WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Hanging Question from a Newbie

My now 10-year-old son loves to go camping with me and when he heard me talking about getting a hammock for MY birthday in April he decided that's what he wanted for HIS birthday this month. Based on recommendations from this forum I got him a Hennessy Scout Zip.

Now I am a TOTAL Newb so anything I know I learned from this forum. We tried hanging it for the first time this afternoon in 30 degree weather. I used the quick hang method with the carabiner and repel rings (that I learned from this forum).

I have attached pics below and would love your feedback. I had him try hanging in it in both directions because he said the ridges hurt his calves but he seemed to get more comfortable lying the other direction. Keep in mind he was laying directly on the hammock with no pad or sleeping bag. Again, I would appreciate any pointers if I have an angle wrong or something like that. Thanks!!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Looks like a good start. The Ridgeline in the hammock looks a little loose so you could tighten up why suspension just a little. I would also say that he might be a little low in the hammock....have him scoot towards the head end slightly. That should help to get him a little flatter and hopefully help with the calf ridge some.

Welcome to hanging.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    A lot of it is trial and error. It probably took me 10 nights to really get it dialed in.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Hang the foot end of the hammock a few inches higher than the head. That will help him stay toward the top and help with the leg ridge. Also, as suggested, tighten the ridgeline up. With his weight, you can go almost banjo tight on it.

If that does not work, give him a small pillow to go under his legs and he won't have any ridgeline leg issues.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    thanks for the suggestions. I thought the ridge line may need to be tighter because it had some because it was not as tight as I had seen in some videos online. So we will try it again and see if that helps. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    For me, with the head end slightly lower, I just get a little diagonal in it and then wiggle like a fish a couple times.
    Really helps things settle in.

Images
    I'm gonna guess that the photo just before him sitting chair style in the hammock was the one where he was most comfortable. Hard to tell from the photo angle but it looks like the head end is a little lower in that photo. As stated raise the foot end a little more or lower the head and that should help with the calf ridge. Also, tighten up on the suspension.

My son is a little older (12) but for him the easy way to remember the setting (assuming ground between trees is levelish) is that the foot end strap goes just above his head height and the head end strap goes just below his chin height. That gives him a general 6 - 12 inches of difference and things are better programmed that way. Great start. Bet you can't wait till your birthday for yours.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    I'm gonna guess that the photo just before him sitting chair style in the hammock was the one where he was most comfortable. Hard to tell from the photo angle but it looks like the head end is a little lower in that photo. As stated raise the foot end a little more or lower the head and that should help with the calf ridge. Also, tighten up on the suspension.

My son is a little older (12) but for him the easy way to remember the setting (assuming ground between trees is levelish) is that the foot end strap goes just above his head height and the head end strap goes just below his chin height. That gives him a general 6 - 12 inches of difference and things are better programmed that way. Great start. Bet you can't wait till your birthday for yours.
    Yes, the last picture is the one he said was more comfortable. I definitely didn't have the feet side that high so I will definitely try that next time.

Yeah, I was really wanting to lay in his Scout but a 150 lb weight limit is a good bit lower than my weight so I wasn't going to chance it! I can't wait to get one myself and go hanging with him!

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    Welcome to the hammock community! I usually recommend people start out with something cheap like the Grand trunk Ultralight. Because if you're not really planning on camping in it, it's good for just relaxing, and some people can't bring themselves to sleep in a hammock(Don't ask me why.). If you are really serious about hammock camping though, don't skimp. You're going to eventually end up getting the thing that you wanted all along, but you'll have gone through three other uncomfortable hammocks(This might not be easy for people who have a family, and payments.). I usually don't recommend Hennessy, because I think they're over priced, and kinda' stiff(No offense to Hennesians...). Eno is great, and very versatile(Don't buy the single nest though. It's a scam, spend ten dollars more and get the double nest). And War bonnets are a little on the expensive side, but packed with features, and very comfy. I bought the War Bonnet adjustable webbing suspension, and wouldn't have it any other way. They are very easy to set up. Have fun though! Go somewhere new! Have an adventure! And make fun of a ground dweller,or two. I hope you enjoy your hammock for years to come!
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like the head end lower than the foot by at least 6" to 1'. If any ridges build under the legs just pull my legs in and sweep out with my feet straightening the hammock underneath.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast