DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    in 2002 i broke 2 vertebrae in my back & 13 breaks or fractures in ribs. when i discovered the combination of the hammock w/ a partly inflated air mat in early 2005, i was in heaven!!!
    been sleeping w/ that combo every since. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    in 2002 i broke 2 vertebrae in my back & 13 breaks or fractures in ribs. when i discovered the combination of the hammock w/ a partly inflated air mat in early 2005, i was in heaven!!!
    been sleeping w/ that combo every since. ...tim
    I've had numerous fractures, but can't claim any to my back or neck. But I have taken to sleeping out on my back porch in my hammock when I'm at home on a night off. I sleep a LOT more comfortably in it than I do in my bed. I may build a hammock stand some time before fall/winter hit for indoor use and get rid of the bed. If I do, I'll probably make a double so Short Stuff can snooze in his too.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I've had numerous fractures, but can't claim any to my back or neck. But I have taken to sleeping out on my back porch in my hammock when I'm at home on a night off. I sleep a LOT more comfortably in it than I do in my bed. I may build a hammock stand some time before fall/winter hit for indoor use and get rid of the bed. If I do, I'll probably make a double so Short Stuff can snooze in his too.
    a double stand would be a great idea & fairly easy to do in a bed room.
    short stuff would be the envy of all his friends. they might even want to show their parents short stuff's hammock!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I may build a hammock stand some time before fall/winter hit for indoor use and get rid of the bed.
    hmmm, you might want to keep the bed for overnight guest

Images
    Basically I am sick of lolli gagging and doing Mickey Mouse exercises. I want to tough it out. Its just "weak muscles". Not a pull or slipped disk or anything like that. I know of a lot of ppl that hike with WORSE health problems. Maybe I'm just being a woman!?[/QUOTE]

Rockstar,

Don't give up on those exercises. My icon is an x-ray of my lower back (thanks to a woman who ran a red light). If I don't do my stretches daily I start to lose my range of motion very quickly. Don't feel like you're wimping out. I met a woman in physical rehab that delivered her baby naurally. She said that the birthing pain she experienced was nothing compared to her back pain after her auto accident. She said "the fact that some women choose to have more than one baby is proof of that." My muscles are weak also and it's because it hurts me to exercise them a lot. I've found that flexibility and a light load go a long way toward keeping my back from complaining too loudly. Trekking poles help me to maintain my balance which takes a large burden off my lumbar muscles. Last but certainly not least is my hammock! This one piece of equipment has made it possible for me to sleep outdoors. I can sleep ok on a thick air mattress but I have a very hard time getting up from and down to the ground. My advice is to make a test hammock out of inexpenisve materials and give it a try. It might be just the ticket. Good luck and let us know how things work out.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    My back hasn't been giving me much trouble. Overall I have a weak lower back. It takes some fine tuned exercises to get it going in a stronger direction and not much to put it out of wack again. Which leads to me throwing my hands up in frustration.

My question is...if my back is just weak and my main problem hiking was losing sleep b/c of spasms...do you think sleeping in the hammock will help me get some sleep and reduce the spasms? And over time my back will strengthen?

Most of the time once I got up and got going my back would warm up and be okay. A little tight on the uphill but, no spasms. After DAYS of losing sleep though, it begins to cause my shoulders to fatigue and so then my back AND shoulders start to tense up as I hike.

Basically I am sick of lolli gagging and doing Mickey Mouse exercises. I want to tough it out. Its just "weak muscles". Not a pull or slipped disk or anything like that. I know of a lot of ppl that hike with WORSE health problems. Maybe I'm just being a woman!?
    RockStar, may I suggest getting one of those huge exercise balls and sitting on it instead of your computer chair? Because it is round and has no back, your body is constantly making fine adjustments with the 'core' muscles -- it has really helped my abs and back muscles.

Images
    I also had a simular problem with spasms in my lower back. I had gotten out of my bike riding for a few years because of having to spend long hours at work and then it started coming on. After my doctor got tired of seeing me in her office she told me I needed to find something aerobic to do and she said biking would be perfect. By the way, she said it's brought on by stress. I got back into riding and I haven't had one in years. I was told to do those little exercises too, but they're boring. Get a bike and some bags, grab the hammock and hit the road. I head out on Saturday's and ride as far as I can then hang for the night. Which forces me to ride back that far on Sunday. You get rid of stress and get to hang too.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    hmmm, you might want to keep the bed for overnight guest
    My overnight guest liked my hammock, thank you very much.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Has anyone here tried yoga with respect to their backs? I am thinking about picking that up when I get back from my hike.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    Basically I am sick of lolli gagging and doing Mickey Mouse exercises. I want to tough it out. Its just "weak muscles". Not a pull or slipped disk or anything like that. I know of a lot of ppl that hike with WORSE health problems. Maybe I'm just being a woman!?
    Rockstar,

Don't give up on those exercises. My icon is an x-ray of my lower back (thanks to a woman who ran a red light). If I don't do my stretches daily I start to lose my range of motion very quickly. Don't feel like you're wimping out. I met a woman in physical rehab that delivered her baby naurally. She said that the birthing pain she experienced was nothing compared to her back pain after her auto accident. She said "the fact that some women choose to have more than one baby is proof of that." My muscles are weak also and it's because it hurts me to exercise them a lot. I've found that flexibility and a light load go a long way toward keeping my back from complaining too loudly. Trekking poles help me to maintain my balance which takes a large burden off my lumbar muscles. Last but certainly not least is my hammock! This one piece of equipment has made it possible for me to sleep outdoors. I can sleep ok on a thick air mattress but I have a very hard time getting up from and down to the ground. My advice is to make a test hammock out of inexpenisve materials and give it a try. It might be just the ticket. Good luck and let us know how things work out.[/QUOTE]

The Stretches are fine...the resistance band they gave me is Mickey Mouse all the way. I prefer light weights. I just LIKE weights and the gym. I know I get out what I put in at the gym and they get paid the same per month. Unlike the P.T.s that get paid for the DURATION of my treatment. They start me on exercises then leave the room until I am done. If my job was that easy I would ALSO have ppl doing Mickey Mouse exercises to keep padding my pocket with insurance money! I can get the same results faster at a gym. Only my insurance WONT pay for that. Sadly enough.

I DO have a hammock and Tarp already.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Don't know if this is any help or not, but: I get muscle cramps in my lower back unless I keep the muscles toned and stretched. For stretching I have found that 2 excercises help me a lot: 1. Simply bending over, knees locked and touching the floor just in front of my toes, using my knuckles instead of my finger tips works even better. Repeat at least 10 times. Do not touch the floor for more than 2 seconds. 2. laying flat on my back, arms at my sides, hands palm down and on the floor. Lock the knees and raise the legs, up and over the head and touch the floor above the head with the toes. It may take a while to get that far, but keep trying. Hold for no more than 2 seconds, any longer and the back muscles will contract which you do not want. Since I have been doing the above religiously every day, my lower back cramps are no more. My back tightens up if I miss for more than 2 or 3 days.

The first one I already do sometimes. The second I was told is "advanced" and was causing more problems b/c the muslces weren't ready for that. However the Mickey Mouse troop told me that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    RockStar, may I suggest getting one of those huge exercise balls and sitting on it instead of your computer chair? Because it is round and has no back, your body is constantly making fine adjustments with the 'core' muscles -- it has really helped my abs and back muscles.
    THIS is an idea as the chair hurts my back unless I use the back heat massager I got for Christmas! I am short and most chairs hurt my back b/c of the way my "complex" would have me sit in them. Oh how the needy ego needs.

Quote Originally Posted by btourer View Post
    I also had a simular problem with spasms in my lower back. I had gotten out of my bike riding for a few years because of having to spend long hours at work and then it started coming on. After my doctor got tired of seeing me in her office she told me I needed to find something aerobic to do and she said biking would be perfect. By the way, she said it's brought on by stress. I got back into riding and I haven't had one in years. I was told to do those little exercises too, but they're boring. Get a bike and some bags, grab the hammock and hit the road. I head out on Saturday's and ride as far as I can then hang for the night. Which forces me to ride back that far on Sunday. You get rid of stress and get to hang too.

I thought about getting a bike but, being over analytical(sp) and undergifted in the height department-I havent found a bike SMALL enough yet rugged enough to handle that kind of biking. Basically BMX style bikes are the only I can ride without jumping on and off of! *I live in a small town and Wal Mart is the low price low quality leader here.* A friend bought a bike there and 2 years later took it to have something fixed at a Bike shop...the bike had been put together wrong and she didn't even know it. The front tire wasn't even LOCKED into place. The guy said he doesnt know HOW she never did a face plant!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast