Hanging a Hammock, Newbie Questions

Got an HH Exped Asym as a birthday gift. I have long coveted a hammock for short hiking, kayak, and longer bike trips. I've read the HH site, poked round the net, and have searched and surfed through the HForums - pardon if these are easily answered newb questions... but I can't seem to find a 12 step program to get a hammock hanging right.

In the fading light tonight I tried to get a hang in the backyard.
    Trees were small, I double wrapped them both.
    They were at the limits of the hammock's line.

I started the hang as far as I could reach up the tree - I'm 5'8" tall, 195# (yikes! where did that come from??).
    Managed to get the HH wrap tight, and the hammock snug.

Height of the HH was bar stool high. Opened the hatch and slowly got in. Managed to get fully inboard but knew that I was close to the ground, about 8" above. Getting out was interesting - nothing like 'sliding off a chair' as I've read on other sites.

Re-adjusted. Managed to get in again and ended up 12" above.
    Played around for awhile... and packed it in when I couldn't see anymore.

Some questions, as this isn't as intuitive as I thought it would be:

What am I doing wrong with the hang?

When lying inside, on my back, how should I position myself in the A-sym? (head on the right - feet left, or head left - feet right?

Do folks stake down the hammock tie outs? The HH ties are shock cord - tie a loop and stake it out? How tight should they be (unloaded)?

And, what is, or where can I find the "Hammock's for Dummies" version of setting up?"

Thanks much...
    Mike

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome!

You're not doing anything wrong. The HH line is famous around here for stretching, and stretching, and so on. It will stop eventually, I promise. Remember to really make it tight when you hang it.

In the HH; your head should be on your left and your feet to the right. The tie-outs depend; they aren't necessary. Many don't use them in cold weather mode so that pods or socks fit better. I recommend using them when you can.

This IS Hammock's for Dummies; welcome aboard.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Got an HH Exped Asym as a birthday gift. I have long coveted a hammock for short hiking, kayak, and longer bike trips. I've read the HH site, poked round the net, and have searched and surfed through the HForums - pardon if these are easily answered newb questions... but I can't seem to find a 12 step program to get a hammock hanging right.

In the fading light tonight I tried to get a hang in the backyard.
    Trees were small, I double wrapped them both.
    They were at the limits of the hammock's line.

I started the hang as far as I could reach up the tree - I'm 5'8" tall, 195# (yikes! where did that come from??).
    Managed to get the HH wrap tight, and the hammock snug.

Height of the HH was bar stool high. Opened the hatch and slowly got in. Managed to get fully inboard but knew that I was close to the ground, about 8" above. Getting out was interesting - nothing like 'sliding off a chair' as I've read on other sites.

Re-adjusted. Managed to get in again and ended up 12" above.
    Played around for awhile... and packed it in when I couldn't see anymore.

Some questions, as this isn't as intuitive as I thought it would be:

What am I doing wrong with the hang?

When lying inside, on my back, how should I position myself in the A-sym? (head on the right - feet left, or head left - feet right?

Do folks stake down the hammock tie outs? The HH ties are shock cord - tie a loop and stake it out? How tight should they be (unloaded)?

And, what is, or where can I find the "Hammock's for Dummies" version of setting up?"

Thanks much...
    Mike
    When lying on your back, head should be on the left, feet should be on the right. Also, hang the foot end slightly higher than the head end. This will help keep you from sliding downwards.
    The hammock tie outs can be tied to your stakes. Tie them just tight enough to pull the sides out. The tie outs are also used with an underquilt such as a JRB underquilt that has side loops that the shock cord goes thru to help keep the underquilt correctly in place. Many dont use them at all.
    No hammock for dummies that I'm aware of. There's a learning curve that will take a little time. Keep reading and asking questions.
    Many of us here have ditched the suspension system on hammocks such as a Hennessy and opted for better options such as ring buckles and cinch buckles.
    I use cinch buckles, carabiners, and webbing. Search here for plenty of info. about this. Much quicker and easier adjusting of the hammock compared to the tree hugger method such as Hennessy's. You can also hang from trees as wide apart as you wish and trees as thick around as you wish.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    If you were using the tree huggers that is the problem with the stretching. I just got 2 HH netless hammocks and hung them without the tree huggers and did not experience the continued stretching problem. The other thing is that the HH knot is usually a "loose" knot and will tighten up and the hammock will drop.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    If you were using the tree huggers that is the problem with the stretching. I just got 2 HH netless hammocks and hung them without the tree huggers and did not experience the continued stretching problem. The other thing is that the HH knot is usually a "loose" knot and will tighten up and the hammock will drop.
    ALCON....(All Concerned), which should be everone on this point

Please do not start eliminating the tree saver straps.... they are necessary to prevent tree damage, especially on the thin line spectra HH models....

This is a good way to exaccerbate the "nothing tied to the trees" Issues of some state and local parks.

Substitute polyester straps if necessary to eliminate excessive stretch..... But realistically these stretch only an inch or so.... Just learn to deal with it.... stretch is easily planned and compensated.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I use cinch buckles, carabiners, and webbing. Search here for plenty of info. about this. Much quicker and easier adjusting of the hammock compared to the tree hugger method such as Hennessy's. You can also hang from trees as wide apart as you wish and trees as thick around as you wish.
    heh, i just had a vision of haning a HH with ratchet straps - the kind used to tie stuff down to trailers.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    heh, i just had a vision of haning a HH with ratchet straps - the kind used to tie stuff down to trailers.
    That has been discussed. Here's some info. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...5830#post25830

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Nothing wrong with only being 8-12" off the ground.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Nothing wrong with only being 8-12" off the ground.
    I agree with Rapt, there's nothing wrong with that height, especially since you're at the limit of the hammock's lines. I'd just keep readjusting/tightening, and let the line stretch work itself out.

Btw, welcome to the forums!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts