pictures of my setup today. I've been trying to hang in different spots. This one is not the most hidden, but it's Sunday so I wasn't really concerned with being stealth.

View from the parking lot

View from the hammock

View from around back

From the top down
    Last edited by SpaceCadet; 10-16-2011 at 08:25.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    this is really awesome in the context of "do what you have to do to survive."

seems like more vehicles than need be.

keep us posted.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Wow. I often wonder if I could have done this while going to college. I work at a university and I always look for stealthy spots that would be safe. You should put up a blog of your experiences. I'd enjoy the story.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Heck yeah. Looks fun. I'd do it. Hopefully you can access the wifi from your hammock and watch netflix, or HF!

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    snag a set of keys for one of the trucks and hang in there?? being a mobile broadcast studio, I would think, means their insulated for sound at least....may provide a little more warmth in the coming months??

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Over Exposed

Dude:

Your spot is way too exposed. From your initial description, it sounded like you had a place to hang that was hidden much better. While I don't have a feel for the complete layout of your employer's property, your pictures suggest that your hammock is very visible, even to the uninterested. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I predict it's just matter of time before you are discovered and if that happens, I hope you have a good explanation planned. If you are found out, I suspect the biggest concern might be liability if something were to happen to you.

As an after thought, do you know anybody who might be willing to let you hang in their backyard? If not, how about a classified in a local paper asking for temporary hanging space? You might be surprised at the generosity of strangers.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hang in your recruiters back yard, it might speed up the deployment process =) not to mention it will give you a chance to teach him about hammock camping.
    "Think Outside the Tent"

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast