Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    I mean what is "contains remnants of unknown fabric" really supposed to tell me about what the material is.
    Isn't that a great sticker. REALLY, could it be any more vague. Why even bother with the sticker.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

nice job and that is funny about sticker lol

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    ...what is "contains remnants of unknown fabric" really supposed to tell me ...?
    Someone suggested that Wal*Mart is reluctant to sell nylon because it is flammable.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp

Some Testing Results

I figured I would just post the testing results of my newly (semi) completed DIY hammock and tarp instead of making a whole new thread.

Sleeping test
    So I took it out and slept under the stars Monday pm (in the backyard of course). Go out, string it up. Put my sleeping pad in, then my sleeping bag. Then I leave it for a little while to go back inside and put on my "hiking" regalia that I would be sleeping in on the trail. Trudge the long 50 feet back out to the hammock and climb in.

30 mins. in I am really hot. So hot that I am thinking of striping some clothing off; but I resist the temptation and just unzip the sleeping back and pull my arms out. Much better

Temp. dips down to 39* about 4 a.m. and start to get a little chilled . Try to adjust and end up just making myself have to pee So climb out of the hammock (no brave enough to try and pee out of it yet, I just keep imagining flipping out of the hammock into so slightly warm water ). Adjust everything before I get back in. Zip up the sleeping bag and feel much better.

Climb out of the hammock about 7:00 a.m. to make sure the wife is up. Overall, test was a great success. Especially considering my sleeping bag is rated to 42*.

Rain test
    So came home yesterday afternoon and there was some pretty typical Florida rain. So immediately I ran inside to grab my hammock and tarp to take outside and see (1) How quickly I could set-up in the rain (2) how my tarp held up to "real" rain (3) see how my tarp held up under some typical wind for Florida.

Head out to the back yard and commence pitching my tarp. Wow, easier than I thought. So I begin hanging the hammock. Bright light, loud noise Okay, time to head back inside. Watch my tarp and hammock through the kitchen window (not heading out in that bright light and loud noise).

30 mins. later the lighting is gone. Head back out to the back yard and climb under the tarp. Only thing leaking is the ridge where I didn't have time to seam seal yet. Look around, obviously seconds fabric I bought. A couple thin spots letting some water leach through. Grab the ends of the hammock to see if it was wet, nothing. Probably still going to add some drip lines though. Since I am out there, mine as well climb in the hammock for some real testing Ahhh, no water dripping on me, I could go to sleep.

Ok gotta leave. Time to see how long it takes to pack up in the rain. Start stop watch (forgot to time set-up, doh!). Unrig hammock from suspension, stuff it in a bag. Climb out and undo one side of tarp. Start to cram it in the bag. Undo other end of tarp, shove it in the bad along with the suspension for the hammock (quite wet). Stop watch and look, 5:04. Whohoo

Lesson learned
    (1) Definitely need to make some snake skins. Tired of fighting to keep my hammock off the ground when packing.
    (2) How I pack my tarp in the stuff sack will drastically affect set up and take down times.
    (3) It took 5 mins to pack sleeping bag and pad Tues a.m. So I can pack up in 10-15 mins. (Imagining packing my tent in that time ).
    (4) Need to install drip lines (better safe than soaked)
    (5) Next tarp is going to at least be 12 ft long, a little wind coming from the foot or head could get me damp
    (6) Garda hitch is difficult to loosen, so I have to make sure I put a non-binding knot on one end that will be easy to let loose.

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Someone suggested that Wal*Mart is reluctant to sell nylon because it is flammable.
    Well that's just crazy. Have they not figured out that cotton is flammable And cotton makes up the majority of their fabrics. In fact, nearly every fabric they sell is flammable.

Sorry about the rant, but those kinda things get under my skin.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    nice review of your kit.
    Well done
    Thanks
    Tom

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Nice Job! And all Made with WalMart $1.50 material. I like that....

Of course you know that what you thought was a project will now turn into an obsession.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    WONDERFUL job!!! Congratulations to you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123