Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Okay,

I can't believe I am thinking of driving 8+ hours to go hike and camp in the humidity of South Texas, butt count me in I'm starting on my new hammock construction, which I am building with an integrated bug net, so we will see how that goes...

Here are a couple of shots from February:
    Hidden Lake

Concrete slab fire at the Hunter's Camp:

And a picture I was going to show Sarge of the funny bent Indian tree we saw on the long north route back to camp:

Maybe we need a wheelbarrow to haul in the water; or Sarge, do you think someone could drive in on that logger's road we hiked out on after lunch? I am thinking a vehicle, large ice chest, several gallons of water, maybe Gatorade, an Earl or steak or two...butt hey, I am willing to tote what we need cross country

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I carried the ice chest last time (it's someone elses turn) Earl got beat out by whatever those were that you had at the last one. Bring those. They were awesome. I've been looking for that yellow package, but I can't remember what they were.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

We Need A Volunteer

Maybe we need a wheelbarrow to haul in the water; or Sarge, do you think someone could drive in on that logger's road we hiked out on after lunch? I am thinking a vehicle, large ice chest, several gallons of water, maybe Gatorade, an Earl or steak or two...butt hey, I am willing to tote what we need cross country
    http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/...tch_shaded.pdf

(You need to scroll in close to see the Road numbers on that map. The little red boxes with numbers in them are the FS Road numbers)

IIRC, FS213 is closed just past where we left it to go onto the logging road, but I wouldn't swear to it.

The wrong turn I took coming back along the short route led me to FS213A, and there's a fairly decent track that leads to the washed out bridge. If its possible to get to FS213A, we might be able to stage stuff at the end of that track and carry in from there.

The other alternative might be FS2061---which is the caliche road. That's an extension of FS206A.

If someone can go up there armed with a map to see what is accessible and what is not, we'd have better intel.

I do doubt that those roads are open, and that the FS would open them for us. I was hoping a couple of folks would volunteer to come with me carrying extra water and a lunch, while those taking the longer routes would bring components of the communal supper.

The other altrernative would be to take a pre-hike out there to scout a campsite and bringing extra water along the short route and stashing it nearby the campsite or along the route.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Second Annual Texas Butt Bake>July 19-21>New Waverly, TX

I can carry extra water...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Friday night we will be car camping so we can have a freaking buffet..
    Since we are hiking in on Sat it just does not make sense to me to pack the extra weight in the July heat but if that is what you all want, then that's cool too...

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'm with the Weaseal. Lets eat like kings Friday and just do camp food for Saturday. Most of my weight is going to be in water.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I'm with the Weaseal. Lets eat like kings Friday and just do camp food for Saturday. Most of my weight is going to be in water.
    Sounds like the most sensible thing to do, but I'll still take the short route, carry extra water (so will Scout), and invite anyone who wants to go along with me to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Sounds like the most sensible thing to do, but I'll still take the short route, carry extra water (so will Scout), and invite anyone who wants to go along with me to do the same.
    Man if my knee is still jacked up I will be taking the short route with you. If it feels better by then I will have to see how bad my hangover is on sat to determine my route.

So either way the odds are good for the short route.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    Man if my knee is still jacked up I will be taking the short route with you. If it feels better by then I will have to see how bad my hangover is on sat to determine my route.

So either way the odds are good for the short route.
    I'm with yah on the knee thing, I'm trying out glucosamine to see what happens.

Just re-measured the short route using FS213 from the parking lot instead of the short jog using the trail. Without wrong turns and bushwhacking, it comes in at just under two miles.

The Four Notch Loop route shows the caliche road at the 4 mile marker and the LSHT Group info I got says the lake is .8 miles south of that.

The LSHT route shows the turn to go North on the Four Notch Loop is at the 5 mile marker, with 1.25 miles to the caliche road, which makes that route 7.05 miles.

Hammock
    Looking
    Tarp
    Insulation
    recommendations,
    Suspension
    Please.
    I'm a West Texas boy, so going east of I45 between the months of April and October is insane in my book. Although, I'd like to try that trail out. Never heard of it before. Y'all have a great weekend!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast