Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Would an ENO bug net fit around the JRB Bear hammock? If it does seems like you could have the best of both worlds.
    I would think you would have issues with the spreader bars getting in the way but I'm just assuming.
    It might work.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Is the omni-tape just another name for velcro or is it something else? Also would the pad pocket except a 25" wide 3.5" thick pad? I know the site says the width will fit I am wondering about the thickness

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Is the omni-tape just another name for velcro or is it something else? Also would the pad pocket except a 25" wide 3.5" thick pad? I know the site says the width will fit I am wondering about the thickness
    Omni Tape doesn't have a male and female side like regular Velcro does. It's the same on both sides. It also less prone to snagging and doesn't fray like standard Velcro will do over time.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=omni+tape

I remember Pan saying it will accept pads 1 or 2" thick. I think that 3.5" pad would fit but it might raise your center of gravity more than you like. Just guessing.
    As others have pointed out, that pad is overkill in a hammock. The beuty of the bridge hammock is a pad in the pad pocket really does feel as good as having no pad at all.
    No manuevering the pad into the diagonal position. No pad buckling at the head and foot ends. No excess pad pocket room that allows your pad to shift.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=omni+tape

I remember Pan saying it will accept pads 1 or 2" thick. I think that 3.5" pad would fit but it might raise your center of gravity more than you like. Just guessing.
    As others have pointed out, that pad is overkill in a hammock. The beuty of the bridge hammock is a pad in the pad pocket really does feel as good as having no pad at all.
    No manuevering the pad into the diagonal position. No pad buckling at the head and foot ends. No excess pad pocket room that allows your pad to shift.
    I know I know. I just cant part with this pad. Living here in AZ I only can spend about 1/3 of my time camping in a hammock and for me this pad is a must on the ground. I am just trying to get a hammock that will accomedate this pad and that might be impossible. I really dont want to get another pad(or underquilt) just for hammocks. If I understand you right you really dont need a pad in the bridge hammock? I was thinking my wide/thick pad might reduce shoulder squeeze a bit

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Would an ENO bug net fit around the JRB Bear hammock? If it does seems like you could have the best of both worlds.
    I'm not sure. It does sound like a good idea to give it a try. And it's a good thing that my hiking buddy has a Double Nest. I'll be able to have, as you said, exactly what I'm looking for; a ridge line and a net sans omni tape.

Thanks for the idea.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by clwilla View Post
    I'm not sure. It does sound like a good idea to give it a try. And it's a good thing that my hiking buddy has a Double Nest. I'll be able to have, as you said, exactly what I'm looking for; a ridge line and a net sans omni tape.

Thanks for the idea.
    Well let me know how it works. I emailed JRB tonight to see if I could order a custom hammock or if they had plans for a "big and tall" model as I'm taller then what they recommend. If they will do that for me I would be very interested in buying one and using it with the ENO net

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Well let me know how it works. I emailed JRB tonight to see if I could order a custom hammock or if they had plans for a "big and tall" model as I'm taller then what they recommend. If they will do that for me I would be very interested in buying one and using it with the ENO net
    Considering they plan on taking their bridge to the open commercial market, they would almost have to make their system a bit more modular, and make other varieties (I.e., hammocks for bigger folk). One would hope that they might also consider more options for their current bug net other than the omni tape only route.

One things that is a drawback to the eno net, is that the ridge is on the outside of the net, meaning that one can't hang anything from it (the net hangs from it via small clips like a tent hangs on to its poles. I'd certainly settle for the usability of a zippered net over the omni tape any day, however.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I know I know. I just cant part with this pad. Living here in AZ I only can spend about 1/3 of my time camping in a hammock and for me this pad is a must on the ground. I am just trying to get a hammock that will accomedate this pad and that might be impossible. I really dont want to get another pad(or underquilt) just for hammocks. If I understand you right you really dont need a pad in the bridge hammock? I was thinking my wide/thick pad might reduce shoulder squeeze a bit
    A wally world 24" wide closed cell pad is cheaper than cheap. It works well in this hammock. I was refering to how it feels the same with or without a pad IMO.
    BillyBob 58 has some experience with trying a thicker pad I do believe.

Images
    If it is wide enough, I think that thick pad will indeed give you a bit more room than without. More than a bit in the knees when on your side. If it is not too thick to get in the pocket. I have used a thick ( at least 2"? not sure, a Thermarest Camprest) in the BMBH, and it makes a very noticeable dif. But the comfort still feels just fine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast