Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cargo straps

Images

Cargo straps

Greetings Hangers - I've just joined the forum. I've been hanging since the early 90s using a surplus navy hammock & the faithful blue tarp. Had some beautiful experiences but that's for another day. What I haven't seen in all the sites I've been to is someone using cargo straps - the ratchet kind in case there's any doubt. It's as simple as it gets, it doesn't stretch and I've yet to see any damage to bark as a result of using them. Granted, if weight is an issue you might think twice but for short trips or if you tend to use a vehicle, why not? Even if the ratchet breaks as mechanical things are want to do when your furthest from the nearest hardware store, throw it into your trash bag, run the strap back to the eye of the other hook and tie it off. I don't even get fancy even though as a sailor I love to tie knots. In fact, if weight isn't that great an issue, just go without the ratchet.
    Oh yeah, I'm getting ready to do a coast to coast run on the Harley and upgrading my hammock to a Hennessy Explorer. The bugs are fierce back east and I'm sure I'll hit some pretty good precipitation. Later.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Cargo straps are a staple. Especially cheap ones, since the cheapest have just about the strength, by weight, folks want.
    How so many folks pry or pound the heavy ratcheting stop off is something I used to be curious about until a sewing machine meant a knife and one less already-sewn loop was the alternative.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    As a newby I was going to use some cargo straps on hand but they had been stored for years in the tool box on my truck -- baked brittle and faded -- I didn't trust them so bought some inexpensive nylon straps from Hammock Bliss. I really like them but wish I had known about Strapworks first, which is even more economical. All that being said, SGT Rock does the best thing by bar-tacking his straps.

The manila rope in the tool box looked like new, BTW. I am also glad to have a recovery chain instead of straps. Thermoplastics are great but have their limits, huh?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I thought about doing the cargo straps but the whoopies just come across as easier to adjust. It'd be a pain if you ratchet too tight then have to loosen it for a better hang IMHO.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Mule, John View Post
    Greetings Hangers - I've just joined the forum. I've been hanging since the early 90s using a surplus navy hammock & the faithful blue tarp. Had some beautiful experiences but that's for another day. What I haven't seen in all the sites I've been to is someone using cargo straps - the ratchet kind in case there's any doubt. It's as simple as it gets, it doesn't stretch and I've yet to see any damage to bark as a result of using them. Granted, if weight is an issue you might think twice but for short trips or if you tend to use a vehicle, why not? Even if the ratchet breaks as mechanical things are want to do when your furthest from the nearest hardware store, throw it into your trash bag, run the strap back to the eye of the other hook and tie it off. I don't even get fancy even though as a sailor I love to tie knots. In fact, if weight isn't that great an issue, just go without the ratchet.
    Oh yeah, I'm getting ready to do a coast to coast run on the Harley and upgrading my hammock to a Hennessy Explorer. The bugs are fierce back east and I'm sure I'll hit some pretty good precipitation. Later.

I would look into a bigger tarp along with the one that comes with your Hennessy. You can handle the weight so something like a 12x12 coated nylon tarp will give you room to park under in the rain or heavy sun. ;-)

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Mule, John View Post
    Where did you get your surplus navy hammock? And would you be kind enough to post up some pics? Thanks.

Fish<>< (also another navy dude)
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome, DM John. Like others, I use the yellow straps from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc., but only as tree huggers. I don't trust the ratchet mechanisms, and they're heavy. Don't forget all those tricks you figured out yourself over the years, and be sure to share them. Sometimes we get stuck in "the usual way of doing things", and all our setups start to look the same.

Images
    also ordered the hex fly - seemed to be enough to cover me and the Harley if I don't bring it down tight. Should be good just to keep the sap and dew off. Got a plastic sheet to cover the bike if necessary.

Images

da tarp

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I would look into a bigger tarp along with the one that comes with your Hennessy. You can handle the weight so something like a 12x12 coated nylon tarp will give you room to park under in the rain or heavy sun. ;-)
    I posted this below before I figured out how this thing works but anyway, I did order the hex fly, I've only seen pictures but seems it would cover me and the bike if I tie one side out far enough. If weather is really bad, I have a plastic sheet to cover the bike. I'll be out for a month so I'm trying to keep some of the weight down although it isn't a huge issue.

Images

Midnight Surplus

Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Where did you get your surplus navy hammock? And would you be kind enough to post up some pics? Thanks.

Fish<>< (also another navy dude)
    Hey, Fish. I got this thing from a friend of a friend who worked in supply - you know how it goes. I also had an Army jungle hammock with mosquito net and fly which worked OK. I'll try to dig out some old pics and scan them in to post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast