Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Review: Ridgerunner Hammock, Lynx UQ, Cloudburst Tarp

I just got home from a 3 day, 2 night hike with my new Ridgerunner hammock and associated accessories, and thought I'd share my impressions.

The package from Warbonnet containing my new goodies was delivered late by the USPS so I didn't have time to play with any of it before leaving on my trip. In fact, the package showed up mid-morning on Tuesday and about 3 hours later I was in the car heading for Vermont. I ordered the Ridgerunner with the line and strap suspension, but because I didn't have any time to try it out and make sure I knew how to tie the proper knot, I quickly changed out the suspension for a whoopie sling, carabiner, and tree strap suspension from one of my other hammocks. I also made lines for the Cloudburst tarp using the roll of dyneema I had ordered along with the other items. Once done with this, I quickly packed my backpack, made a run to the grocery store for food, and was out the door.

I hung for two nights, the first night at Story Spring Shelter on the AT/LT, and the second night at Stratton Pond. Both nights I had a good sleep. The first night the trees I hung from were a bit closer together, and I had a fairly steep angle on the suspension. The second night the trees were further apart and I had a shallower suspension angle. I think the hammock was a bit flatter on night two.

This is the RidgdeRunner hung at Stratton Pond. I think it's possible I had it hung too tightly, but I'm not sure how to tell.

The weather was awesome, cool, dry, and fresh. Oddly for Vermont, even late in the summer, there were no bugs! The bug netting stows away neatly at the foot end of the hammock. This makes it perfect for lounging.

Just for comparison, here is what it looks like with the netting deployed. The netting is held plenty high and it feels quite roomy inside.

This little loop of elastic with a toggle is sewn in at the head end of the hammock. I've no idea what it is for; maybe I should be threading the spreader bar through it? I don't recall any mention of it in Brandon's set-up video. And it seems wrong to have anything putting lateral forces on the spreader bar.

There is plenty of storage in the hammock 'saddlebags', one on each side at the head end. They are cut in such a way that each side has a deep part and a shallow part. I put all of the stuff sacks from hammock, tarp, underquilt and top quilt in one side, and my book and head-lamp in the other side. Since I was using the hammock without the bug net I could hang my eye glasses over the outside lip of the saddlebag as well. With the netting closed this won't be possible, so I think I might add a ridgeline inside the netting running from one netting support to the other, so I'll have a place to hang my glasses.

I also purchased the full length Lynx underquilt. It is tailored to fit the Ridgerunner hammock, and fits beautifully. At each corner there is a section of fabric as shown in the photo, which extends to the corner for attachment to the hammock via strong elastic and mini-biners. The UQ hugs the bottom of the hammock tightly. I was surprised by just how taut the UQ is when attached to the hammock. It makes an easy and fool-proof insulation system.

The Cloudburst tarp is huge! There is lots of room under it. I failed completely to get a taut pitch; I assume this is because I just haven't figured it out yet, and not any issue with the tarp. The lines on the tarp are dyneema, which I have not used before. This stuff is slicker 'n snot! I have always used taut line hitches on all my tarp suspension and guy lines, but they just slide on the dyneema and do not hold at all.

The really wide spreader bar at the head end of the hammock is the biggest challenge when pitching a tarp. I had a very flat pitch to clear the bars, which likely would have resulted in puddling on the tarp in a rain. I think perhaps I need to pitch the tarp with the ridgeline higher. This is going to take a bit more futzing about until I get this figured out.

I also noticed that the suspension triangles on both ends of the hammock are quite large, and you cannot cover the apex of the triangle at both ends with the Cloudburst tarp. If the hammock is centered under the tarp then the apex of both triangles will be exposed to the rain. That being the case, water would run down the suspension until it reaches the point where the suspension attaches at the corners of the hammock. I like to hang things from the hammock suspension, so that is a bit of a worry to me. I would also worry about water getting to the UQ, though of course I don't know if this will be an issue or not until I use the hammock and tarp combo in a rain.

So, the hammock. I found the Ridgerunner a bit more comfortable than my other bridge hammock, the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge UL. The Ridgerunner is less deep, and of course much wider at the head end. It feels less like sleeping inside a half pipe. The saddlebags provide plenty of easily accessible storage. The end caps at both the head and foot ends form a little mini-hammock when the hammock is hung, and I quickly found this useful for keeping things in place. I use my nearly empty clothing stuff sack as a pillow and whenever I got out of the hammock I would just toss this up into the head end and it would stay there. I would say that this hammock is slightly less comfortable than my Hennessy. Comfort is subjective, of course, and I must also note that between lounging around reading in the afternoon and sleeping at night, I probably spent 12 of every 24 hours lying in the hammock, so it certainly isn't all that uncomfortable!

I like everything about the Lynx underquilt. A lot of thoughtful design and obvious quality workmanship. My only complaint is that Warbonnet did not include a storage bag with it. Over the years I've collected a number of different down sleeping bags and a couple of other quilts, and every single one came with a storage bag. I will also note that once or twice when sleeping on my side I would get too far to one side with my back up at the edge of the hammock and would notice a bit of a chill since I was above the edge of the UQ. It was easy to shift my body back towards the center of the hammock without coming fully awake.

Sticking with the topic of missing accessories, there is no bag for the hammock spreader bag sections either. You certainly need something to keep the sections together; it would be especially easy to lose track of the short 4" section. I have a JRB spreader bar bag, so I used that.

I think I will likely stick with my Hennessy for summer hikes where miles are the goal and I want to keep things lighter and simpler. I avoid the weight of the spreader bars and the big tarp. It is also dead-nuts easy to get a taut pitch with my MacCat tarp. For easy hikes with lots of lounging around camp I would go with the bridge. I think I might turn to the bridge in the winter as well, as under-insulation is easy and nearly foolproof; much less fussy than with my Hennessy.
    Last edited by affreeman; 08-31-2012 at 03:44.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    Very nice review.

The "little loop of elastic with a toggle" is to hold the material up when not using the net and/or the 4 inch piece of the spreader bar, per Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    that's to attach it to the spreader, you may find it useful if the net is not being used...the end cap may be a little lose and very near your head so that's just to pull it out of the way if it is in the way. if you remove the 4" section you'll probably want to use it for sure

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Great review, thanks.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Does the quilt come up the sides of the RR like it does on a JRB bridge? You commented "got chilled" explain alittle more please.

And,,,how was the ends of the spreader bars? What would happen to the tarp if they hit. I scraped my cuben tarp with my JRB spreader bars a dash is why I am asking and was curious as to how the bolt ends would be against a tarp be it silnylon or cuben

Would a RL on the RR help in keeping your hammock the same no matter what the spread of trees you hang from? I have one on the JRB and works for me and was just curious about that as well,
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

I'd like to add to Acer's querries and ask what tarp are people using or planning on using with this bridge hammock?
    Here's my rub with bridges, compared to a gathered end-with few exceptions-there is a weight penalty (I saw Hangnout's personal bridge and this was not the case), add to that the need for a larger tarp and penalized again.
    I understand some have to sleep on their back and for them the penalties are moot.
    Pole mods and bridge use. Not knowing but it looks like the double pole mod=conestoga wagon mode seems ideal. Kinda like in Acer's most excellent vid but with the poles on the inside of the tarp, thoughts?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Pole mods and bridge use. Not knowing but it looks like the double pole mod=conestoga wagon mode seems ideal. Kinda like in Acer's most excellent vid but with the poles on the inside of the tarp, thoughts?
    We have done several double pole mods for those that have bridge hammocks. The pole pockets are placed where the spreader bars would be. And the poles are on the inside of the tarp. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

ZQ, just had a thought.....

what if a short cf pole could connect the spreader bar to the internal pole mode....one at each of four corners? snap in place when you get in for the night....they'd keep the cuben goodness from contacting spreader bars.
    Just a thought.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    what if a short cf pole could connect the spreader bar to the internal pole mode....one at each of four corners? snap in place when you get in for the night....they'd keep the cuben goodness from contacting spreader bars.
    Just a thought.

I think you would be better off having the poles keep the tarp far enough away from the spreader bars so there is no chance of contact...unless you like to swing yourself to sleep! Less fiddle factor after climbing in.

Just my 2 cents...which might not be worth much, since I don't sleep in a hammock! ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Does the quilt come up the sides of the RR like it does on a JRB bridge? You commented "got chilled" explain alittle more please.
    I'm working from memory here so I could be wrong, but I think the quilt on my JRB BMBH UL comes above where the hammock and netting meet on the side of the hammock. On the Ridgerunner the UQ sides come up pretty much flush with the edge of the hammock material, tucked up right under the saddlebags.

And,,,how was the ends of the spreader bars? What would happen to the tarp if they hit.
    The end of the tips are rounded over. The metal tabs the poles ift into are also nicely rounded so I didn't see any sharp edges. I took a photo but it's out of focus:

Would a RL on the RR help in keeping your hammock the same no matter what the spread of trees you hang from? I have one on the JRB and works for me and was just curious about that as well,
    I don't know. If Brandon could tell us what the ideal distance between the apex of the two triangles is, I'd try it and see.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Thanks for taking the time to review, nice to see what a fellow BMBH user thinks comparing the two.

Question: I use a superfly over my BMBH, and I can make it work, though I would like it if the sides were a bit longer for better coverage while still being able to pitch it fairly high. I am able to "close" up the doors on the superfly without much fuss. You made mention that the triangle suspension on the Ridge is fairly big. Is it that much bigger that closing up doors around it would be impossible? Do you think the triangle suspension could be modded to work more like the BMBH with the rings to make doors possible?

Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast