Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Newbie Questions

I've a few questions about the new sew version:
    1. Any suggestions on ways to protect the liner where you open up the holes to insert the shock cord? I don't think you can add a grommet since you can't access both sides.
    2. On a Hennessy Hammock, I assume you don't use the hammock's bottom stake-outs when using the PLUQ?
    Thanks in advance

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I've a few questions about the new sew version:
    1. Any suggestions on ways to protect the liner where you open up the holes to insert the shock cord? I don't think you can add a grommet since you can't access both sides.
    2. On a Hennessy Hammock, I assume you don't use the hammock's bottom stake-outs when using the PLUQ?
    Thanks in advance
    1.) Didn't really worry about it with mine...but, then again, I probably only used it a dozen nights before sewing it up and adding grosgrain loops to the corners. The material certainly seemed tough enough to stand up to the abuse (remember, these were intended originally to be "GI-proof").

2.) You can or not, as you prefer. It's easier to get a good seal without using the tie-outs (and, in fact, I've wrapped the ties around the outside of my PLUQ and clipped 'em back to the rings where they start in order to offer a little extra support a couple of times when I felt like it was sagging too much), but it does allow the netting to droop a bit. Essentially, if the skeeters are bad enough that you need the net, a little extra draftiness isn't going to be too bad. So, if you need the net, use the tie-outs. If not, don't. At least, that's been my experience.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Thanks. Your right in that something designed for combat should hold up for a little weekend hammocking! I just get a little OCD sometimes. That's not true. I'm OCD all the time. Thanks for the quick response. I was actually thinking about velcro to gather-up the loose ends.

A couple of follow-up questions

Received my PL and I'm going to attempt this weekend. I'm going with the No Sew option first. I'm going to used the "revised" version with the two lines having the separated suspension lines and end drawing strings. I have a couple of follow-ups:
    1. Is the "revised" version on this thread still the best No Sew approach for a newb?
    2. Is orientation for the two drawstring holes on each end critical? Should they both be "inside" the folded area or each one of the outside? of the folded? Does it matter?
    Thanks!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad & PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Finished my PLUQ this weekend. Seems to works great at blocking the wind but I am having a rough time getting it to hang properly. Any pointers on making it hang better. It seems to sag to one side and will not wrap around the hammock while I'm in it.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You might need stronger shock cord, pull the UQ tighter, but you might have over-tightened the end channels...

Let us know.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    You might need stronger shock cord, pull the UQ tighter, but you might have over-tightened the end channels...

Let us know.
    Yes, +1 for what Mr. Sawyer points out. Every time that I have been unable to score the right diameter shock cord, my entire project has been ruined (temporarily) because the **** cord will not snap it up underneath me properly and just sags lazily.

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    Too many posts to read though them all, so this may have been answered already. If you are using a HH classic with bottom entry, how do you use the UQ?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cat cut Hex
    Insulation
    Folded PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

My take on the NS-PLUQ

Hi All!

Just got back from a trip with my daughter... wanted to share my take on the no-sew PLUQ. Not much different, just wanted to modify the PL as little as possible for multiple uses.

I sewed 4 grosgrain loops onto the "long" sides, 2 on each end and also melted holes for the shock cord to bunch up the ends. (You can see it if you look closely in the photo above...) This one has holes melted in the border near the loops, so I have 4 cord locks to adjust the gather, 2 on each end. (not the best way I think now...)

My second one has the holes melted in the border near center ties. I centered a pony bead on my length of shock-cord, put both ends through the cord-lock, threaded it through the the border up to the sewn-in loops, and zig-zag sewed the ends in place. The bead keeps the cord from being pulled through the lock. I like this one better...

I have a "triangle thing" on the first underquilt.... I tried a different suspension on the second one.... (only because I didn't have the suspension rigged yet, and we got into our camp about 11:00pm and I needed to get it up so I could sleep!!) I have a modified triangle thing now and they both work well...

Thanks everyone for sharing ideas here to try out! Lots of great help here and appreciate everyone here!!

Jim
    Last edited by SlyFox; 07-29-2013 at 15:18. Reason: Added photos

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    800FP Downtek
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice tutorial and writeup. The innovation here is outstanding.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast