View Poll Results: Would you ever buy an underquilt that is not a differentially cut UQ.

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 25.93%
  • No

30 55.56%
  • Maybe - explained in post

10 18.52%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    how would a sewn thru uq with a differential of say an inch or two between the top and the bottom? (bottom would be wider to give the baffles room to expand, and cozy up to each other? would be quite easy to sew, Ideas? gnome

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Like many others have said, I prefer a differential cut UQ. I've made two that were, a summer & winter. The summer one only because I made it, but last summer I got by with a 45* down sleeping bag. I simply put two loops on each end and put it up under the hammock and it worked great.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    A differential cut UQ is fine, but it only works well as an UQ.
    I'm sorry but this is simply not true. My differential cut UQs are fantastic as top quilts, and many people use the mount washington as a TQ too. It would be quite possible to make a differential UQ with a head hole for poncho mode too. I don't get where you get this idea that a differential cut UQ only works as a UQ and nothing else.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Maybe?

I voted maybe. For down uq based on my experience with both the JRB flat (Nest) and diff.cut (MW) the differential cut makes life significantly easier to rig the uq for max warmth. But not sure about a summer synthetic uq.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I'm sorry but this is simply not true. My differential cut UQs are fantastic as top quilts, and many people use the mount washington as a TQ too. It would be quite possible to make a differential UQ with a head hole for poncho mode too. I don't get where you get this idea that a differential cut UQ only works as a UQ and nothing else.
    It is true that you can use a Mt Washington as a top quilt; however, the 42" width of that quilt versus the 48" width of the rectangular quilts makes for some pretty sparse coverage around your arms and shoulders. Technically, I could use a Te-Wa as a TQ as well, but it would make for either a chilly torso or chilly toes.
    If it's a DIY project, you can always make the differential cut as wide as you like. In which case it could work as a TQ or an UQ.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    how would a sewn thru uq with a differential of say an inch or two between the top and the bottom? (bottom would be wider to give the baffles room to expand, and cozy up to each other? would be quite easy to sew, Ideas? gnome
    If it's sewn-thru, it doesn't have baffles (by definition). But you could easily put a differential on a sewn-thru quilt. I've basically done that with my insulated hammocks...a few synthetic versions and two down versions. You just put darts in the outer layer so the inner layer can be stretch tight w/o compressing teh insulation.

FWIW, I've used the Mt Washington on several single-digit trips and a few sub-zero trips. I'm 5'10" and 180 (up to 195 on those trips) and found the coverage adequate. Thinking about getting a wider one anyway but I wasn't uncomfortable on those nights.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I
    FWIW, I've used the Mt Washington on several single-digit trips and a few sub-zero trips. I'm 5'10" and 180 (up to 195 on those trips) and found the coverage adequate. Thinking about getting a wider one anyway but I wasn't uncomfortable on those nights.
    I don't doubt that you can stay warm with one....if you stay still. I have to pull my Te-Wa to the other side of my hammock when I shift. I'll start out just fine, and at some point I'll get cold. That's usually when I discover that I've moved or rolled off of the coverage area. Never had that happen with a PeaPod.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - PeaPods are pretty luxurious that way. That's why I put my kids in one for winter trips...less to worry about.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    For an end gathered hammock, where you are sleeping on a diagonal, how do you "install" the differential under quilt so that it fits you where you are, and then stays there all night?

I can see where the dif quilt could be made perfect for a bridge hammock, but for a gathered end with the "wall" on one side and the "drop off" on the other it seems it could be tricky to make theory match reality.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    For an end gathered hammock, where you are sleeping on a diagonal, how do you "install" the differential under quilt so that it fits you where you are, and then stays there all night?

I can see where the dif quilt could be made perfect for a bridge hammock, but for a gathered end with the "wall" on one side and the "drop off" on the other it seems it could be tricky to make theory match reality.
    Look no further than a Speer Snugfit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast