WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap

Exped mat for bottom insulation?

Okay forgive me if this has already been asked, and it probably has.

If I get a double layer WBBB, is it possible to use a Exped synthetic or down mat as insulation between layers?

I understand the compression issue, but will an insulated, inflated pad be compressed in this particular application?

I also assume there is a good reason why most people seem to just use an UQ.

I'm just trying to stay on budget here with as much multi-purpose gear as possible.

Any advise, comments are welcome.

Thanks guys.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post
    Okay forgive me if this has already been asked, and it probably has.

If I get a double layer WBBB, is it possible to use a Exped synthetic or down mat as insulation between layers?

I understand the compression issue, but will an insulated, inflated pad be compressed in this particular application?

I'm just trying to stay on budget here with as much multi-purpose gear as possible.

Any advise, comments are welcome.

Thanks guys.
    A mat like the Exped will work, but the wide version mats work better to give you some shoulder coverage. Because the hammock wraps up around your shoulders, a normal 20" wide pad/mat doesn't offer any insulation to the shoulders. UQs do a better job at conforming. Note that the Speer SPE is specifically designed to use a 20" wide pad/mat and add extra width/insulation at shoulders and knees where you need it most.

If you use an inflatable pad (like the Exped 7 or 9 Downmat), you'll get plenty of insulation where you're on the pad, but you'll have to use it partly inflated to get a better fit with curves of the hammock shape.

I tried a 20"x72" NeoAir as my first attempt for bottom insulation in a WBBB. I was warm where I was on the pad, but cold where I wasn't. Then I tried a 24" wide NeoAir Large pad. Better, but still cold where the shoulder was against hammock only. Next round was a 3 season Yeti... =>BLISS and comfortable warmth in a package that was substantially lighter and packed smaller than any pad.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I disagree that you have to partially inflate to make an air mat work. Some folks do, some folks do not. Pads can and are used as under insulation. A Speer SPE is a great way to make it work.

Um, Beep, your tagline sounds like an incoherent fortune cookie. Is there a story behind that?
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post

Sounds like you already own an insulated mat?? When I first got my hammock, I kept useing my gear from tarp/tent camping. These included Exped DAM mats. I found they worked very well....except for my shoulders (and I'm a girl, guys have even wider shoulders and would probably have an even tougher time keeping warm). But, point is, you can use your tent gear and still sleep quite well. You may or may not have to adjust how much air you fill the mat with. You can also use your sleeping bag but don't try to get inside it and zip it up. Just try opening it and laying it over you and sticking your feet into the foot end.
    The reason I switched from a mat under to making my under quilts was becasue of 1, cold shoulders and 2, I roll about and couldn't keep my short Exped 7 mat under me. (I carried the short for backpacking). #2 was the main reason I switched, I could wrap something around my shoulders to stay warm but waking up all night long due to not being on the mat because I'm cold.... that had change.
    Oh, I also tried an air only mat. Didn't work. No insulation. Was cold!!!

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    not sure yet.
    Suspension
    Open to suggestion
    Trouthunter. I am new to this site, and have alot to learn from all you folks, but, what I have use as an "underquilt" as I understand it to be refered to is: Two (2) military issue poncho liners. You can find them at any army navy surpluss store. I went with those because of there versatility. They weigh nothing, and compess great. you can tie them together with the corner and edge strings that they come w/or safty pin them together. I am a rookie here, but I hope that plants a seed of thought. Be cool. Tortise1.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've slept w/ the Downmat 7 regular several times. It's almost 3" thick, which for me is enough to keep me high enough in the hammock that compressing insulation at my shoulders isn't a problem. I can use it w/o a SPE or anything else...I'm 5'10" and have been up to ~195 when using it that way. I don't move around a lot when I'm on it, and there isn't a whole lot of extra width, but it's still comfortable. I slept into the teens at Mt Rogers winter hang that way.

I fully inflate mine. It lays nice and flat and keeps the hammock open wide. Lots of folks partially inflate it...that may be why mine protects my shoulders and theirs doesn't.

I normally use an UQ b/c it's lighter than the Exped and allows me to move around a bit more b/c of the side coverage. But a 3" thick UQ that fits well is quite a bit more expensive than my Downmat...so that may be a consideration for you.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

Um, Beep, your tagline sounds like an incoherent fortune cookie. Is there a story behind that?
    LOL...that's pretty close. There was a video game from many years ago that had dialog so badly translated from the original language into English that the lines became classic. They amused me so I borrowed them for a tag line.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Multimat

There is quite a bit of info on use of an Exped Multimat for hammock (mostly HH) bottom insulation in my review here:

Multimat review

Also in my Blackbird review here:

Blackbird review

Since the Multimat does not inflate, no issues there, and at 40" wide it has good shoulder coverage. At $40 its a pretty reasonable solution for warmer weather, and for folks who like to have a sit pad with them. The biggest issue is its a bit bulky.

Regards,
    --Kurt

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Thanks for the replies,
    I currently have an older Henny, bottom entry, with a hand me down DIY UQ that has seen better days. I'm just ready to move on to something different

I am in the process of replacing a good bit of my gear in both my traditional set up, and in my lightweight set up. I am getting an Exped pad to replace my older Ridgerest, which I use for hunting & camping with the family.

So, while I prefer to have top notch gear that is selected for specific applications, I am trying to make some compromises that will let me get new gear, a little at a time and still stay on budget. I expect to have a new hammock set up with tarp & quilts within the next 6 months, at least before next winter.
    I am hoping to do the Foothills Trail along the NC/SC state line this winter, but this time with a lightweight set up. Anyway that's why I came to Hammock Forums, so you guys could help me with the latest, greatest stuff.

Thanks

• + New Posts