Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Question Lengths

Peter-Pan - looked at the pictures on your web site - looks like a really nice hammock.

4 questions:
    1. you have webbing coming from the corners on each end of the hammock forming a triangle. How long is it from the point of one triangle to the point of the other triangle??
    2. How long is it from one spreader bar to the other spreader bar.
    3. how long is the webbing from one corner to where it meets the webbing from the other corner, i.e., the length of the triangle side, and
    4. the length of the spreader bars. The web site says the bars are 2 16" pieces. How much do they spread the hammock when fitted in place?
    Now I know that the above lengths will probably varying with how you hang, but what would be the lengths as shown on your web site??

From what Grizz is doing on his Bridge Hammock, it seems the spreader bar lengths are important in determing comfort level.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    FF- That's some great pricing...

Grizz- I spoke with Jack one the phone. He was a bit reserved on adding the height of a pad to the inside of his hammock as it would decrease stability with the taller C of G. I'd be interested to hear how you fare by adding one to your version though...and pictures are always good!

The BMBH sounds like a winner in terms of comfort for me. In the few times I've been in a hammock, I've noticed some of the quirks w/ asym that the BMBH will be adressing. I'm certainly interested.
    Cant wait to try out that new floating cot.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Peter-Pan - looked at the pictures on your web site - looks like a really nice hammock.

4 questions:
    1. you have webbing coming from the corners on each end of the hammock forming a triangle. How long is it from the point of one triangle to the point of the other triangle??
    3. how long is the webbing from one corner to where it meets the webbing from the other corner, i.e., the length of the triangle side, and
    4. the length of the spreader bars. The web site says the bars are 2 16" pieces. How much do they spread the hammock when fitted in place?
    Now I know that the above lengths will probably varying with how you hang, but what would be the lengths as shown on your web site??

From what Grizz is doing on his Bridge Hammock, it seems the spreader bar lengths are important in determing comfort level.
    good questions. Maybe someone going to the Mid-Atlantic hang next weekend will bring a camera and a tape measure???

Let me hasten to remind everyone that comfort is subjective, and I'm on the taller and wider side of the bell curve. The feeling of "squeeze" is likewise a personal call. I was quite comfortable in a 36" spread but then I found more joy in 40+", largely because at that width I could (finally) use my arms folded above me as cushions for my head, while sleeping on my stomach. That's been my Holy Grail here for hammock snoozing. On the stomach with arms at the sides...or on my side with one arm resting on the side of the hammock...don't need anywhere near that kind of spread.

always remember, YMMV

Grizz

Images
    Reserved one! I guess if I don't like it someone will buy it from me. I like the totally flat aspect, but will it have the same hammock feel, or contouring? has anybody tried one out? Also, I'm 6'1", 203 lbs. I wonder if it will be plenty roomy? Has anyone used one as a chair/lounger? Right now, I'm just going on JRB's rep and trusting their design.
    Bill

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images

JRB BMBH Pad Pocket & Rain Fly

Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    Smee...doesn't look like the Exped will fit in the pad pocket...can you confirm this? If not can the Exped be tossed into the hammock itself?

That's a nice looking hammock. What is the recommended rain fly/tarp?
    Ken999,

Pad pocket is designed 26 inches wide and about 1 inch deep. Exped will probably be tight. Our whole business is based on getting away from pads and things in the hammock with you but I guess it could.

Recommended fly is our new 11'x 10' Cat Tarp coming to the web site soon. distance between the two outer rings on the suspension system is about 9.5 feet. Ideally you need a tarp that covers those rings.

Regards,

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Glad to see that the BMB hammock is it's final stages. I can't wait to test one out.

Any word on the 8x8 tarp tent?
    HC4U, et al,

8x8 tent final factory prototype will be at the MAHHA this coming weekend.....pre production run will probably be about a month behind the Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock or about 30 Nov.....We will build a page and have a reservation capability in the next few weeks.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post

4 questions:

The side of the triangle works out to be 2 feet..... the base of the triangle is 29 inches across the top of the end piece and the spreader bar is 31 inches when assembled....effective base is 30 inches when installed into the corner rings.... Distance between spreader bars varies depending on your hang....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks - don't really know what I'm going to do with most of that, but it gives me a better feel for the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The side of the triangle works out to be 2 feet..... the base of the triangle is 29 inches across the top of the end piece and the spreader bar is 31 inches when assembled....effective base is 30 inches when installed into the corner rings.... Distance between spreader bars varies depending on your hang....

Pan

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    good questions. Maybe someone going to the Mid-Atlantic hang next weekend will bring a camera and a tape measure???

Let me hasten to remind everyone that comfort is subjective, and I'm on the taller and wider side of the bell curve. The feeling of "squeeze" is likewise a personal call. I was quite comfortable in a 36" spread but then I found more joy in 40+", largely because at that width I could (finally) use my arms folded above me as cushions for my head, while sleeping on my stomach. That's been my Holy Grail here for hammock snoozing. On the stomach with arms at the sides...or on my side with one arm resting on the side of the hammock...don't need anywhere near that kind of spread.

always remember, YMMV

Grizz
    Grizz,

Have followed the old JRB Bridge Hammock thread with interest.... your work and others has been interesting.

When one gets to putting the pieces of the hammock together; hammock itself, a generous pad pocket, effective bug netting , spreader bar widths, under quily attachment points, and the bar impact on the sides of "A" shaped tarp one recognizes the complexity of the issues beyound simply the optimum width for each individual.... Also important considerations are its stability and a comfortable hang height that also works readily as a chair and or a lounger, oh and the package must consider that not everone uses hiking poles..... We feel the BMBH is a good optimization of all these points.

And as you note, we are all ultimately individuals and YMMV.... Hope you can get to the MAHHA this weekend.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Grizz,

Have followed the old JRB Bridge Hammock thread with interest.... your work and others has been interesting.

When one gets to putting the pieces of the hammock together; hammock itself, a generous pad pocket, effective bug netting , spreader bar widths, under quily attachment points, and the bar impact on the sides of "A" shaped tarp one recognizes the complexity of the issues beyound simply the optimum width for each individual.... Also important considerations are its stability and a comfortable hang height that also works readily as a chair and or a lounger, oh and the package must consider that not everone uses hiking poles..... We feel the BMBH is a good optimization of all these points.

And as you note, we are all ultimately individuals and YMMV.... Hope you can get to the MAHHA this weekend.

Pan
    Hi Pan--you know I think I once said as much about the design choices you have to deal with (one product for lots of points in the design and customer base). I've been considering the inter-relationships between many of these things, and some others, but for a customer base of one. I have bumped into corresponding "one system for everyone" issues in designing software systems, so I appreciate the challenge and the trade-offs. I'm just delighted to see this hit the market and hope it takes off for you. And I'm sure this crazy crowd will do things with and for your hammock that neither of can imagine right now.

Sorry I can't make the MAHHA. But, my wife grew up in Williamsburg, we lived there 1985-1996, her mother still lives there and we get out there almost every spring. Time comes I'll look you guys up.

From something you once had on your web-site but I can't find anymore, I'd be surprised if you and/or Smee didn't know a friend of mine from those days, Billy Ray Johnson. Retired Army, helicoptor pilot in Vietnam. Used to play volleyball with him, and I was involved in the Boy Scout troop he was running at Kingsmill. if I've got that right, and you see him, give him my regards.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast