Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Smile Old Loggers Path

My youngest daughter and I took advantage of a weather window to hike the Old Loggers Path in north central PA over the course of four days and three nights, starting Friday 5/20 and ending Monday 5/23. This was longer than needed but we were looking for an excuse to spend more time in the woods and this trip was a test of my knees and hips (which did just fine) so I didn't want to push my luck.

The trip was awesome and we managed to avoid any serious rain. The only continuous rain we encountered was while we slept Sunday night. All the streams and rivers were flowing full, due to all the previous days of rain, and were beautiful. The hike was a wet one with seeps all over the place but the trails were much less rocky than what I've come to expect in PA.

The first night we got to camp alongside what many consider to be the most beautiful river in PA, Rock Run. I have to agree that it is.

On day two we encountered a rattle snake. One of the highlights of the trip for me. A troop of Boy Scouts hiking the opposite direction saw two others. The ranger told us to be on the look out for them. That night we camped on a small island in a ravine.

For the last night we decided to try camping at elevation on Sprout Point Vista but heavy fog rolled in obscuring any views and any hope of drying out our socks and boots.

This was Breezy's first backpacking trip and she proved to be an excellent hiker and camper. Due to her constant worry about running into bears, she earned the trail name of Breezy Bear.

Enough talk. Here are the pictures. (fixed the link)

Of course we have to talk gear, so...
    -My rig was one of my DIY Gathered End hammocks with the stretch-side mod, a DIY detached bugnet, a Phoenix under quilt and a DIY make your own sil camo tarp.
    -I swapped out my usual whoopie slings and tree huggers for OnRope1 Cinch Buckles and 1" webbing from Speer with a Dutch Clip sewn onto the end. This proved to be the ultimate in convenience. Probably worth the extra weight.
    -My daughter chose to take the Speer hammock with velcro on bugnet (due to its low weight) and JRB Nest UQ. This trip confirmed that I absolutely HATE the webbing with tri-glide suspension system.
    -Put Dutch Tarp Flyz on my daughter's MacCat Deluxe. The holes are small so threading on the 2.2mm line was tough but I really liked these doodads. So small they almost don't exist yet they work so well.
    -Originally planned to use a Backcountry Boiler but it had been raining for a week and finding the right wood just seemed too challenging, so we brought an MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove and a GSI Dualist cook kit.
    -Water was purified using a Platypus GravityWorks gravity filter, which worked great. This location provided the best tasting water I've ever had on the trail.
    -Food on two nights were meals we dehydrated ourselves following Babelfish5's YouTube instructions. Yummy! Thanks Babelfish5.
    -My pack came in at about 24# and Breezy Bear's was 18#, with everything but water.
    Last edited by Knotty; 05-25-2011 at 11:31.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Great report Knotty. I'm glad Breezy Bear enjoyed her first trip. Yes, we always need to know what gear you used and I agree with your tri-glide and Tarp Flyz comments. Good to hear that your knees and hips are doing well, keep at those trails!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I love the OLP!!!
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    What's up with your knees and hips, Knotty? Glad they worked well for you!

I fear trouble with major joints, especially since I weigh too much. However, knock on wood, I have had no problems.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Sounds like a few fun days out! Thx for sharing

and you ate good

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been meaning to hit this trail. There are a bunch of PA hikes that I want to get in. Thanks for the trip report. I can't wait till my daughter gets old enough to go on a 4 day hike but is young enough to want to go with Dad.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    That's a very narrow group of folks that can use that path. First of all you have to choose the logging industry and then wait for a long time.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    That's a very narrow group of folks that can use that path. First of all you have to choose the logging industry and then wait for a long time.
    Can you explain further, Mike?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Trying out a GT Nano-7
    Tarp
    LE HexaLite 11x9
    Insulation
    TeWa Summer Breeze
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Old Loggers Path

The Old Loggers Path is one of my favorites in PA - I've done it three times so far and always in the Spring when water is everywhere. A friend of mine did it last August and the only water on the southern side of Pleasant Stream Road was Pleasant Stream - It caught him a little off guard because I assured him water would be available at least at Wallis Run.

One other thing about this loop - the trail guide has you hiking it in a counter-clockwise direction from Masten. You stopped at around mile #7 to set up camp at Rock Run, but if you're planning to do the trip in just two nights I've found it much nicer to hike in a clockwise direction:

- Day #1: 11 miles and camp at one of the sites along Pleasant Stream
    - Day #2: 11 miles and camp at the most beautiful campsites in PA where Yellow Dog Run flows into Rock Run
    - Day #3: 6 miles back to your car

Speaking of wildlife - we too saw a rattler last June when we hiked it and then, a couple of hours later on one of the long straightways we saw a mother bear and three cubs (one of which was a rare cinnamon cub). Truly a highlight!

Another really nice PA loop (27 miles) is the Eastern Loop of the Allegheny Front Trail. It runs right through Black Moshannon State Park and, by adjusting where you leave your car, you can stay in the state park with hot showers and flush toilets your first night.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    The "Old Logger's" Path.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast