Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

First sewing lesson

My wife just gave me my first sewing lesson!!! Seems to be similar to using a scroll saw. I am going to build an underquilt from the info on the KAQ site but I'm not sure how many stitches per inch to set the machine to. Any ideas?
    Last edited by gstepclassical; 02-24-2007 at 18:14.

I just got and learned how to use a sewing machine too. For my hems, I was just using about the densest (tiniest) stitch setting I could (mine is 5 to 0, 0 being the smallest, 5 being the largest stitch). I set mine around 1 - 2. This is for straight stitch however. My theory is, denser stitches are less likely to unravel significantly, and probably provides more strength. If you're using zigzag stitches I'm not sure, might not want very dense stitches if it's supposed to stretch a little.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    My machine is calibrated the same way - 0 to 5 with 5 being the longest. I use a 2 - 2 1/2 setting for most straight stitches. You can always email Patrick from KAQ and ask him, too.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Careful where this leads. Actually go for it. Making your own gear is fun. I think I have either made or moded more gear than is stock in my setup. I did a lot of wood working with my dad growing up, this is pretty close.

Mine goes 0-5 on the stitch length. I go with 3. No real reason, just looks good. I would probibly go with a 2 if I was working with down. I put 2 rows of stitches on all of my seams. I haven't had a problem yet when I did this. On projects where it looks like the ends could pull apart, I add some reinforcings stitchs only on the ends. Usually perpendicular to the force.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Mine machine is set at about 3-3.5 for heavier materials, and 2.5-3 for materials like nylon.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I had the same question and had a hard time googling up an answer. My dial actually has the "stitches per inch" numbers on it vs. arbitrary numbers.

On a kite making site I found "the industry standard is 8..." so I used that for my hammock seams. For backpacks I double stitch.

On a backpack site I found "most manufacturers sew backpacks at 6 to 10 stitches per inch. If we increase the stitching much beyond 10 stitches per inch, the strength of the fabric begins to degrade. Anything below six stitches per inch begins to become suspect in terms of strength, and when the fabric is under pressure, gapping between the stitches becomes more evident."

Since your making an underquilt you might want to sew a swatch of fabric with different lengths and compare the stitch length to a sleeping bag or quilt seam for an example to see which looks similar and use that.

Another major factor in seam strength is the thread you use, the consensus seems to be to use a good polyester thread such a Guttermans.

Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures when you are done!

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the help. Our machine is graduated in stitches/in. Been looking over the web about thread and there are some complaints about Gutterman's linting up the machine. The supplier I plan to use for the material has 100% polyester thead other than Gutterman's. Not certain as to what I will use yet. I will post pics of the project when completed. Too many hobbies and not enough time!!!
    Last edited by gstepclassical; 02-26-2007 at 16:19.

Images
    Any thread will eventually 'lint up the machine' - I know this goes against your nature being guys and all, but you do need to clean and oil the sewing machines regularly - while they do resemble your scroll saw in some ways, maintenance isn't one of them.....

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gstepclassical View Post
    My wife just gave me my first sewing lesson!!! Seems to be similar to using a scroll saw. I am going to build an underquilt from the info on the KAQ site but I'm not sure how many stitches per inch to set the machine to. Any ideas?
    thats cool,tonite my wife is going to set up my sewing machine that has set in my closet for 5 years,she is helping my son do a school project,then i will get my try at sewing neo

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    thats cool,tonite my wife is going to set up my sewing machine that has set in my closet for 5 years,she is helping my son do a school project,then i will get my try at sewing neo
    Uh oh....I see the Claytor and SG getting replaced in your future...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast