Type of seam on DIY hammock footbox, shelf, zipper, etc

Planning to make a DIY hammock. Was wondering what type of seam would you use to join the body to the footbox, shelf, zipper, etc. I did a search and didn't come up with any thread that directly addresses this. A lot on seam sealing and flat felled seams, but I want to put grosgrain on the seam for a finished look and I am not sure how that would work on a flat felled seam. I picture the grosgrain on my seams enclosing the seam.

I drew a picture...yes it is bad, and yes my seams look even worse! They've held up so far! (have made 2 tarps and 3 hammocks- without an integrated bug net, foot box and shelf)

In the attached picture, 1. what seam would you use and where? 2. In picture "B" would you sew seam "c" or just skip it and use sew on the two larger lines?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, I thought of a third option. I imagine this would require pins. Dont think I can hold the rolled hem on two pieces of fabric at the same time. Perhaps there is another stitch that needs done to join the two fabrics fist?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
    but I want to put grosgrain on the seam for a finished look and I am not sure how that would work on a flat felled seam. I picture the grosgrain on my seams enclosing the seam.
    A flat felled seem is used only to join two pieces of fabric to make one flat panel. Usually you would not use a flat felled seam any where but the ridgeline of the tarp. If the fabric is going to turn a corner at the seam then you don't want a flat felled seam. Similarly if you are on the edge of thde fabric you do not make a seam. You make a hem. A seam joins two edges. A hem finishes off one edge.

Most seams in a hammock construction would a simple sewn seam or a french seam if a completely finished seam is desired.

At least that would be my take on it.

The edges of the hammock and tarp would be finished with a simple double rolled hem. Or if you finish the hem with grosgrain you can get away with a single folded hem.

You might find my "We Don't Sew" vids helpful. The link is in my sig.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

thanks for your reply. I agree that the flat felled seam wont work. I am "turning the corner", so it is not a hem.

I viewed some of your videos in the past, will try to find the one on a simple seam vs a french seam.

• + New Posts