Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post
    Heck, i even had condensation on the mosquito net in my BB.

So this Winter i am going to go simple, like the travler.
    There are several advantages to winter camping around here. One is that food doesn't spoil, so you can take CHEESE on the trail. ( I like that ) Another is that there are no bears so you can eat in your sleeping bag. ( I like that too ) and the biggest and best advantage that brings me back to the thread's topic: THERE ARE NO BUGS!!! You really could easily justify not having a bugnet at all. Simpler is better.

Now everyone has to have a summer hammock and a winter hammock, that's all there is to it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSoda View Post
    There are several advantages to winter camping around here. One is that food doesn't spoil, so you can take CHEESE on the trail. ( I like that ) Another is that there are no bears so you can eat in your sleeping bag. ( I like that too ) and the biggest and best advantage that brings me back to the thread's topic: THERE ARE NO BUGS!!! You really could easily justify not having a bugnet at all. Simpler is better.

Now everyone has to have a summer hammock and a winter hammock, that's all there is to it.

I agree with most of what you say
    But a lot of people here, have more than a winter and a summer hammock
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I agree with most of what you say
    But a lot of people here, have more than a winter and a summer hammock
    True dat.

Friday casual on Sunday would be so....gauche!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I just use a no net hammock with a hammock sock and pea pod wrapped around it in the winter-time. That way I can be sneaky and stealth camp without getting caught.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    The one huge difference that you will notice is that the Warbonnet will be like going from a twin bed to a king sized bed! There is that much room in there. Another plus is that the tarp is separate from the hammock giving you many more options. I find the Clark to be closed in while the WB is open and airy.
    I agree!!!

If these are your options, try to find out if you like a wide open, really huge inside feel to your hammock (that would be the Warbonnet), or if like me, I like a hammock that forms up right to me giving me that secure feeling (my Clark). Plus I really like that weathershield!!! One thing though, about the tarp being connected to the clark hammock... as soon as I was comfortable with my Clark, setting it up and taking it down... I detached the tarp from the hammock. I now keep the tarp in a separate bag so I can put it up first if it's raining or take it down last and put it away so my hammock doesn't get wet.

these two models of hammock are like night and day different from each other!!! Both are top of the line though. And both are extreamly well made. You just need to figure out how you're gonna like their differences.
    TinaLouise

Images
    I have a Clark NA stored somewhere and hasn't been out for a long time
    Too much, too heavy.

I am starting to lean towards "less is more" during the winter b/c of condensation.
    Had some major condensation in my Clark NA.
    Heck, i even had condensation on the mosquito net in my BB.

So this Winter i am going to go simple, like the travler.
    i find when i go without a net in winter i'll get alot more frost on my tq. this has happened a coupke times with no nets, but never anywhere near that bad with just netting... something to look out for

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i find when i go without a net in winter i'll get alot more frost on my tq. this has happened a coupke times with no nets, but never anywhere near that bad with just netting... something to look out for
    Interesting. The last time I was out I woke up to frost on the outer shell of my top quilt. I was using my Blackbird with the BBO top cover with the hammock zipped all the way shut. The BB bug netting and top cover were both frozen stiff with ice. I figured I should have vented more by maybe keeping the hammock partially unzipped. I guess frost is just something you have to deal with in cold weather no matter what you do. Not a real big deal. Just a little annoying when you pack up the next day. The worst part though is when you get home and bring the gear inside and everything thaws out making for some wet gear. I've thought about wearing one of those cheap respirator masks at night to see if that cuts down on condensation inside the hammock.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I hang a sponge over my head to absorb the moisture from my breath when I use my hammock sock. I am not sure if it works or stops and condensation.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I love my Clark!

That said, I see no reason to only have ONE hammock, as long as finances allow. I'm hoping to complete a DIY soon, and I also would like to eventually purchase a WBBB as well. Variety is the spice...

And I second what TinaLouise said. I hang the tarp separately from the hammock.
    As soon as I am able to, I will be replacing the stock tarp completely. I am not a big fan of the stock Clark tarp.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    I use a Warbonnet Blackbird. I've spent a few trips in a different camping hammock here and there but I can't get used to being so confined, you know? Another thing, it seems to me that the Warbonnet is more versatile, you can add and modify a lot more to your personal liking. But in the end it comes down to personal preference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast