Images

JRB Weathershield question

I originally thought about just emailing Pan, but thought someone else may benefit from the answer as Pan is always ever so enlightning. Here goes:

Set up my HH the other day for the first time with the JRB Nest and Bottom Weathershield. I think I got the Nest on correctly with the help of a friend, but I will find out for sure when we do the winter campout with all of your help and advice.

I used the same JRB suspension lines to attach both the nest and the bottom weathershield (have pictures but am at work right now). I found it impossible to merely "push the weathershield to the side" to enter the hammock this way. This may be a stupid question, but are the Nest and the bottom weathershield suppose to use seperate suspension lines or was I just doing something wrong? (Be gentle, it was my first time).

After fitting the Nest, I had to take it off of the HH and put it away as I dont yet have a Stuff bag / or Skin large enough to fold them both into (or at least I dont think so). I didnt try it, but does the Nest and HH fit inside of Hennesseys skins if your not putting the tarp inside the skins?

After the winter campout, I may have to get Black Bishop to show me how to make something to keep my HH and Nest inside (either a set of Pythons or one of his bags that I have yet to see).

Thanks for the help.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    I originally thought about just emailing Pan, but thought someone else may benefit from the answer as Pan is always ever so enlightning. Here goes:

Set up my HH the other day for the first time with the JRB Nest and Bottom Weathershield. I think I got the Nest on correctly with the help of a friend, but I will find out for sure when we do the winter campout with all of your help and advice.

I used the same JRB suspension lines to attach both the nest and the bottom weathershield (have pictures but am at work right now). I found it impossible to merely "push the weathershield to the side" to enter the hammock this way. This may be a stupid question, but are the Nest and the bottom weathershield suppose to use seperate suspension lines or was I just doing something wrong? (Be gentle, it was my first time).

After fitting the Nest, I had to take it off of the HH and put it away as I dont yet have a Stuff bag / or Skin large enough to fold them both into (or at least I dont think so). I didnt try it, but does the Nest and HH fit inside of Hennesseys skins if your not putting the tarp inside the skins?

After the winter campout, I may have to get Black Bishop to show me how to make something to keep my HH and Nest inside (either a set of Pythons or one of his bags that I have yet to see).

Thanks for the help.

BD
    BD,

Nest and WS work well with one Suspension System... you may have to move the initial cinched girth hitch out 1/2 to 1 inch to account for the extra weight.

When combining both... Rig the Nest as a rectangle, ie close the slit of the Nest on itself... approacch from the right side of the foot end , take left hand push down and to the left, gently, until HH slit is exposed, enter, sit, lift legs.... the Nest and WS return automatically to the proper posn....Oh make sure that you have the side HH tie out thru both the Nest and WS side ladder loops... if this is not easy, you have done something wrong...call us if necessary.

HH and Nest will fit in HHSS#4 w/o the tarp...but it is tight...not worth the time and hassle IMHO.... I carry the UQ in its own compression/stuff sack.

See you at the Mt Rogers Hang out.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post

Thanks for the help.

BD

Here's how to make skins:
    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockTubes.html

or the JRB site:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/DIY.htm

I found Jeff's a little easier to make because you are basically just performing one cut after you cut the fabric to length.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Here's how to make skins:
    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockTubes.html

or the JRB site:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/DIY.htm

I found Jeff's a little easier to make because you are basically just performing one cut after you cut the fabric to length.
    Still dont know how to sew. But Black Bishop is working to fix that dilema.

Thanks for the links. Ill add them to my favorites so I have them when I learn!

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    BD,

Nest and WS work well with one Suspension System... you may have to move the initial cinched girth hitch out 1/2 to 1 inch to account for the extra weight.

When combining both... Rig the Nest as a rectangle, ie close the slit of the Nest on itself... approacch from the right side of the foot end , take left hand push down and to the left, gently, until HH slit is exposed, enter, sit, lift legs.... the Nest and WS return automatically to the proper posn....Oh make sure that you have the side HH tie out thru both the Nest and WS side ladder loops... if this is not easy, you have done something wrong...call us if necessary.

HH and Nest will fit in HHSS#4 w/o the tarp...but it is tight...not worth the time and hassle IMHO.... I carry the UQ in its own compression/stuff sack.

See you at the Mt Rogers Hang out.

Pan
    I think that I had the Nest attached to the velcro of the HH slit when I did it and cinched down. If so, that would have been my problem. Thanks for the info. I will have MANY questions for you [all] at the Mount Rogers Hang Out.

My thought process on the pythons were that it would be easier to put the hammock up in nasty weather without soaking the Nest if it was already attached to the HH. However, I like the idea of keeping the Nest inside of the compression sack you provided. I need more hands on experience with it.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As long as the tarp goes up first, having the Nest in the skins is just a matter of preference...you'll be able to stay under your tarp and dry while you put the Nest on.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Bird Dog (et al),

This past weekend in the storm I was out in, I learned a tip-

I keep my under quilt in the sack, BUT- When I stuff it in the sack, I make sure I leave the 2 loops for an end where I can easily grab them when I go to remove it from the sack.

That way, you can get them clipped on without having the UQ all out everywhere in the dampness. It's easier to keep it off the ground and all.

Hope that helps,
    Perk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Bird Dog (et al),

I keep my under quilt in the sack, BUT- When I stuff it in the sack, I make sure I leave the 2 loops for an end where I can easily grab them when I go to remove it from the sack.

That way, you can get them clipped on without having the UQ all out everywhere in the dampness. It's easier to keep it off the ground and all.

Hope that helps,
    Perk
    Good point. Its the little things that are learned through trial and error (mostly through error in my case) that mean so much when the weather gets bad. Hopefully Ill learn more of that at the Rogers Hangout. Bd
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Bird Dog (et al),

Hope that helps,
    Perk
    That's a neat little trick I will have to try. Wonder if Pan has thought of that.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts