WBBB 1.1dl lefty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj.Web/Dutch clip

Thread Injector Woes

So I was resizing a hat the other day and my trusty Brother XL-5130 had other ideas and did a partial disintegration right before my eyes. The needle attachment would not re-attach. So I went on ebay and bid on and won a 1950ish Singer 328K in great working condition. I received it the other day and the case and machine were broken in shipment. I did get my money back and am waiting to see if I need to ship it back or give it to FedEx.
    So I went back to my Brother and was able to re-attach the needle with an allen wrench and figured "At least I can finish my project". No Dice. The machine apparently is done sewing. So now I have 2 broken machines and no way to finish my projects. Now I have to either take 1 (or both depending) to the repair guy or shell out big bucks for a new one. I'm so very sad. Thanks for reading my vent.
    I was told there'd be no math on this exam. ~T.D.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl lefty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj.Web/Dutch clip
    Thanks, I have to find out what's wrong first. It won't catch with the bobbin thread and after 3 or so stitches, it breaks the thread. I've adjusted the tension among other things and it is just being stubborn at this point. I have to take it into the shop. I've been pretty hard on the old guy. He's about 10 years old which is pretty good for a plastic cheapie one. I'm hoping I get to keep the old broken Singer and I can use the money I got refunded to fix it. This Brother has never liked doing anything heavy duty.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Best of luck. If you were closer, I'd let you borrow mine.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Pics would help. You may not have gotten the collar on the way it should go. So check that against the pictures in the manual. Everything should be nice and snug with no wobble or vibration at all.

But also make sure the needle is properly seated all the way in and is put in properly. They _must_ go in a certain way or they will not work and the thread gets totally clogged. There is no real universal guide for that. There is a flat side to the needle which orients it. It has to go in properly or what you describe will happen every time. Oh... and it is easy to mess that up. Even expert stitchers do it on occasion.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibby View Post
    It won't catch with the bobbin thread and after 3 or so stitches, it breaks the thread. I've adjusted the tension among other things and it is just being stubborn at this point.
    Start with the simple.
    - What kind of thread are you using? If it's Coats and Clark from Walmart, that could be your problem. Try using Gutermann's.
    - Has your machine been cleaned recently?
    - And did you adjust both the top and bottom (bobbin) tension?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It has to go in properly or what you describe will happen every time. Oh... and it is easy to mess that up. Even expert stitchers do it on occasion.
    +1 on that! (yes voice of experience)
    if you got money back on shipped machine, maybe you could use that to pay the Repair guy? of the 2, I would endorse repairing the Singer over the Brother.
    also, check your local 'quilting specialty shop'; usually they will either have or know of a guy who does the older machines.
    HTH, KM (who is way too susceptible to buying sewing machines at garage sales..)

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I bought two machines at yard sales. The first one was a Sears Kenmore and it sews wonderfully. The machine is about 30 years old and if it ever breaks no parts are available, but for $10 you can't go wrong.
    The second machine I bought, was right next door to the first one I bought. (community yard sale) It is a Singer and I got it for $15. It worked great but the bobbin encasement was loose. I got it fixed and serviced for $59 and it now sews wonderfully.
    You have to be careful at yard sales and garage sales, but I was very fortunate. Look them over very carefully and if you can ask them to plug it in and demostrate it works. Some folks will gladly do that for you. Good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl lefty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj.Web/Dutch clip
    I heard from the seller and the Singer is mine to do with what I want. I found a local repair shop but the guy wants $125 just for labor (and that quote was just over the phone) I found a thread from someone on another site having the same problem I am having with the Singer and the reply she got fixed it. It might just be a loose belt. I'm going to try that tonight (fingers crossed). I agree that the Singer would be the one to fix.

I will try turning the needle around on the Brother and see if that helps. I'm going to open it up and take a look inside as well. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I'll have some good news tonight.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl lefty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj.Web/Dutch clip
    I am very happy to report that BOTH machines are now fixed and working great. The Singer had a loose belt that took me a little bit to figure out but it is now running smoothly. The Brother's needle clamp was on backwards (Thanks Ramblinrev) and now that is sewing perfectly as well. Thanks so much for your help. This place is awesome!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast