Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Thanks for the answer angrysparrow.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Hey, just a question about this new rule. How do vendors make us aware of their awesome sales? Will a member get chastised if they find a vendor having a sale, and post info about it so that the rest of us can take advantage of the discounts? I don't have time to go trolling through all the vendor's sites to see if they are having a sale, and I do like to know about it when they do (in case I can actually afford anything they are selling.) I mean, my best and favorite hammock was made/advertised by WBG (who is now considered a vendor) here in a forum, and I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger on it if I hadn't seen all the pics and posts from Brandon about what he was doing. I can site other examples of good that has come from vendor's being able to post info on their sales, as I'm sure many others here on the site can as well.

I know why you are doing this, and I agree with it 100%. I just want to find out if there is any provision for vendors letting us know what is new, what is coming, and what is on sale. I actually appreciate that knowledge, without the background sniping between competing vendors.

Maybe there should be (is?) just a vendor sale forum or an advertisement section (that doesn't get turned off by UserCP) that our good friends can at least inform us that they have something going on. Or is that going to be covered by the Advertisements (that most people turn off?)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    FishinFinn, I was worried too. But, check out #4

4. Product and sales announcements, and discussing your products are encouraged. Product and sales announcements must be made in your own sub-forum where possible. Commenting on your products is fine in the general discussion forums, but please do this with discretion and do not allow it to become spam. Please ensure your posts in the general forums add useful information to the discussion; posts that are nothing more than advertisements may be removed at the discretion of the moderators.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I just want to find out if there is any provision for vendors letting us know what is new, what is coming, and what is on sale. I actually appreciate that knowledge, without the background sniping between competing vendors.
    Vendors are welcome to post sale info and new product announcements. We simply ask that those announcements be made in their own sub-forum. From Rule #4:

4. Product and sales announcements, and discussing your products are encouraged. Product and sales announcements must be made in your own sub-forum where possible.
    Also, if one of the members here spots a sale on gear that wasn't announced, it's certainly appropriate to talk about it either in that vendor's subforum, or as a head's up post in the 4sale section.

edit - Cannibal beat me to it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    One of my minor frustrations with the forum turns out to be a good thing at this point. I get all the threads in all the sub forums display on my new thread listing. So if a thread is marked clearly as a sale or product introduction or such I would see it listed and could follow it without having to crawl through all the sub forums. But if wanting to consolidate all those kinds of postings into one place is a goal... perhaps a subforum in the 4 sale forum could be made for vendors sales and announcements.

That separates the pros from the closet cleaners but still subjects the postings to the same rules as the other sale offers. That might make it easier on the mods to keep those post on topic as well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Good work on all of this. A great way to address things before they get out of hand. I like how it states that they are still welcomed and encouraged to comment and keep everyone informed on their products. That is the biggest advantage I see to having the people that make and design gear commerically a part of our little group.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    After reading the same post 12 times, you think I would have caught that. Being surrounded by all the other dire warnings/rules must have caused it to melt into the background. Either that, or my speed reading technique.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    I like the new rules, and being a manufacturer who likes to see the board as an independent discussion of gear, this will certainly help keep things how they should be - thanks for the update!

And just to pop in another pointed question more along the lines of previous ones - I don't have a manufacturer page, but if I have a sale, can I post in the '4 Sale' section with details?
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I'm glad I am not a moderator. Many thanks to you guys who are. This is still my favorite forum.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    And just to pop in another pointed question more along the lines of previous ones - I don't have a manufacturer page, but if I have a sale, can I post in the '4 Sale' section with details?
    You certainly can, but your not having a subforum was an oversight. There is now an OES subforum.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast