Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buying my boyfriend his first hammock!

I've been looking at some Clark models, but they're a little pricier than I would like. Some of the Hennesey models fall within my price range, but I'm not sure how I feel about the bottom entry. In terms of specifics, the most important factors to him would be: protection from the rain, protection from bugs, pockets to keep essentials within your reach while you sleep, stability (won't tip over in his sleep, but I think that's a given), and probably some aspect of comfort. He's about 5'9" and 175 lbs, so also something that works with his height and weight. I know these are really general specifications, but I'm totally new to this! I was hoping to spend around $150, but I would go a little higher, and cheaper is great too!

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    You could get him the HH Expedition for around that, but personally I'd recommend that you spend $50 more and get the Explorer Deluxe...much roomier and more comfortable for most folks (including myself). You might also contact Hennessy and ask if they're still doing the "free upgrade" on the HHED that lets you get the Hex 70D tarp replacement for the same price of $199.00.

Built in bug-netting, comes with tree straps, and it's the same price for the zipper model as it is for the bottom entry.

And...right now, they have the holiday sale going and will send a Cub hammock for a child too. Would be a complete setup that you could give as a gift to a relative who might use it.

Just my thoughts.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Not sure if you are asking for opinions or not...

However, two cents is two cents so ... if you were to purchase a Hennessy, my suggestions would be the explorer since it is slightly larger than the expedition and is available in the zip model. I believe it can also be purchased without its tarp and for me, is a plus because many times another larger tarp is appreciated.

Warbonnet Blackbird is also a very popular model but is without a tarp and slightly more expensive.

hope this helps some.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hennessy hammocks are very nice hammocks and you can get the side zip model instead of the bottom entrance. If you can swing about $50 more the hh explorer deluxe is the way to go and with that model you can switch out the stock fly for the hex fly, ( very nice coverage) for free. Plus right now they are giving free cub hammocks for every hammock purchase over $149 .

Images
    very nice. that's how i got my first one. still got the hammock
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

This has all been very helpful, thanks so much! So I'm looking at the Expedition vs the Explorer, and while it doesn't seem like that much to shell out an extra $50, I'm buying so many other gifts that I'd really like to save that if I can. Are there any really bad drawbacks to getting the Expedition over the Explorer? He doesn't camp that often, but he's been eyeing a hammock tent for a while, so I don't think that he really cares about some of the more plush features.

It's just bigger but the expedition would be just as good plus you still can get side zip entrance and the free hammock..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lkelly0516 View Post
    This has all been very helpful, thanks so much! So I'm looking at the Expedition vs the Explorer, and while it doesn't seem like that much to shell out an extra $50, I'm buying so many other gifts that I'd really like to save that if I can. Are there any really bad drawbacks to getting the Expedition over the Explorer? He doesn't camp that often, but he's been eyeing a hammock tent for a while, so I don't think that he really cares about some of the more plush features.
    how tall is he?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double , Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WB/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY IX Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Images
    If your Interested I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe For sale Like new Would make you a deal for $155 shipping included as you can see in things for sale I was asking $165.00 but willing to lower price Classic bottom entry with Velcro closure.
    Comes with Snake Skins and Whoopie Slings, Excellent Condition, Like New
    Pay pal Preferred.Thanks
    Jack

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I really enjoy my Hennessy. I do plan on modifying with zippers to give the top entry as well as the option of no bugnet. It's a great hammock! Someone already beat me to it but I agree. Get the zipper as well as the upgrade to the larger tarp. You won't regret it! Good luck!

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast