Thread: Ridgeline?

Images

Ridgeline?

Is there a difference between a structual ridgeline and a ridgeline? I need something that I can adjust the angle of the hammock for more comfort. Also can someone explain how to hook a ridgeline to the Arrowhhead Cinch buckles with chain links?

Sorry for all the questiions my eyes are getting watery from looking at all the info!

Thanks,
    Brian
    Rockets, BBQ, Backpacking, Hanging. Not necessarily in that order!!

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Ridgeline?

Most hammocks have a structural rl, the difference is that a structural rl will normally be tightish when you lie in the hammock, and will allow you to hang the hammock at a lower angle and still have the same lay (but putting a high strain on all the suspension lines and the rl). A non structural rl can be made out of almost any type of line if you want and is usually only used to keep bug nets off your face and can be used to hang light items from.

What type of hammock do you have?

If you buy a rl it will be intended as a structural one and you can buy either a whoopie style or ucr for adjustments.

You can just larkshead the rl onto the suspension or even get some ti dutch biners so it is easily removable.

Images
    Craige, I have a Eno DN, Thanks for the info. Been trying to figure a way to adjust the angle so I don't slip down so much.
    Rockets, BBQ, Backpacking, Hanging. Not necessarily in that order!!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you want to make an adjustable ridgeline that is structural as well, this is how I do it:

1. Determine length of hammock body
    2. Multiply by .85 for a ridgeline length of 85%
    3. Make whoopie sling with 3 to 6 inches of play on either side of that number

Start with Ridgeline whoopie in the middle and give the hammock a test ride and adjsut longer or shorter as desired.

If you finding your self sliding towards the foot end of the hammock throughout the night then hang the foot end of your hammock higher, typically 6 inches is enough some find that they need to go as much as a foot higher.

As for attaching the cinch buckles I'd use a continous loop of amsteel run through the buckles and larks headed through the channels on the hammock, or gather the hammock ends and larks head around the gather.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL - 144" TadPole
    Insulation
    WL -3/4UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    If you want to make an adjustable ridgeline that is structural as well, this is how I do it:

1. Determine length of hammock body
    2. Multiply by .85 for a ridgeline length of 85%
    3. Make whoopie sling with 3 to 6 inches of play on either side of that number

Start with Ridgeline whoopie in the middle and give the hammock a test ride and adjsut longer or shorter as desired.

If you finding your self sliding towards the foot end of the hammock throughout the night then hang the foot end of your hammock higher, typically 6 inches is enough some find that they need to go as much as a foot higher.

As for attaching the cinch buckles I'd use a continous loop of amsteel run through the buckles and larks headed through the channels on the hammock, or gather the hammock ends and larks head around the gather.
    Okay so I have pretty much the same question. I have an adjustable structural ridgeline coming from Dutch. I have a WL-LiteOwl which is 11'. So I should start my SR at 112.2 inches? then adjust from there? based upon personal comfort? Is that Correct?

South Carolina Mike

Getting Begun is Only Half Done

http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthCarolinaMike

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Re: Ridgeline?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaMike View Post
    Okay so I have pretty much the same question. I have an adjustable structural ridgeline coming from Dutch. I have a WL-LiteOwl which is 11'. So I should start my SR at 112.2 inches? then adjust from there? based upon personal comfort? Is that Correct?
    Most 11' hammocks that come with a non adjustable ridge line are 110"...which is 83% of the hammock length. I'd recommend starting there, but ultimately it comes down to what works for you...
    Next Palmetto State Hangers Hang: Spring Swing @ Huntington Beach State Park

Palmetto State Hangers is proudly sponsored by and is proud to support: Dream Hammock, Underground Quilts,
    TATO Gear, Ripstop by the Roll, Hound Dog Hammock Gear, & Get Your Gear On.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I made an adjustable ridge line for my 11' BIAS with about a foot of play on each side. I move it around a lot, depending on the hang I want to get and distance between trees. Also, I keep a lot of sag in the hammock and try not to overload the ridge line. It's 2.2 mm Zing-It, so it can take some pressure.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in so cal View Post
    Craige, I have a Eno DN, Thanks for the info. Been trying to figure a way to adjust the angle so I don't slip down so much.
    I replaced the end ropes with whoopies. Attach an adjustable ridge line to the whoopies and lay in hammock. Get out, adjust, get out adjust, get out adjust. Then mark the ridge line with a black sharpie in case it moves. Then go hiking.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts