Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    . My question on PeaPods is: since it has velcro to hook it along the top and you can have a face hole, how do you breath if you roll to your side. Does breath moisten the pod?
    I am a back sleeper and stay very still while hammocking so that would not affect me but I am curious what others do.
    Down the road I just gotta try and make one!
    Shug
    i've not used mine a lot yet when it was cold enough to close it up that much but my impression is that there is enough looseness that you could take the hole to one edge of the hammock if you rolled onto your side.
    maybe billybob or someone else can chime in on that one.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i've not used mine a lot yet when it was cold enough to close it up that much but my impression is that there is enough looseness that you could take the hole to one edge of the hammock if you rolled onto your side.
    maybe billybob or someone else can chime in on that one.
    That is pretty much correct. Or you could just leave it more or less on top, I suspect. I think it would still work ok, I don't think the pod would be in your face suffocating you. I laid on my side today, in my Claytor, with the hole up on top. It seemed OK. I'll try to pay more attention later.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i suspect it would be something to be more careful about on a longer hike were you could get a build up of moister in the pea pod from breathing inside it, especially if you didn't have any dry spells to dry it out.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i suspect it would be something to be more careful about on a longer hike were you could get a build up of moister in the pea pod from breathing inside it, especially if you didn't have any dry spells to dry it out.
    Yes, definitely. An a few times I have closed the pod on top completely, when I am laying on my back with breath exhaled upwards into the fully closed pod. I always thought this would be a big problem, especially for the hour or so I did this on a 10* night. I was a lttle chilled on top, and when I did this it felt like it warmed up 20* overall. From a little chilled to toasty warm in 5 or 10 minutes. But I only took that chance on moisture accumulation and loft loss cause I new I would be going in soon and could definitely dry it out the next day.

But, to my great surprise, I couldn't really tell that anything negative happened. It seemed that the vast majority of the moisture went right on through. Of course, that was just an hour or so, and maybe with some dif weather conditions it might have condensed. But, a number of pod users have reported to me doing this in the field without problems. And I have done this a number of times since with zero problems, but still only for short periods of time, not all night.

And I can't say that things might not be quite dif if you were on your side exhaling into the side of the hammock and then the side of the pod. It might be a problem even with an opening up above. For one thing, even when fully closed, there is a small strip along side the Velcro where only one layer of nylon separates you from the cold air. This might be enough for moisture to escape when you exhale straight up into it. There might be different results if you breath sideways into nearly 3" of down. Maybe a few folks who have used the pod on the trail on long hikes can chime in with their observations about side sleeping with a pod and any condensation problems they might have had, or not had.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sorry to jump in where I'm most likely just intruding, but it sounds like you need to invent a hammock Pod Snorkel System for venting the moisture laden breath out of your pod. I'm picturing a full mouth and nose snorkel mask type thing. This would be especially helpful in extreeemly cold weather, maybe combine it with a hot pack for warming the incoming air before it reaches you... but I digress, back to what you were saying...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I only got my peapod this winter and it is the light weight one. I have only used it a couple time, but really like it. I sleep on my back so I can't speak for side sleeping. When I do batten down the hatches and close it up as much as possible I try to open it just below my chin and direct my breath toward the opening. It stays a 4 to 6 inches from my face. This area gets warmer from my breath and body heat, yet the moisture seem to vent out. It really keeps my nose and cheeks from getting cold. I have not had any moisture as of yet.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for all of that peapod info everyone. I sure appreciate it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12