Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    did you find the shock cord was better than a static (no stretch) cord for your prusiks? advantage?
    I think it gives a wee bit of taughtness when the tarp wants to sag upon climbing in the hammock. Testing will tell over time........ hope to get a one-nighter soon to shoot more video.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundWitness View Post
    Shug.....
    As always, a great and very informative vid!!
    Nowwwww....I get the reefing setup. Gotta try me that.
    SW
    I was winging it........

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Very interesting. I like this method and very well may be putting it to use the next time I'm out. It's gotta be worth a whot, at least. Heck, If I don't like it, I can always go back to my current method. Many thanks to Shug for the video demonstration and to TeeDee whose idea this was in the first place. As a long time member here, TeeDee's creativity, innovation, forward thinking and DIY prowess never cease to not only amaze me, but teach me something on a pretty doggone regular basis. Thanks! I reckon this means I gotta order more Speer No-Tangle.
    I agree .... Tee-Dee is a "thinker and a dinker".
    Yeah ... it takes about a minute to switch back.
    I want BBQ....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Agreed. Great video! I might just have to try this setup, too.
    I think that with some practice it would get faster....... I will more than likely stick with snake-skins.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    <blink><blink>
    Thanks Shug!
    I find that funny!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Another good one Shug!
    I was tinkering with reefing yesterday. I ended up tying a long line outside the prussic on one end and then reefing the tarp with a series of half hitches about
    every 18 inches as I moved along. This worked well, but a reefing line from each end, or two from the middle may be a little easier to work with. It's kind of like sheepshanking a rope, only with the tarp.
    Sorry, didn't get any photos, but I will soon if needed.
    ken
    Hey Ken .... fun stuff for sure.
    Get those pix......

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I find myself surprised that you found that much daylight to film in at this time of year in Minnesoota.
    A feller had to expedient!!!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow &amp; Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I want BBQ....
    Me too. Think I'll go get some. Thanks for the idea.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

tarp under ridgeline

Shug,
    Nice job on the video. I do something similar, but my ridgeline is a true structural ridgeline for the hammock (i.e. - hammock hangs from ridgeline). The bungee on the tarp pulls it high enough that there's headroom to cook under it when it's raining, but it stretches enough that the whole tarp can be pulled down for better coverage from wind and rain at night. Still working on refining it, but I currently get about 8" vertical adjustment for the tarp.
    David

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Nice vid Shug. Hangin' Burrito and I were discussing the very same thing yesterday. The only caveat may be the threat of rain. When I don't have my 'gear port' set up I keep all my gear hung on biners under the tarp, which would then be impossible. I love the idea. Have my prussic lines with DIY sugi-tensioners ready but its just gonna rain all day here again. sob sob
    Last edited by Running Feather; 11-11-2009 at 11:21.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Nice vid Shug. Hangin' Burrito and I were discussing the very same thing yesterday. The only caveat may be the threat of rain. When I don't have my 'garage' set up I keep all my gear hung on biners under the tarp, which would then be impossible. I love the idea. Have my prussic lines with DIY sugi-tensioners ready but its just gonna rain all day here again. sob sob
    thinking (=dangerous) aloud...
    would a 2nd set of prusiks (with a longer loop) outside the 'tarp' prusiks allow for an adjustable clothesline under the tarp?
    hmmm...more thinking required
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice video, Shug! As usual, it helps to see an illustration of the idea.

Try as I might, I'm just not seeing a big advantage of a separate tarp ridgeline that is sufficient to justify adding the fiddly factor of another bit of rope and prusiks. As demonstrated in the video, I can see some advantage to shifting the tarp lengthwise before tying it down, but I do that already in initial setup.

My tarp uses Speer No-tangle line lark's headed to the tarp's ridgeline D-rings. I can adjust tarp tension and position with small figure-9s (or just knots!).

It's easier to see advantages to snakeskin coverings or reefing ties for setup in windy conditions, but neither of those requires a separate dedicated ridgeline to work.

It's all very interesting to see and compare approaches. Among other things, it enables me to think through what I'm doing and why. If there was only one way to do things, we wouldn't have much of a forum, eh?
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post

Try as I might, I'm just not seeing a big advantage of a separate tarp ridgeline that is sufficient to justify adding the fiddly factor of another bit of rope and prusiks. As demonstrated in the video, I can see some advantage to shifting the tarp lengthwise before tying it down, but I do that already in initial setup.
    Hi Beep!

I'm not sure I'm sold on the reefing yet either. But, the big advantage to TeeDee's ridge line is the ability to adjust the tarp side to side. Also, it is quick to go up. On the first tree you simply have a small loop in the end of the line. Pass the line around the tree, pull a bight through the loop and drop in a toggle. Then pull it tight to the other tree and use a trucker's hitch or
    small figure 9. Mine is all together in the sack with the first loop of the ridge on top. As of right now, the reefing is slower than snakes skins would be, but the process may need to be refined.

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I think it gives a wee bit of taughtness when the tarp wants to sag upon climbing in the hammock. Testing will tell over time........ hope to get a one-nighter soon to shoot more video.
    Bring back shug 1983, the hair was epic.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    My tarp uses Speer No-tangle line lark's headed to the tarp's ridgeline D-rings. I can adjust tarp tension and position with small figure-9s (or just knots!).
    It's easier to see advantages to snakeskin coverings or reefing ties for setup in windy conditions, but neither of those requires a separate dedicated ridgeline to work.
    It's all very interesting to see and compare approaches. Among other things, it enables me to think through what I'm doing and why. If there was only one way to do things, we wouldn't have much of a forum, eh?
    I agree ... I usually use figure nines and Speer No Tangle right off of my tarp d-rings too. more than likely will stay with that but want to try this method on a trip or two just to see what is what and all that.
    For sure will stick with snakeskins but this is all too much fun to fool with!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Hi Beep!
    I'm not sure I'm sold on the reefing yet either. But, the big advantage to TeeDee's ridge line is the ability to adjust the tarp side to side. Also, it is quick to go up. On the first tree you simply have a small loop in the end of the line. Pass the line around the tree, pull a bight through the loop and drop in a toggle. Then pull it tight to the other tree and use a trucker's hitch or
    small figure 9. Mine is all together in the sack with the first loop of the ridge on top. As of right now, the reefing is slower than snakes skins would be, but the process may need to be refined.
    Ken
    Agree on the reefing Ken ... but practice pays 'eh?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast