Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    How long have you been waiting for a chance to use this one?
    nah, spur of the moment. Facilitated no doubt by the fact that I'm up late working on a document that is due tomorrow. So naturally instead I'm wandering over to HF to see what's happening, bursting out in song, and so on....

ok, back to that document...

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    set to a slow 12 bar blues tune.
    Think Bob Dylan's "Meet Me in the Morning"
    Tom Waits could do that song well.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I love me some Tom Waits. Who says smoking is bad? Tom's voice wouldn't be what it is today without a heavy regimen of cigarettes.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 03-19-2008 at 11:50.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Tom Waits, still kicking

I was introduced to Tom Waits in college, by some like-minded friends.

Remarkable that he is still alive, I guess he got out of the alcohol burning lane.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC

6 nights in the Bear Mountain bridge

I got to spend a few minutes in the JRB BMB last fall at the MAHHA and instantly liked how you could sit up in it (great for reading) and I loved the absence of the left leg pain/nuisance I felt in my HH caused by the slit. I was a little concerned about the bug net being "droopy" and making the hammock feel closed in.

Over the next few months I also developed a concern about the shoulder squeeze based on several post I read (even though I did not remember feeling any at MAHHA).

Finally after lots pondering, a decent sale, and 100% satisfaction guarantee I pulled the trigger and placed my order.

My concern about the bug-net was obliterated as soon as I set the hammock up in my backyard. The net hangs high and taught providing plenty of room with at least 8" to 12" inches of clearance over my face.

Even though I did not feel the shoulder squeeze I figured a few hours in the backyard was not enough to form an opinion let alone post any type of review..............

Last week I got to spend 6 nights in my JRB Bear Mountain Bridge on a hike into the spring MAHHA hang with the Jacks (now that's close at hand customer service!) and figured I could justifiably post my experience with the hammock.

I am 6'3" 195 lbs. and had no shoulder squeeze at all! The increase in comfort between the JRB BMB over my HH is similar to the increase I felt when I switched from my tent to the HH.

In addition I tried a cut down Z-Rest in the pad pocket two nights (one with it under the head end and one with it under the foot end) the addition of the pad made no noticeable difference to the width of the hammock.

I am extremely happy with my purchase and am glad I took the risk (is there really a risk when there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee?) to decide if this was the right hammock for me.
    Last edited by DGrav; 04-28-2008 at 19:29.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I got to spend a few minutes in the JRB BMB last fall at the MAHHA and instantly liked how you could sit up in it (great for reading) and I loved the absence of the left leg pain/nuisance I felt in my HH caused by the slit. I was a little concerned about the bug net being "droopy" and making the hammock feel closed in.

Over the next few months I also developed a concern about the shoulder squeeze based on several post I read (even though I did not remember feeling any at MAHHA).

Finally after lots pondering, a decent sale, and 100% satisfaction guarantee I pulled the trigger and placed my order.

My concern about the bug-net was obliterated as soon as I set the hammock up in my backyard. The net hangs high and taught providing plenty of room with at least 8" to 12" inches of clearance over my face.

Even though I did not feel the shoulder squeeze I figured a few hours in the backyard was not enough to form an opinion let alone post any type of review..............

Last week I got to spend 6 nights in my JRB Bear Mountain Bridge on a hike into the spring MAHHA hang with the Jacks (now that's close at hand customer service!) and figured I could justifiably post my experience with the hammock.

I am 6'3" 195 lbs. and had no shoulder squeeze at all! The increase in comfort between the JRB BMB over my HH is similar to the increase I felt when I switched from my tent to the HH.

In addition I tried a cut down Z-Rest in the pad pocket two nights (one with it under the head end and one with it under the foot end) the addition of the pad made no noticeable difference to the width of the hammock.

I am extremely happy with my purchase and am glad I took the risk (is there really a risk when there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee?) to decide if this was the right hammock for me.

Cool great post. The lack of shoulder squeeze seems to happen to slimmer built folks such as yourself and I. Shoulder squeeze is a very subjective thing though. I love my JRB bridge and find it very comy but still feel somewhat squeezed in it. Not a problem when I put my hands on my chest as I lay on my back. I still wish it were wider. Wonder how the bigger model the Jacks talked about making is coming along?
    My DIY bridge is wider but not necessarily more comfy.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I am 6'3" 195 lbs. and had no shoulder squeeze at all! .
    Well, what the heck was my problem! ( 6'1", 205 lbs) They didn't increase the width, did they? Of course, I suppose 10 lbs lighter and 2" taller could make a dif.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    slimmer built folks such as yourself
    I'll take that as a compliment and run. I need to show this post to my wife!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, what the heck was my problem! ( 6'1", 205 lbs) They didn't increase the width, did they? Of course, I suppose 10 lbs lighter and 2" taller could make a dif.
    At MAHAA I got to try a BMB hammock and Pan mentioned that if you have your hands down at your sides you get squeeze but if you place them on your lap it raises your shoulders to fit the curve of the hammock and no squeeze. If you try it you'll see how your shoulders roll up. Just a guess. Or maybe you just have extra broad shoulders, everyone is built different.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Does using a pillow (or air pillow for you ultralighters) help with shoulder squeeze?

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast