Hammock
    Woodland Edge Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition
    Insulation
    Down under Quilt
    Images

Thumbs up Hammock Deployment

Hi there all, hope what I am about to post does not contravene the rules of this forum, if it does I apologies and fully expect the Mod's to delete, and no hard feelings.
    Now first I am an open Canadian canoeist, I have a 16' Mad River Explorer canoe, which I now use to explore the great outdoors, due to my having health problems and can no longer go Hiking, wont bore you with details its a femoral artery blockage in my legs.
    So this is my main reason for taking up canoeing, now to the Hammocking part, I'm not a complete stranger to hammocking, but must confess till I came on to this site I didn't realise how little I knew, to cut a long story short, I am now equipped with a hammock, under quilt, weather shield, and a top quilt.
    I have recently rigged them altogether, so all I have to do to deploy is to put one climbing sling around one tree hook one end of hammock to sling with carabiner which is on one end of hammock, then to other tree I fix a canoe strap, the sort that I use to fasten canoe onto my trailer with, this being adjustable is great, so all I do then is with the other end of the hammock clip the carabiner onto the sling adjust to tension and hammock is deployed, with everything in place, ie, under quilt, weather shield, all that remains is to slide in the inflatable Therma Rest into the double skinned hammock, chuck in my top quilt, job done.
    Incidentally forgot to say, I would have first deployed my Tarp, a prerequisite of hammocking I think I'm right in saying.
    Now comes the break camp bit, just the reverse of deployment and the hammock all goes into a waterproof canoe sack, to make things a little better I am thinking seriously about purchasing a JRB sock and or Python skins, can anyone see any problems with that. I can only think of one and that is IF, the system was wet, hopefully unlikely but in that event it would be a case of removing wet weather shield first. There are some pics of the set up in my back garden, on my pic gallery if you care to see.
    Thank you for reading this hope it wasn't to boring, but would appreciate any comments on my set up, I am always willing to learn. Happy Hammocking Regards Bill.
    Improvise, Utalise, Adapt and Overcome
    Look at, not What it is, But what it could Become.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What would be against the rules in that post?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    What would be against the rules in that post?
    You don't see it!?! He used big words like prerequisite, contravene, incedentally, and he used "if" in all caps like IF. So that made it a big word by making it bigger. Now I gotta go find one of them book-o-words to see what all that stuff means.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 3-Season set
    Suspension
    stock BB webbing
    Images
    Heck, I'm looking at what you're doing. Most of what camping I'll be doing will mostly be by canoe or small raft. Hanging hammock on the way, of course. I've got back and walking issues, too, that often make hiking unrealistic for me.

But any way you get out to the boonies is good, yes?

I just scored a cheap, but salvageable, mid-size pack from Wally World. $20. It's a tad heavy, but I can trim off a lot of excess crappage and lighten it up. But it's best feature is that it's forcing me to really get my kit lighter and smaller. I'm using dry bags to hold the major gear---bedding/hammock; clothing and personals; kitchen and food. The smaller stuff (med kit, essentials) go in smaller dry or silnyl bags. A lot of my kit---bedding, kitchen, etc.---is DIY.

My canoe is a big 17.5 ft. Coleman "tupperware." It's an older model, with a Kevlar shell supported by an aluminum frame. It rocks, but it's a big handful for me solo. I also have a small blow-up raft that I can do downriver runs with a small kit, if I'm careful. But taking that toy upstream is a real hassle.

Anyway, welcome.

Best,
    Mal/HS
    Half Step, aka Mal the Elder
    "In one ear and out the other,
    Don't you get criss-crossed.
    I recommend you try a little
    Mental floss. . .
    "

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    canalvoyageur,

No need for timidity or formality. Just jump in and start spouting the President's English.

You have an interesting kit. By Python skin I assume you are referring to Hennessy Hammock snake skins used for convenient and quick storage of the hammock? I didn't know JRB makes socks (I just checked their website and didn't see mention of them), but isn't a hammock sock somewhat equivalent to a bivvy sack -- i.e., something to sleep in and keep wind and rain out rather than for storage? I'd never though about it being a benefit for storage, but I guess it would work -- just more fabric (and weight) than snake skins, but then you get multifunctionality.

Looks like you have a serious tarp -- what are its dimensions? In fact, I'd appreciate hearing more about your entire kit.

Finally, I'm guessing that your canals course through private land? If so, how do you find a camp site?

Welcome,

FarStar

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    JRB used to make Python Skins about the size of HH Snakeskins #4.

Most of us use Hammock Sock to mean something like a hammock bivy, but there is one company that sells a packcloth tube to store the hammock in that's called a Hammock Sock as well. Not a piece of hiking gear, though...it's heavy and not made for backpacking hammocks.

I use a Blackbishop Sack for storing the hammock, underquilt and top quilt in the same bag. I used to use mesh snakeskins for the tarp, but now I don't use anything for the tarp...just stuff it in the outer pocket of my pack. Might go back to the skins sometime, though...it sure was convenient when I wasn't sure if it would rain or not.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by canalvoyageur View Post
    Hi there all, hope what I am about to post does not contravene the rules of this forum, if it does I apologies and fully expect the Mod's to delete, and no hard feelings.
    Now first I am an open Canadian canoeist, I have a 16' Mad River Explorer canoe, which I now use to explore the great outdoors, due to my having health problems and can no longer go Hiking, wont bore you with details its a femoral artery blockage in my legs.
    So this is my main reason for taking up canoeing, now to the Hammocking part, I'm not a complete stranger to hammocking, but must confess till I came on to this site I didn't realise how little I knew, to cut a long story short, I am now equipped with a hammock, under quilt, weather shield, and a top quilt.
    I have recently rigged them altogether, so all I have to do to deploy is to put one climbing sling around one tree hook one end of hammock to sling with carabiner which is on one end of hammock, then to other tree I fix a canoe strap, the sort that I use to fasten canoe onto my trailer with, this being adjustable is great, so all I do then is with the other end of the hammock clip the carabiner onto the sling adjust to tension and hammock is deployed, with everything in place, ie, under quilt, weather shield, all that remains is to slide in the inflatable Therma Rest into the double skinned hammock, chuck in my top quilt, job done.
    Incidentally forgot to say, I would have first deployed my Tarp, a prerequisite of hammocking I think I'm right in saying.
    Now comes the break camp bit, just the reverse of deployment and the hammock all goes into a waterproof canoe sack, to make things a little better I am thinking seriously about purchasing a JRB sock and or Python skins, can anyone see any problems with that. I can only think of one and that is IF, the system was wet, hopefully unlikely but in that event it would be a case of removing wet weather shield first. There are some pics of the set up in my back garden, on my pic gallery if you care to see.
    Thank you for reading this hope it wasn't to boring, but would appreciate any comments on my set up, I am always willing to learn. Happy Hammocking Regards Bill.

i love paddling also.i am a yaking foolneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition
    Insulation
    Down under Quilt
    Images

Thumbs up Canoeing, Camping Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    canalvoyageur,

No need for timidity or formality. Just jump in and start spouting the President's English.

You have an interesting kit. By Python skin I assume you are referring to Hennessy Hammock snake skins used for convenient and quick storage of the hammock? I didn't know JRB makes socks (I just checked their website and didn't see mention of them), but isn't a hammock sock somewhat equivalent to a bivvy sack -- i.e., something to sleep in and keep wind and rain out rather than for storage? I'd never though about it being a benefit for storage, but I guess it would work -- just more fabric (and weight) than snake skins, but then you get multifunctionality.

Looks like you have a serious tarp -- what are its dimensions? In fact, I'd appreciate hearing more about your entire kit.

Finally, I'm guessing that your canals course through private land? If so, how do you find a camp site?

Welcome,

FarStar
    Hi there FarStar, thank you for your kind remarks and the interest shown in my pursuits, to answer some of your questions, the tarp in question is 5mtr x 3mtr and is Heavy duty material, it has its own sewn in stuff sack, much to heavy for back packing.
    Now as to the canals, not as you suspect all canals in England are open to the public by means of a Tow path which was used by the horse to tow the boats along laden with commercial goods, so the public can use the tow paths to Walk, Cycle, and in places picnic and of course to go on the water in canoes, kayak, inflatables, or Narrowboat and cruisers, its a very slow pace as the speed limit is 5 miles per hour, a pace that suits a lot of folk including me, more wildlife and views can be seen, than from a motor vehicle, which I am sure the Hikers among us will appreciate, Camping along the canals is not encouraged but I have never had any problem, if the space available I pitch my Tentipi, or if woodland present Hang my Hammock, I should have said to go on the water you have to have a licence mine is only £30-00 app, a large narrowboat is an awful lot more, not sure of exact cost but in the Hundreds of pounds.
    The only problem we have in England is for access to rivers and camping only at recognised camp sites which there very few of, but if you are on your own or maybe two or three and are sensible you can get away with what we call Wild Camping, and of course a Hammock is ideal as the terrain doesn't matter as long as we have trees we can camp.
    Now as to the rest of my gear that I have, first I must explain, that being an Ex Paratrooper, I like to be self sufficient, so I carry everything that I think I will need, and of course now a hell of a lot older I like my bit of comfort, I used to sleep under my canoe with just a tarp over me, I used a Bivvy Bag and Sleeping Bag for comfort, but as I got past 60, I felt that I needed more comfort, so enter the Tentipi, and Hammock.
    To carry all my gear I use Duluth Packs made over in the good old USA Duluth Minnesota, but I'm sure you know that, they do all the traditional canoe gear, even got myself a Whiskey Jack Voyageur Paddle, God I do rabbit on dont I, if the Mods allow I will try and post some pics for you to see. I know of your canoe and yes they are quite an hand full but very robust, Thank you and Thank you to the other Guys who have read and replied to my post.
    Remember we all have something in common, We all love the outdoors the feeling of freedom, the beauty of the countryside, the peace and tranquility. Happy Hammocking my friends Best Regards Bill.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    To carry all my gear I use Duluth Packs made over in the good old USA Duluth Minnesota
    Oh yes, I know Duluth packs. I think I still have one stuffed in a closet somewhere. They are quite heavy. This particular one outlasted my dad and I'm pretty sure it'll outlast me as well.

even got myself a Whiskey Jack Voyageur Paddle
    Oooooh, pretty paddles!

I sold my canoe a few years ago - nowhere to store it at the new place and hadn't used it in years. Fellow who bought it was very glad to get it, so I don't feel bad about giving it up.

liz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition
    Insulation
    Down under Quilt
    Images

Thumbs up Snake Skin

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    JRB used to make Python Skins about the size of HH Snakeskins #4.

Most of us use Hammock Sock to mean something like a hammock bivy, but there is one company that sells a packcloth tube to store the hammock in that's called a Hammock Sock as well. Not a piece of hiking gear, though...it's heavy and not made for backpacking hammocks.

I use a Blackbishop Sack for storing the hammock, underquilt and top quilt in the same bag. I used to use mesh snakeskins for the tarp, but now I don't use anything for the tarp...just stuff it in the outer pocket of my pack. Might go back to the skins sometime, though...it sure was convenient when I wasn't sure if it would rain or not.
    Hi there thank you for your comments suggestions, I have decided to make my own, not so much a snake skin more of a sock, then stow it all in an canoe dry bag, should be ok, time with use will tell, I to dont use skins for the Tarp, as my Tarp has its own Stuff sack attached, a use for the stuff sack when Tarp is deployed is to use a canoe paddle as a center pole when Tarp is used as a shelter, going to put on some pics in gallery if they are accepted, Thank you once again Happy Hammocking Bill

• + New Posts