• Claytor

10 14.71%
  • Clark

2 2.94%
  • Other

7 10.29%
  • I didn't switch, but got a Blackbird cause they're cool

10 14.71%
  • It is my first hammock, no need to switch.

13 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    I'd be very interested to see this when it gets done......
    So will I.

It will be awhile - I'm not cutting into BB #1 until BB #2 has a few hangs on it, and I don't have #2 in hand yet. I also need to stare at something until the solution flashes me - there is a way to do it. I have ideas, but the solution will just pop into my brain one day at the most inconvenient time when I'm supposed to be thinking of something else. That is the way it always happens.

My two BB's are going to be special - the penultimate pinnacle of ebony avians, IMO - and both different. I can't wait. I'm giddy with anticipation.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    I switched from roots, rocks and other ground dwelling hazards.
    That's the best switch of all!
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

What made you sell the Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by vigilguy View Post
    I replaced a HH Hyperlite. I have also used a Clark Jungle Hammock in the past but sold it.

The BB has all of the features that I wished the others had.

Does the weathershield just add a few degrees warrmth? If so why would you do this for just a few degrees? Would you still use a tarp with the shield? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Added. You can never have enough options. I should be getting my second BB shortly, so I will have a winter and summer version, and one that I can "play" with while the other stays pristine. I WILL be changing my winter version to a totally removable bugnet with a zip-in topcover/weathershield. A daunting task to keep the shape of the BB without the bugnet, to be sure.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Added. You can never have enough options. I should be getting my second BB shortly, so I will have a winter and summer version, and one that I can "play" with while the other stays pristine. I WILL be changing my winter version to a totally removable bugnet with a zip-in topcover/weathershield. A daunting task to keep the shape of the BB without the bugnet, to be sure.
    I had actually sugested this to Brandon a few weeks ago One really does not need a bug net in the winter.

I switched from being cripled on the ground to BB after much research until I found HF!
    Last edited by NorseAmerican; 03-22-2009 at 15:01. Reason: addition

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseAmerican View Post
    I had actually sugested this to Brandon a few weeks ago One really does not need a bug net in the winter.
    Not for bugs anyway.

Actually, it has been my experience that the bugnet gains you a couple of degrees in the hammock. It cuts down the heat loss due to winds and seems to trap some of my body heat as well. Doesn't matter much down to zero, but beyond that the effect is noticeable.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Not for bugs anyway.

Actually, it has been my experience that the bugnet gains you a couple of degrees in the hammock. It cuts down the heat loss due to winds and seems to trap some of my body heat as well. Doesn't matter much down to zero, but beyond that the effect is noticeable.
    I stand corrected. Having a removable netting which can be replaced by a vented 1.1 cover would seem to be good option and can be opened as much to vent as needed. I meant by no need for bug net assuming this option.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    Does the weathershield just add a few degrees warrmth? If so why would you do this for just a few degrees? Would you still use a tarp with the shield? Thanks.
    Yes, it adds a few degrees. I would prefer not to use the tarp if it is warm and dry enough, but the tarp blocks wind and keeps you warmer still. I have a Clark NA, and the zip-in weathershield is the bomb, and my one of my favorite things about the Clark.

Why would I do this for a few degrees? To be different, to figure it out/solve the puzzle, and because I can. And to show others how I accomplished it, in case they have the same idea. I like to work on solutions - it is what makes me wake up in the morning.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseAmerican View Post

I switched from being cripled on the ground to BB after much research until I found HF!
    Several of us has asked Brandon about this, and I understand why he doesn't do these kind of requests right now. I asked him about adding this on my first BB last fall, but the amount of time it takes for research and development for a perfectionist like Brandon (thank you for that - you make an awesome hammock) to play around with something that he may or may not like would take away from his sewing hammocks for us. If he ever got his "sweat shop" (some sewing help that he could approve of) up and running, I know he would be experimenting with this stuff. For now, it is up to us to figure this out.

Images
    i've done a couple overcovers by now. i'm working on a design (very slowly), so it'll probably be available at some point. it's just 1.1 that goes over the net. a zip off bugnet would would add more weight from the zipper than you'd save from the netting i think, and be a good bit more expensive to make. a simple cover is the lightest, cheapest, and easiest way to do it as far as trying to produce a topcover/overcover option for me. it would also fit existing bb's.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast