Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

How to identify a Hennessy Safari?

After reading the glowing reviews about the Hennessy Safari, I got weak when I found one on eBay and bought it (not that I really need another hammock). It arrived today and I set it up in the nearby woods. And have to admit that I was rather disappointed. From what I read here in the forums, I expected a ginormous hammock - but it actually didn't look or feel bigger than my WL Owls. Maybe I didn't take enough time, but I didn't bring an underquilt and it was freezing.

Nevertheless: is it possible to identify Hennessy hammock models? I only found the Hennessy logo, but no model printed anywhere. It's a single layer hammock. The zipper is pretty big (maybe double the size of the ones Warbonnet uses). I'd call the color fir green. The fabric is "rough" (in contrast to e.g. a WBBB 1.7).

I'm also curious if the hammock suspension is DIY or stock: it consists of a kind of stiff climbing rope (it has a core and is not easy to handle) and the tree huggers are made from seat belt type of strap.

Any information is appreciated.

Images
    Why not compare it to the manufacture's specs: http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/s...ri_deluxe_zip/

I don't believe the models are marked on the hammocks.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It does sound like a stock suspension. Compared to the rest of the regular line the Safari is quite large. But mostly in belly girth. The length would not be that noticeable without a measuring tape. I have no clue how it would compare to other manufacturers products.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Well, you have a Hennessy, the suspension sounds about right as does the color.

A photo of what you have would help as would the measurements of the hammock.

I purchased one from HH, it was not as large as I had anticipated. I am going to find a new home for it, since I am finding it not to be what I wanted.

I do not think any of my HH have a name of them other than their logo. My Ultra Light, has a different fabric that is easy to identify.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't think to check the dimensions on the Hennessy website. Tried to measure the hammock, which is not easy: it seems that length and width roughly correspond to the Safari specs. Interesting. From the descriptions in the forum I got the impression that the hammock would be huge. But not even the belly girth compares to the WL Owls. Maybe it used to be one of the biggest hammocks on the market, and the recent trend for 11 foot hammocks changed it. Should have checked the specs before buying... I guess I'll have to go for a Dream Hammock to get the size I expected. Anyway, I got to check out another hammock

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't think to check the dimensions on the Hennessy website. Tried to measure the hammock, which is not easy: it seems that length and width roughly correspond to the Safari specs. Interesting. From the descriptions in the forum I got the impression that the hammock would be huge. But not even the belly girth compares to the WL Owls. Maybe it used to be one of the biggest hammocks on the market, and the recent trend for 11 foot hammocks changed it. Should have checked the specs before buying... I guess I'll have to go for a Dream Hammock to get the size I expected. Anyway, I got to check out another hammock
    Mine feels noticeably bigger than my HH Explorer, Claytor No Net, WBBB etc.

1st, you should have a ~112" RL, which is not that much longer than the Explorers 108" ( 100" for Expedition/Backpacker?). But here is where the difference gets obviously different: There will be a much larger distance between the hammock body and the ridge line. I am over 6 feet, but if I sit in the Safari, the RL is well above my head, and if laying down I can barely reach it with my long arms. If I am sitting in my Explorer ( which is not a small hammock ) the RL hits the back of my neck. That is a big difference.

Wait: a pic is worth a thousand words right?
    HH UL Explorer

Safari No Net:

What this means is that there is huge sag in this hammock, more than about any other. Even though the RL is only 4" longer than the Explorer- the hammock fabric/body is MUCH longer than the Explorer. If you measure the length of the hammock along the curve, rather than along the RL, you will see it is maybe 10 or 20" longer than an Explorer and even more so than an Expedition. Huge sag.

A few pics of yours would help settle the question.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I am not happy with my Safari BE. I thought something was wrong with the ridge line, because I could not reach it. Now I know that it is normal. I think the ridge line in my safari is too short, but I am not going to lengthen it as much as I had planned. I will just fix it to a stock length. My Explorer seems to fit fairly well. I feel like the Safari is about the same size. I seem to do the best with my ultralight.

I like the idea of the BE, however, I am finding it uncomfortable. I am still working on it, but I am close to pitching the hammock. Out next trip I am taking two hammocks, so I can switch if I am uncomfortable.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Mine feels noticeably bigger than my HH Explorer, Claytor No Net, WBBB etc.

1st, you should have a ~112" RL, which is not that much longer than the Explorers 108" ( 100" for Expedition/Backpacker?). But here is where the difference gets obviously different: There will be a much larger distance between the hammock body and the ridge line. I am over 6 feet, but if I sit in the Safari, the RL is well above my head, and if laying down I can barely reach it with my long arms. If I am sitting in my Explorer ( which is not a small hammock ) the RL hits the back of my neck. That is a big difference.

What this means is that there is huge sag in this hammock, more than about any other. Even though the RL is only 4" longer than the Explorer- the hammock fabric/body is MUCH longer than the Explorer. If you measure the length of the hammock along the curve, rather than along the RL, you will see it is maybe 10 or 20" longer than an Explorer and even more so than an Expedition. Huge sag.

A few pics of yours would help settle the question.
    After having measured the hammock, I'm pretty sure that it is indeed the Safari model. Had I checked the Hennessy specs, I probably wouldn't have bought it. As I said, I already own a couple of Warbonnet and Wilderness Logic hammocks, and somehow I expected the Safari to be larger than the WL hammocks. The specs clearly confirm my impression that the Safari is a comparatively small hammock. The specs (hammock body) say:

HH Safari: 112" x 52"
    WL Owls: 132" x 58"
    WB BB/T: 120" x 65"

When lying in the Safari, I had no problem reaching the ridgeline. I never tried any other Hennessy hammock, so it might be that the Safari is huge compared to other Hennessys. But compared to the Warbonnets and Wilderness Logics it feels quite small.

I'm not saying it's not a good hammock. I didn't test it for more than a couple of minutes, so I don't know how well I would sleep in it. It simply wasn't what I expected - but as I said, this was my error. I should have checked the specs first. For what I'm looking for, I'll probably have to order a Roaming Gnome.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    After having measured the hammock, I'm pretty sure that it is indeed the Safari model. Had I checked the Hennessy specs, I probably wouldn't have bought it. As I said, I already own a couple of Warbonnet and Wilderness Logic hammocks, and somehow I expected the Safari to be larger than the WL hammocks. The specs clearly confirm my impression that the Safari is a comparatively small hammock. The specs (hammock body) say:

HH Safari: 112" x 52"
    WL Owls: 132" x 58"
    WB BB/T: 120" x 65"

When lying in the Safari, I had no problem reaching the ridgeline. I never tried any other Hennessy hammock, so it might be that the Safari is huge compared to other Hennessys. But compared to the Warbonnets and Wilderness Logics it feels quite small.

I'm not saying it's not a good hammock. I didn't test it for more than a couple of minutes, so I don't know how well I would sleep in it. It simply wasn't what I expected - but as I said, this was my error. I should have checked the specs first. For what I'm looking for, I'll probably have to order a Roaming Gnome.
    Hutz, I'm still confused as to what hammock you might have if it is not at least as large or larger than the WL and definitely the WB hammocks. The safari that I have is in no way a comparatively small hammock compared to any other hammock discussed here at HF.

I have a WL Lite Owl 11 foot hammock, and I don't think it is at all bigger than my Safari, and probably not as large. I have a WBBB, and NO DOUBT the Safari is bigger than the WB in all dimensions. And I have a 35" sleeve length, and as you see in the picture, it is a pretty good reach to the Safari RL when I am on my back in the hammock. If you sit in your HH, is the RL way above your head? Like a good 6" or more, above your head? Unlike, say, a WBBB which is I'm thinking hits somewhere about my neck or top of my head, and probably about the same for you?

You are comparing the HH ( Safari? ) ridge line length to the other hammock lengths. The Safari hammock body is way longer than it's RL, which is why it hangs with so much sag below the RL. The RL on the WBBB is probably about 100" ( just guessing ) which is already a full foot shorter than the Safari RL. But the Safarit RL length is is a much smaller % of the hammock length than most hammocks, which is what gives it so much sag and what places it's RL so high above you compared to a WBBB or almost all other hammocks.

If this hammock does not seem obviously bigger than the WBBB - and probably also the WL Owl, I'm thinking it is not a Safari.

Oh heck, I finally did what I should have done in response to your question in the 1st place instead of talking theory: I dug mine out of storage and measured it. Here you go:
    From end knot cover to cover: ~ 145"
    From the point where the RL disappears into the end knot covers to the other: 137-138"
    Width straight across: about 63-64"
    width from left shoulder pull out to right knee pull out: a good bit wider than 63", didn't bother to measure, but noticeably wider than any of my other hammocks.

Here is another way to tell the safari from my other hammocks: when on the diagonal, I can easily find a position where the center ridge which causes many people calf pressure hits me about mid thigh. I can't do this on any other hammock, not enough room.

Do the WL and WB length specs include the end knots, or do they measure from inside the gathered end knots? I don't know. But depending on how they measure/spec this, my Safari is either 17" or 25" longer than the WBBB. And either 5" or 13" longer than than the long WL Owl. And wider than either also. IOW, it is one big hammock, just like every one here who has used one has always said.

Unfortunately, you get no real idea of the Safari's size from the HH specs, as they only give the RL length, not the length of the hammock bed/fabric. They list a width of 52". which is crazy as that is 4" more narrow than the Explorer, even though they say: "The Safari Deluxe was developed for people who like really big hammocks. This is our deepest, widest and most comfortable hammock for larger people or even for cozy couples whose combined weight does not exceed 350 lbs "

It is indeed "deepest, widest", compared to the other HHs and actually to almost all other commercial hammocks normally used by folks at HF. I suggest you measure your hammock to know for sure if you have a safari. If it is 112" long and/or 52" wide, you don't have one. Or, quickest way: just sit in the hammock as well as a WBBB: on the BB, the RL should hit your neck or maybe the top of your head, depending on how tall you are. On the Safari, it should be quite a few inches higher than the top of your head. If not, it is probably not a safari.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-16-2013 at 22:38.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    OK, I'll have to get back to you, once I get the chance to hang the hammock again. Unfortunately I have no place to hang it nearby.

I didn't know that Hennessy quotes the ridgeline. It would help if they would mention that... I measured my ridgeline; it's 104" inside - if you measure from one end of the hammock to the other, it's 112". It's definitely the Safari model, I'd say. Maybe I found it small because I expected something a lot larger. The space in my Owls feels huge, but it might be, that this is deceptive because there is a lot more hammock body material.

When I get the chance to set it up again, I'll take photos and post. If possible, in comparison with the other hammocks I own.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast