Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Ok, thanks for the advise everyone. For starters, it will just be a rectangular quilt. I may add omni tape at the bottom to make a footbox if I need to after this coming shakedown hike. I will try to take pictures, and if it all work out right I will send them to you HE. TeeDee, that is they way I saw it done on the internet, and I figured that would be more difficult for me. I don't have a very large area to work with, and trying to keep 3-4 layers of insulation and 2 layers of DWR in place while I sew would be too difficult. The pillowcase idea would keep the insulation trapped in place while I sew. Besides, that way has been done. I haven't seen this way on the internet, so I want to see how it works. That way people like HE and others can post it on their pages as another way to make a quilt.

My shakedown hike is next weekend, so this quilt will be finished by the end of this weekend. I will be sure to give a more detailed post on it's construction if it all works out. Thanks again.

Images
    If you want, there is a section here for homemade gear instructions. Type up how to do it and add it. It should be a nice addition to the site.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The biggest difference I can see between the "pillow case" method you want to try and the method with the clothes pins and sewing all 3 layers at the same time is that in the latter method the insulation is sewn to the perimeter at the same time that the shell is sewn. In the pillow case method you will have to sew the insulation to the perimeter after stuffing.

I think you could have problems if you do not sew the insulation to the shell perimeter. The quilting loops are good, but a lot of the structural integrity of the insulation comes from being sewn to the shell around the perimeter.

Images
    Well, I made my quilt tonight. The pillow case idea is almost impossible. With approx. 3 inches of 3/4 inch polarguard, it is very difficult to keep everything together and in place to stuff it. I ended up going with the traditional way of sewing the DWR to itself, then sewing the insulation to one side. Then I just turned it inside out and finished the last 12". Oh well, I tried.

One question though. Is basting necessary? I tried it tonight and all of the basting threads untied themselves and came out. Plus it is a pain in the but doing that a lot. Maybe if I just did the outside edges and a 5 in the middle. In the pattern of the 5 side of dice.

As for the specs, it is very big, and very heavy. I hate being cold though. Probably about 78 inches long, and 58 inches wide. Weighs around 2 1/5 lbs. More than I was wanting, but too late now. Will just have to lighten something else up to compensate.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Well, I made my quilt tonight. The pillow case idea is almost impossible. With approx. 3 inches of 3/4 inch polarguard, it is very difficult to keep everything together and in place to stuff it. I ended up going with the traditional way of sewing the DWR to itself, then sewing the insulation to one side. Then I just turned it inside out and finished the last 12". Oh well, I tried.

One question though. Is basting necessary? I tried it tonight and all of the basting threads untied themselves and came out. Plus it is a pain in the but doing that a lot. Maybe if I just did the outside edges and a 5 in the middle. In the pattern of the 5 side of dice.

As for the specs, it is very big, and very heavy. I hate being cold though. Probably about 78 inches long, and 58 inches wide. Weighs around 2 1/5 lbs. More than I was wanting, but too late now. Will just have to lighten something else up to compensate.
    What do you mean by basting? The quilt loops?

I don't think you need that much insulation...but then again I sleep warm, so...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Do you mean the quilting loops by "basting"?

If so - I definitely would not skimp on them - like sewing the perimeter of the insulation to the shell - it comes down to structural integrity. In use the quilt gets pulled about quite a bit - you definitely do not want the insulation getting pulled apart.

Images
    Yeah, quilting loops are what I'm talking about. Guess that's one more thing to do before the weekend. I know 3" is thick, but I will be oh so comfy on top of the mountains. I an 6' and 160 lbs. with 0.5% body fat. I get cold very very easily. I've never gotten hot even when it is 110* with 75%+ humidity, but put me in 60* and below and I freeze like a wet chihuahua. It sucks.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Yeah, quilting loops are what I'm talking about. Guess that's one more thing to do before the weekend. I know 3" is thick, but I will be oh so comfy on top of the mountains. I an 6' and 160 lbs. with 0.5% body fat. I get cold very very easily. I've never gotten hot even when it is 110* with 75%+ humidity, but put me in 60* and below and I freeze like a wet chihuahua. It sucks.
    Wow...and I thought NCPatrick was bad!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Wow...and I thought NCPatrick was bad!
    It pays of in the hot weather. I've had 2 quarts of water last me 3 days backpacking in July, and that includes cooking and cleaning dishes.

. I've had 2 quarts of water last me 3 days backpacking in July, and that includes cooking and cleaning dishes.

I am curious as to what meals you are cooking that would require less than 2 qts of water over 3 days. I do freezer bag cooking and you can use up 8 to 16 ounces of water for one meal and there is no clean-up. Plus you need water to drink.

HYOH but no offense that doesn't sound to smart to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast