GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs

PA/NJ Hangers:

Pretty nasty weather we've been having these past few days, has anyone been out in it? I was working today and looking out the window at a particularly fierce thunderstorm and thought to myself, "Wow, I'd really love to be under a tarp right now making coffee and playing harmonica." If it turns out like this again tomorrow I might just have to set up in a local park. I doubt anyone will notice me.

So, anyone got any stories to share?
    Only the dreamer venoms all his days,
    Bearing more woe than all his sins deserve.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Terrible weather. Especially because I've got 2 weeks till I start my new job and have been hoping to use them for some bike camping trips in the woods around Philly. And it looks like it's supposed to keep doing this throughout the 10-day forecast.

I'd be a lot more happy about camping in this if I were more confident in my tarp and my ability to hang it, unfortunately. Still, I'm planning to bike out to the Pine Barrens tomorrow for an overnight, then maybe head up the Schuylkill Trail to Port Clinton or so at some point.

I did get to bike through Saturday night's 2 am downpour, about 10 miles, most of which was through Fairmount Park. Once I realized I was getting wet no matter what I did, it was actually pretty fun.

Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    Wow, Port Clinton's 80 miles from Philly, how long does that take you on a bike? I really want to get into bike touring but I don't think I've got it in me for an 80 mile ride just yet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Ugh I have been so bored. No money to afford gas to go anywhere and the rain has finally stopped about an hour or two ago.

I just sat around and kept thinking about my trip in 1 1/2 weeks. The Forks, Maine for rafting trip class V's and IV's, and then to Gulf Hagas (the grand canyon of Maine) for a two or three night backpacking trip. That kept me going for these passed few days hehe. Then the semester begins and back to the old grind.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by joehasbeard View Post
    Wow, Port Clinton's 80 miles from Philly, how long does that take you on a bike? I really want to get into bike touring but I don't think I've got it in me for an 80 mile ride just yet.
    It's 80 mostly flat miles (at least as far as I know), with "flat" being the operative word. Admittedly I haven't ridden much past Valley Forge along the river, so it could get nasty further up, but it's a river valley so I doubt.

If you don't bike often, you would have to work your way up to an 80 mile ride, but it's a lot easier than it sounds if you ride regularly and keep pushing yourself to longer and longer distances. And in any case, 80 miles on flats (or very gradual uphill as this would be) is way easier than 40 or 50 miles in a place like Lancaster County where you're always going up or down a big hill.

I still haven't gone on any real bike tours, these will be my first, but I'm hoping to do some longer ones when I have both money and time.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Dang thats pretty good JbP

I been thinking about biking a new trail that opened up by my college as part of the Rails to Trails program. Its about 70 miles long or so. I was planning on putting that in 2-3 over nighters. You would just gobble that thing up LOL.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    I'm guessing you guys haven't biked much...80 miles is really not that far. (Again, depending on terrain). People on bike tours, fully loaded with camping gear and everything, often ride 100 or more in a day. People on unloaded bikes do double centuries, although that's definitely hardcore. If you start biking for a bit, you'd be surprised how far you can go in a full day's biking.

Of course, off-road also adds a level of difficulty onto it.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    where do you plan to camp in Port clinton... if your only off the road i would join you depending on the day.... let me know
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I actually bike quite a bit but definitely not that far. I always ride my bike to work, college, and the food market and liquor store and since I live downtown of a small town its all within a 2 minute bike ride. I ride provided the weather is decent. I never have tried anything long distance full day, but definitely plan on it.

Do you have saddlebags or do you wear a backpack

Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    I don't do much riding aside from to and from work but in the absence of a car bike touring is my only option if I really wanna get out there and camp. Any suggestions on a good bike to start out with?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast