Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    .Some of the hangs that were particularly 'stretchy' were long (around 20ft between trees), so that may have had something to do with it.
    yep, those long distance hangs will test your supports for stretch.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I have a stupid question and someone may have asked it already and I missed it.

You take the loop end of the webbing and put the biner through it.

The you take the other end of the webbing and run it through the biner.

That end goes down and runs through the rings and you pull tight to hold the webbing in place.

ok my question...why do you need the biner?? Just run the other end of the webbing through the loop end and procede like normal through the rings.

The webbing will be what fails not the biner. So if the webbing breaks you will still fall down whether you use the biner or not.

By not using the biner you have one less piece of equipment to keep up with.

Any reason that won't work?

I don't use a biner. I just use the dual rings for easy adjustment. Basically, I have full length webbing (15 feet each side). And use the Speer four wrap knot.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Not at all - that's what I've been doing with my CC buckles for a while. The biner just makes things a bit quicker and more convenient. By using the clip-on biner instead of threading through the webbing loop, you can leave the hammock end of the webbing threaded into the buckle. That way the whole bit is one piece. So by adding a couple biners (and a couple ounces) you're actually reducing the number of pieces to keep up with.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Any reason that won't work?
    It works fine.

Two things:

It has been stated that looping the webbing that way is more abrasive to the webbing itself than biner. I can't say whether that is true or not, but that's the theory.

The biner adds some convenience. To loop the webbing through it's own loop, you have to have it free from the rings. By not having the biner on there, you don't have to do that, and can essentially just sling the biner end around the trees and pull tight.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I just finished ordering all the piece/parts for my ring buckles. Some of it won't be here till the 27th (when the local REI gets their shipment, but the shipping's free that way). I got the webbing from Ed, ordered at the hangout last weekend, the camp wire gate biners and some back-ordered rings from Mountain Gear, some supposedly not back-ordered rings and some figure 9's from REI. When I have rings in hand I may cancel the back-ordered ones, or just wait and get those to have extra's for my yet-to-be-even-designed-much-less-made other hammocks.

I'll get this hammocking thing figured out yet. Special thanks to Slowhike for showing me how to use the figure 9's on the tarp.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I heard from a climber, well more than one, that threading webbing though webbing is a no-no. They were talking about linking two lengths of climbing webbing together by threading through the end loops. Something about webbing to webbing wear and the webbing failing. Don't know if the same applies to hammock use.

I use the biner simply because it is much easier and quicker to click the webbing into the biner than thread 7' to 10' of webbing through the end loop and then pulling it back out again.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I just finished ordering all the piece/parts for my ring buckles. Some of it won't be here till the 27th (when the local REI gets their shipment, but the shipping's free that way). I got the webbing from Ed, ordered at the hangout last weekend, the camp wire gate biners and some back-ordered rings from Mountain Gear, some supposedly not back-ordered rings and some figure 9's from REI. When I have rings in hand I may cancel the back-ordered ones, or just wait and get those to have extra's for my yet-to-be-even-designed-much-less-made other hammocks.

I'll get this hammocking thing figured out yet. Special thanks to Slowhike for showing me how to use the figure 9's on the tarp.
    You well on your way to hanging bliss. You'll love that set-up.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I started out without the biner. I experienced what I can best discribe as the webbing welding to itself in the loop. The force from me using it from one night appeared to fuse the webbing together at the loop. Not something I would trust to the long haul.

I now use 2 biners. A lot easier to use and adjust. No adverse effects on the webbing. I am playing around with using the biners during the day to attach water bottles to the straps on my gearskin. Easiest way I have found so far to easily get to my water bottle with the pack on.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post

i think you'll like the rings on the hammock & the figure 9s on the tarp.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 45 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast