Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH
    Insulation
    ridge rest pad
    Suspension
    nylon straps

re-introducing myself (in GA)

Hey yall. I got a hammock (claytor) a little over a year ago and joined the forum, but never participated much. I have started backpacking a bit more and loving the hammock, and I think I am going to be around a bit more often. Great forum. I think y'all have me about convinced to get a sewing machine to make some new straps for my hammock.

I'm in Lawrenceville, GA which is a NE suburb of Atlanta.

One question: are dogs okay sleeping outside in the temperatures the North GA mountains get to at night during the late fall and early spring? Im thinking about getting a tent to give her some place to curl up by me if we are out in cold weather. For now, shes fine laying under the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Glad the have you back posting with us. I am not quite familiar with your fall and spring temps in North Georgia. But here in Southern Maryland they can get down to the low thirties to mid twenties at times. In those conditions I use my Speer Winter Tarp pitched with the sides low to the ground and with the end flaps staked in. Which creates a almost tent like set up. I use a tyvek ground cloth under my hammock. When my dog comes with me. I carry a small fleece throw blanket. That I put on the tyvek and she burrows into and curls up in that and seems to do just fine. She likes the fact that she is close to me. I never tried putting a tent up for. But I do not think that she would like being away from me anyhow and I would not like to have to carry the extra weight.
    Terry

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH
    Insulation
    ridge rest pad
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Glad the have you back posting with us. I am not quite familiar with your fall and spring temps in North Georgia. But here in Southern Maryland they can get down to the low thirties to mid twenties at times. In those conditions I use my Speer Winter Tarp pitched with the sides low to the ground and with the end flaps staked in. Which creates a almost tent like set up. I use a tyvek ground cloth under my hammock. When my dog comes with me. I carry a small fleece throw blanket. That I put on the tyvek and she burrows into and curls up in that and seems to do just fine. She likes the fact that she is close to me. I never tried putting a tent up for. But I do not think that she would like being away from me anyhow and I would not like to have to carry the extra weight.

Thanks poppabear I guess I will try doing something like that when its colder out and see how she handles it. I wasn't talking about bringing a tent and a hammock, I was wondering if I needed to switch to a tent when its cold to have the dog sleep in with me. Of course I'd prefer not to go that route, but I definitely would not carry both a tent and a hammock.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yep, as long as its a "pup" tent.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    What type of dog do you have? A husky would obviously handle cold better than a short haired chihuahua. I have a Golden Doodle whose hair gets about 6 or 7" long in winter and has thick underfur. He loves to play in the show as it never gets to his skin. (Don't forget about wet as well as cold.)

I wonder about my dog's ability to stay warm but it's not been a problem down to freezing. He sometimes nestles down into the leaves a little. On a cool night in damp terrain, I tried to get him to sleep on a plastic trash bag or my raincoat but he insisted on moving around to various other spots. I've thought about a piece of fleece or closed cell foam for him but he doesn't seem to want to use them.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Hey rocker, I'm here in L'ville too. Welcome back to the forums.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH
    Insulation
    ridge rest pad
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    What type of dog do you have? A husky would obviously handle cold better than a short haired chihuahua. I have a Golden Doodle whose hair gets about 6 or 7" long in winter and has thick underfur. He loves to play in the show as it never gets to his skin. (Don't forget about wet as well as cold.)

I wonder about my dog's ability to stay warm but it's not been a problem down to freezing. He sometimes nestles down into the leaves a little. On a cool night in damp terrain, I tried to get him to sleep on a plastic trash bag or my raincoat but he insisted on moving around to various other spots. I've thought about a piece of fleece or closed cell foam for him but he doesn't seem to want to use them.
    Shes a lab/pit mix. Her hair is going to stay short. Here's a pic of her:

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH
    Insulation
    ridge rest pad
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Hey rocker, I'm here in L'ville too. Welcome back to the forums.

Its crazy how I manage to find people who live right near me on forums. I live over near where 20 (buford drive) and 124 (braselton hwy) split apart

Welcome aboard... I live in Kennesaw

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    I am in lawrenceville too. Not too far from I-85.

Welcome to party...
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast