Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Hybrid Down/Synthetic Underquilt Frankenstein

It's Halloween, so lets talk about a Frankenstein...

I was throwing around the idea of making a hybrid quilt, a part synthetic, part down underquilt. Maybe synthetic at the head and foot, and down in the middle... where most of your body lies...

Or maybe down in the middle and synthetic insulation only around the edges? Keep the down contained in a smaller place... and adding to the compressibility of your synthetic quilt.

One of the reasons might be cost... if you want to shave some cost off of your down quilt. Maybe you just want something a little easier to make...

I don't know the practicality of it, just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts at all about it.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    I like hybrid insulation systems... But would be tempted to use them in a layered fashion, and in separate pieces so they can be used in various combinations. Allowing you to tune your quilt system and warmth to the ambient.
    So many projects, So little time....

Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    I like hybrid insulation systems... But would be tempted to use them in a layered fashion, and in separate pieces so they can be used in various combinations. Allowing you to tune your quilt system and warmth to the ambient.
    thats what I was thinking - could use just the down, or just the synthetic, or both combined. withthe right thicknesses you could have a synthetic UQ good for 50-60*, and down good for 30-40*, and a combined system good for <15*

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i have thought about opening up a thin, synthetic quilt & shooting in some extra down that was left over from trimming down sleeping bags to convert them into quilts.
    seems like at least part of the down would stick to the synthetic insulation, but i think that would be OK. the rest of the down might be some what "shift-able"???
    it's bound to make it warmer. wouldn't hurt to try. it might not be a bad combination.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey Tim,

Would you put the down in on the top (against the hammock) or the bottom (facing down towards the ground) of the underquilt.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Hey Tim,

Would you put the down in on the top (against the hammock) or the bottom (facing down towards the ground) of the underquilt.
    i'm thinking the top as the extra loft would help eliminate any air gaps between the UQ and the hammock

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    my thought was to put the down on the bottom of an under quilt because it's so fluffy & lofty, thinking that the synthetic insulation was attached by quilt loops to the top/liner & the bottom/shell wanted to drop away from the synthetic insulation, leaving a void.

either way, i'm thinking i would only fix the synthetic insulation to one side of the quilt (shell or liner) & add the down to the looser side.
    i don't know, maybe it would allow for to much shifting of the down if very much was added, but it sure seems like it would add a nice layer of warmth capturing ability<g>.

i think i would be more likely to put the down on the bottom of an under quilt & on top of a top quilt. seems that it would suffer less compression that way.

Images
    if you made it so the syn was around the edges (a foot or so maybe more) you might be able to do away with baffeling, or at least reduce it to two or three large baffels. i made a uq once that was just a unbaffeled bag of down, all the down falls down leaving the vertical parts of the quilt empty (like at your shoulders) if you had syn there, the sides would be protected, and you might get away with one big chamber for all the down. this would probably reduce overall weight since you wouldn't need as much syn at your sides, and you wouldn't have any, or at least alot less baffelling.

you might be able to do a down chamber that was maybe 2 feet wide and the length of the quilt.

i have very little experience with down though, but this is basically the idea i came up with to improve my baffelless down uq, which i never got around to doing.

as far as supplementing a full syn quilt with down, if it was below the syn, it would probably work best, but would still probably all migrate down to the bottom, and the outer shell would have to be baggy enough to give it room to loft, but not so baggy that there was dead air between the syn and the down.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    ya know, that might be worth giving a try WBG.
    but in my mind, i see synthetic baffles w/ quilt loops holding them in place every 4-6".
    the synthetic baffles would each be maybe 2" wide.
    they would help to hold the shell & liner apart, allowing the down it's fullest loft.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ya know, that might be worth giving a try WBG.
    but in my mind, i see synthetic baffles w/ quilt loops holding them in place every 4-6".
    the synthetic baffles would each be maybe 2" wide.
    they would help to hold the shell & liner apart, allowing the down it's fullest loft.
    you mean replacing netting baffels with syn insulation to keep the down from migrating to the bottom? not sure i follow

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast