WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

bridge hammock question

Hey guys, just a quick question about diy bridge hammocks----I just put together a quick and dirty prototype of a grizz style hammock using some materials I had laying around the house----it works good, but I noticed the top of the sides (where the structure is sewn into) seem s like the thread holes are kind of elongated when Im sitting in the hammock. (like they are going to rip out eventually) Is this normal? What are some other ways to make the side load bearing structure?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Hey guys, just a quick question about diy bridge hammocks----I just put together a quick and dirty prototype of a grizz style hammock using some materials I had laying around the house----it works good, but I noticed the top of the sides (where the structure is sewn into) seem s like the thread holes are kind of elongated when Im sitting in the hammock. (like they are going to rip out eventually) Is this normal? What are some other ways to make the side load bearing structure?
    My JRB has been like that from day one, used to worry me. Still going strong years later, thread holes are just the same as they were 4 or 5 years ago. I asked Pan about that 6 months or a year ago. I can't remember the exact answer or explanation, but pretty sure the bottom line was nothing to worry about, at least with that hammock.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    This happens less (or I see it less) when the stitching along the rolled webbing is close to the edge of the webbing, along the bottom. The webbing twists under load and when the stitching is higher than the edge there seems to be a bit of "pull-away" of the fabric from the webbing.

That said, I've never had a bridge hammock seam give out right there. It is under a lot of stress and so some stretching is to be expected I guess.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    This happens less (or I see it less) when the stitching along the rolled webbing is close to the edge of the webbing, along the bottom. The webbing twists under load and when the stitching is higher than the edge there seems to be a bit of "pull-away" of the fabric from the webbing.

That said, I've never had a bridge hammock seam give out right there. It is under a lot of stress and so some stretching is to be expected I guess.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. My first bridge did this and on the second I sewed right up to the edge and have had no issue.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

Grizz, thanks for the advice! So, the stitching should be near the top of the webbing? Does it help if you use more stitches per inch? I was a little concerned about the stitching, so I sewed it several times, including really close to the bottom---sounds like that was the problem. One more question, I didnt have strap material, or amsteel, so i used some heavy duty grosgain ribbon, doubled over. It worked for a short test hang, but is that a good idea for long term use? How does that work if you use amsteel? (how is it stitched?) Also, on a bridge hammock, is the fabric under more tension than a gathered end hammock? (is the fabric under more stress?)
    Last edited by stevebo; 07-29-2012 at 06:27.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts