ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    5x8 siltarp
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

tarp overload - eno dimensions, etc.

My budget vs. my desire is getting the better of me. I have been flopping on this for a couple weeks now, im gonna go this way, or that way. The only thing i definitely have come to the conclusion on is that im a better cheapskate than a gram weenie. would like max coverage because multiple tarps is not fea$ible. would also like to be able to close ends if needed (some of these wont do that at all).

option 1 - eno profly

i dont care for the funky 6 stake design and the coverage looks limited. eno's site describes 9.5x12 but it looks like 4 of the 9 feet is that big ol cat guy in the middle with more like 10x5 realistic coverage from wind and rain. anyboody have a real measurement on this? only plus is that my small local (read - only) outfitter in town has it in stock and id like to help them out if i could. 79$

option 1.5 - kelty noah 12 - uber big, relatively cheap (1.5 because i forgot to add it)70$

option 2 - rectangle silnylon, either in 12x10 100$ or 10x8 71$ flavor. equinox or etowah outfitters (higher quality and 71$ on sale, this is the 8x10) - i really would rather have a 12x10 because of the coverage but the etowah seems like a great deal and alot better tarp.

option 3 - the chinook via ebay 9.5x12 - somewhere around 40-50$ shipped.

option 4 - live with my teeny 8x5 siltarp till i can afford a maccat or warbonnet.

thoughts??

-decaff

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    I'm going cheap and buying a blue tarp from Lowe's. 12x16 for $19.82. I'm beyond my budget with my new hammock, etc. and will use the Lowe's version until "later" when I get a nicer one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_186791-89425-M10101216_0_?productId=3115369&Ntt=tarp&Ntk=i_prod ucts&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=tarp$y=0$x=0

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by decaff View Post
    ...multiple tarps is not fea$ible
    I think that says it all. You will do best to use what you have, and save up for exactly the tarp you want. Buying quality gear first is cheaper in the long run.

It's also worth remembering that the tarp is the most important component of hammocking in the backcountry...even more so than the hammock itself. It's what actually protects you from the elements..

My .02
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    5x8 siltarp
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    angrysparrow...not feasible right now anyway. im looking for something to get me into winter (better coverage than my lil siltarp) and eventually use as a backup or for buddys or my kid etc. money will become less of an issue in a few months. i love gear. but i hate gear. its a love hate relationship really the lowes tarp i wouldnt mind, but im trying to stuff all this in my summer pack - 2400 cubes. i have given thought to diy in the future, but the cost of that is prohibitive (i dont have a sewing machine and walmarts elimination of cheap fabric make this a more $$ option).

Hammock
    DW Chameleon/SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    SLD, WB, HG
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ, MLD TQ
    Suspension
    Daisy/Soft Shackle
    in case you go the chinook route...this place is selling it for approx $31 shipped which may be cheaper than ebay.

http://www.americanesuperstore.com/gs55094.html

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8mice View Post
    in case you go the chinook route...this place is selling it for approx $31 shipped which may be cheaper than ebay.

http://www.americanesuperstore.com/gs55094.html

If you want it quickly I'd recommend you check with ANY supplier before placing an order for the Chinook 12' x 9'6" tarp. Most suppliers I've found on the web are out of stock. They have plenty of the 14' x 12's though. JMHO.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by decaff View Post
    angrysparrow...not feasible right now anyway. im looking for something to get me into winter (better coverage than my lil siltarp) and eventually use as a backup or for buddys or my kid etc. money will become less of an issue in a few months. i love gear. but i hate gear. its a love hate relationship really the lowes tarp i wouldnt mind, but im trying to stuff all this in my summer pack - 2400 cubes. i have given thought to diy in the future, but the cost of that is prohibitive (i dont have a sewing machine and walmarts elimination of cheap fabric make this a more $$ option).
    Agreed on the size of the Lowe's tarp. That is my solution (since I already have one) until I can decide what I want long-term.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    noahlamport.com has sil for $3/yd... they are '2nds' but only with cosmetic blemishes. For a 12' no-cut rectangle tarp you're looking at 8yds for $24 (plus $5 cut fee + shipping). Provided you can find a sewing machine to use... (check a local church or sewing store for clubs and borrow ) and you've got your nice full-cover tarp for under $50.

margin of error is always a consideration in diy, but it can really save money in the long run... plus i think it feels good to use gear *you* made to face the wilderness.

• + New Posts