Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    It's possible Jeff was thinking you were talking about adding a ridge to a homemade hammock, not cutting your HH ridge...

I tied a bight in both cut ends of the original ridge. I also added a piece of my own cord (make sure it's strong enough) because the original ridgeline wasn't long enough and my bugnet was sagging a bit. Basically, you just want to end up with two bights, through which you can clip your 'biner however you want.

I can try to draw something up if you want.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    It's possible Jeff was thinking you were talking about adding a ridge to a homemade hammock, not cutting your HH ridge...

I tied a bight in both cut ends of the original ridge. I also added a piece of my own cord (make sure it's strong enough) because the original ridgeline wasn't long enough and my bugnet was sagging a bit. Basically, you just want to end up with two bights, through which you can clip your 'biner however you want.

I can try to draw something up if you want.
    I wondered that too at first, but thought I'd ask him anyway. Well, what I've found is that many times, after I've hung it, sat in it, hung all my gear on it and stretched it a bit, I can hook/unhook the biner without having to retie my hammock. I just have to pull pretty hard, and this was before I put nice big loops in the ends like I have now. (I'm only unhooking one end btw) I think the way I have it now will work pretty good.

I would like to see a pic of what you're talking about though. Glad to see everyone has realized how much of a dunce I am about stuff, unless I can see it. I'm an extreme version of the visual learner!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Check out the pic Jeff took of my ridgeline at Hot Springs:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesHotSprings.html

If that's not enough detail for you, let me know and I'll draw something.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Ok, I looked at the pic again. Here's what I see. You tied two pieces of some other cord to the ends of your cut spectra. Those new pieces are tied to the biner.

2 questions now. How does this allow you to keep the hammock tied and remove/hook up your ridgeline? And what exactly is a bight? Is it something adjustable?

Man...you've done it now huh? haa haa haa
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Lol nah...no problem.

A 'bight' is a knot-tying term for a static loop. Nothing fancy to it. Double overhand, double figure eight, etc.

With the two loops and the 'biner, I can go one of two ways on doing/undoing the ridge. Generally, I leave the hang pretty loose when I first get into camp. I undo the ridge. Then I can lounge to cook and whatever. When I'm ready for bed, I rehook the ridge and tension the supports the rest of the way - I like my HH pretty tight.

The other thing I've noticed is that, even after extended use, I still get some stretch in my setup after I've been in it a while. I don't know if it's in the suspension or the hammock itself, but it's there. That allows me enough slack to undo the 'biner after everything's been tightened, like in the morning for cooking.

The extra piece in my ridge is just some of the stock HH support spectra, which I added to lengthen the ridge - it was too short when I got it, like I said. If yours isn't, you shouldn't need that part. The extra length of the 'biner should account for the ridge cord you use up tying the bights.

Feel free to ask away!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Michele, I thought you were trying to completely remove the ridgeline...forget about what I said. Just use the biner like Patrick says. Sorry about the confusion.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Just an update on those 500kg biners-

I used them last weekend and was perfectly fine with them. Before I left, I hung my hammock in the basement (the floor joists are perfectly spaced!), sat in my hammock and BOUNCED as hard as I could at least a dozen times, putting WAY more stress on my hammock and those biners than I EVER would in real life.

No sign of any deformation.

I'm sold! I put away my heavy biners and these are now the standard equipment for hanging my hammock!

Once more with the link to the biners in question:

https://www.shop.treklightonline.com...0&categoryId=4

Jonas

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Michele, I thought you were trying to completely remove the ridgeline...forget about what I said. Just use the biner like Patrick says. Sorry about the confusion.
    Ok...cool. I thought I'd smoked too much crack or something when I couldn't figure out how to use those knots you suggested!

I think I've got something that works really good now. Just gotta get out there and test it. I'm going to try to do an overnighter in this cold Michigan weather in late February.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Now that I have a zipper mod on my HH, I want to get a carabiner on my ridgeline, and upgrade the ridgeline center cord. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the old threads.

What is a good carabiner to put on the ridgeline? Obviously I want small and light, but I also want to avoid shiny silver or obnoxious colors.

And how about good cording for the ridgeline? I suppose the stock cord is satisfactory, but what else is out there, in a subdued color?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    Now that I have a zipper mod on my HH, I want to get a carabiner on my ridgeline, and upgrade the ridgeline center cord. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the old threads.

What is a good carabiner to put on the ridgeline? Obviously I want small and light, but I also want to avoid shiny silver or obnoxious colors.

And how about good cording for the ridgeline? I suppose the stock cord is satisfactory, but what else is out there, in a subdued color?
    The ridgeline shouldn't have more than 100 lbs of force on it---can have way less if you understand what you're doing when you hang---and so the cheap lightweight biners you can get in a big box like Home Depot ought to be just fine.

LashIt is some really strong, really light stuff, and is available in grey. That's what my ridgeline is made of these days.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast