Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In terms of storage, loosely rolled around a carpet tube would be preferable to being stuff under compression. Or folded loosely so as to avoid creases. They recommend folding it with inner lining of muslim or acid free tissue. The fine the weave and the higher the thread count the more critical the creases would be.

Silk is very strong but can become very brittle.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

New Member calculating infinity's Avatar
    Hammock
    diy speer type
    Tarp
    jrb 8x8
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    does anybody have a guess on the weight limit on the 10mm silk fabric? id be making one for my house and theres going to be up to 275 lbs in it.

Images
    Welcome to the forum!

The guy that used the 10mm fabric is around 180 lbs. The link on the first page goes to his site about silk hammocks. ( http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/ )

I don't know what the weight limit would be for that fabric, but it might not hurt to go with something heavier or use a double layer of the 10mm, especially considering it is for your home, and needs not be ultralightweight like some of us strive for! You could also buy a 108" piece and fold it over, or buy two different peices of different weights to get a custom weight not offered. I would go with the 55" peice if you are going to do that. 45" is quite narrow for a hammock. I will give examples to (hopefully) make this less confusing:

If you go to the Dharma Trading website, Habotai Silk section ( http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/habotai.html ) there are many different weights listed in 55" widths. So, you can get these different custom weights by combining fabrics:

13mm--5mm and 8mm
    15mm--10mm and 5mm
    16mm--8mm and 8mm
    18mm--10mm and 8mm
    20mm--10mm and 10mm

The other thing about making a double layer hammock, is that you can leave room on the sides to fit in a sleeping pad, and then you could take your hammock camping with you if you wanted to. Also, you can dye the layers different colors to make the look of the hammock more interesting. Are you planning on incorperating the colors of your home into the hammock? I just saw this cool idea where the baby's room had a baby hammock, and the wall design was of a tree. Very cool idea! Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpQ_fxoBrM

New Member calculating infinity's Avatar
    Hammock
    diy speer type
    Tarp
    jrb 8x8
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thanks, i think im going to go with the 108" in a single layer, that way two people (were 150lbs and less) can lounge comfortably on occasion. plus when i do take it camping ill be in hammock heaven. id go for two layers but thats way too expensive for me.
    would using another fabric as a second layer work? i dont see why not. i just love the fact that silk is very breathable, florida is way too hot to not have that.
    Last edited by calculating infinity; 06-18-2008 at 04:09.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Boy, you guys are up late at night, aren't you?

I just picked up some silk from the bargain bin at JoAnn's Frenzy sale - everything is 50% off, going on this week only june 16-21. I purchased 14 yds, which was originally $39.99/yd, marked down to $6/yd, for which I paid $3/yd. I'll post pics when I get home from work today.

STEAL!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Boy, you guys are up late at night, aren't you?

I just picked up some silk from the bargain bin at JoAnn's Frenzy sale - everything is 50% off, going on this week only june 16-21. I purchased 14 yds, which was originally $39.99/yd, marked down to $6/yd, for which I paid $3/yd. I'll post pics when I get home from work today.

STEAL!

Looks like I need to stop by Jo Ann's !
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Looks like I need to stop by Jo Ann's !
    That's what I was just thinking.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by calculating infinity View Post
    thanks, i think im going to go with the 108" in a single layer, that way two people (were 150lbs and less) can lounge comfortably on occasion. plus when i do take it camping ill be in hammock heaven. id go for two layers but thats way too expensive for me.
    would using another fabric as a second layer work? i dont see why not. i just love the fact that silk is very breathable, florida is way too hot to not have that.
    Again, I have no idea what the weight rating is, but with 300 lbs. in the hammock, I would go with another layer. Finding another 108" fabric is not going to be easy, though. And, another layer of silk is becoming costly.

Images
    I wouldn't see why the second layer would have to be silk. It is not against the skin and only for weight bearing purposes. If the second layer is stiffer, there might be some issues. Hard to tell until someone tries it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Do you think that he could use 60" fabric in the middle, and sew two strips of fabric to the sides of the 60" peice to make the fabric wide enough to attatch to the 108" peice? It seems like it would be better to put the seams further up the hammock body rather than in the middle...

You would have to use fabric that is less than $8/yd. to justify going away from the 108" silk because to do this, you would have to order twice as much fabric for the bottom layer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast