XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images

I never thought it would lead to this...

There had always been hammocks around while growing up but I never thought it would lead to this...

Hammocks were always around growing up, they were for lounging, reading, swinging, playing but I never thought of them as integral to my way of life. All of that changed during the last year and now, well now I'm just trying to manage the obsessive compulsive disorder that follows from begining the quest for "my perfect setup".

Fond memories of sling hammocks hanging between the mangroves or palm trees of the South Pacific, bridge hammocks, rope hamocks dotting the docks of a backwoods creek in the Pinebarrens of NJ. The odd patio hammock poolside of the suburban back yard. All familiar sights. None of that prepared me for what was to come.

No, no i'm not spending $80 on an ENO rainfly I said this past week while shopping at REI. I have to research options, sizes, shapes, materials, tie outs, manufacturers and DIY options! OK, the mosquito net I'll take right now, but that's it, well, the bug net and the Omega Pacific rings, but that's all. Ah hell, gimme the Atlas straps too. See what an unresearched, uninformed, rash purchase can lead to? The dreaded ENO Atlas stretch bands.

Well, I'm not doing a thru hike next week and I haven't ordered my roll of webbing for the DIY straps yet, so the Atlas straps will stay for the time being. Won't even have the rest of my OP rings until next week. So biners and loop strap it is for the moment. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

A year or more ago I put a Double Hammock on the old wish lift and was gifted with a Grand Trunk Double. It was either going to be the Grand Trunk or ENO as LL Bean & REI were the goto sources for my family members bestowing the gifts.

Didn't get around to using the hammock until this summer while on vacation in Maine. Once setup, that hammock was occupied fulltime. And so was the other hammock that happened to be at the lakehouse we rented. The fulltime occupancy, and the chance to actually read and nap comfortably and undisturbed really caught my attention.

Forty-eight years on the planet, the last 20 with lower back pain, limited vacation time and this hammock that offered relief, solace and some sort of ability to almost make time stand still as I just lay there hanging in the breeze. Only the unexpected leap of one or both of my dogs into the hammock disturbed this placid cocoon. And soon even they were slumbering, picking up on the hanger vibe. Well this kind of joy needed, no, deserved more investigation. What could I do to bring more of this into my life. So began the research...

Hours of digging through the Internet, scavenging, gleening and lurking followed. So did a rash purchase or two, as did the Hammock Overnight Reports as I began to sleep overnight in the backyard for no other reason than research. Research for what? Something is cooking in my brain.

Maybe it was the setting up of the 8 man behemoth of a tent in the rain during the camping part of my last vacation. Maybe it was growing tired of sleeping on the ground, excellent thermarest pad aside, there were always aches and pains. Maybe it was the simplicity, the ease of setup or teardown. Maybe I just wanted to be back out under the stars, whatever the reason, famiy & friends continue to ask, 'are you really going to sleep outside again tonight?'. Yes, yes I am.

Yes I am sleeping outside in a hammock, have my bug net, working on figuring out how to secure that thermarest pad and keep the back warm as temps dip into the 40's at night. Sure I just dropped $2000 on a new bed/mattress and boxspring hoping to help back problems, but I've got this nifty new hammock and dadgum if I'm not sleeping well again. Hah! Henessey, Warbonnet Blackbird, Clark, ENO or DIY, who knows what is next. The gathering of info continues, the brown truck will be dropping off materials soon. Only to be followed with the concerned questions of loved ones....

'You going to sleep out in the woods again?"

Yep, I probably am.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    So now I've got my 3/4 length thermarest pad to secure. Thinking about a sleeve but reading about a double layer option. Considering buying, making the wing setup. For sure will be buying a tarp soon, gonna rain soon, no doubt.

Will use the Atlas straps and biners for now but will switch soon enough.

Only question now is, do I hang it in the backyard again tonight or do I just head back out into the woods because it just happens to be a nice night.

See you in the trees...
    -RD

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wonderful first post and a warm welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    You have been bitten by the hammockus relaxii bug....there is no known cure. Welcome to the trees, from the Black Hills of South Dakota!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Heck of an intro! Welcome!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Hello and welcome to HF from Georgia.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I have the same affliction. I just left walmart with ratchet straps that will never see racheting. My BIAS is on its way from me and the GT I bought will be fixed up for my son. The cubscouts wont be the same.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome from another in Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Most excellent post!!!!!
    Mike