Hammock
    ENO Single and Double Nest (mod)
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Spinn
    Insulation
    It's Summer.
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopie Sling

Chattooga/Foothills Trail - Burrells Ford to Big Bend Falls.

This past weekend a friend of mine and I decided to hike to some of the waterfalls along the Chattooga River. As it was his dog's first trip we kept the distance under 10 miles. It made for a great time. Below is a link to some of the pictures I took along the way.

This area of SC has got to be the most beautiful place I have ever been. I love this area and tend to spend the majority of my time "hanging" here than anywhere else. Much of the trail was right on the river and at some places required the use of a high water detour in order to continue. It had been raining the days leading up to this hike as well as the first night, so that trail was naturally slippery. I lost my footing a few times, rocks hurt. So we had to be very careful when going down a set of rocks or even root structures. We set up camp about two miles down the trail from Burrells Ford Campground. I am a little disappointed, however, by the amount of trash we found in the camp and along the trail leading up to the camp. We tried to pick up as much as we could, that part was really frustrating.

On Saturday we hiked down to Big Bend Falls. That was an incredible place to be. It is a VERY powerful fall in my opinion. You could feel it. The "spur" trail denoted as "rough" in the FTC guide wasn't what I considered to be a trail nor rough. It was more like a leap of faith... but it got me down to the river. I did have to drop my pack in order to make it down however. Once down there, however, it was worth everything it took to get there.

After returning to Burrells Ford, where we camped Saturday night, we made it up to King Creek Falls. It was about .5 miles from the campground. This was a magnificent waterfall. It was the perfect way to end the day. You can tell by the picture what I mean.

Oddly enough, we only saw one snake along the river all weekend. It was a smallish (18") moccasin that was more interested in getting away from us than living up to its reputation.

It was a good weekend. Some great scenery, enjoyable trail time and great hang opportunities. I'd definitely suggest this one for everyone.

http://picasaweb.google.com/adam.brightwell/June462010
    Last edited by abrightwell; 06-07-2010 at 16:20.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Great pics. Waterfalls are a huge draw for me.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    ENO Single and Double Nest (mod)
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Spinn
    Insulation
    It's Summer.
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopie Sling
    I agree, waterfalls were the entire purpose of this trip. There are quite a few along the SC/NC Foothills Trail. There are a total of four within the area I was hiking this weekend. I only made it to two, however. I had planned to make three, but after a decent slip on the trail with a rock to the side of the knee and another into the hip I decided I had better not push it too hard. Instead I just soaked a bit in the river and at one of the falls then ended the day in the hammock. Oh well, just gives me another excuse to go back.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I second the waterfalls.
    You were in my favorite part of the world.
    Loved the pictures.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Great pictures thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    Totally Cool!! My friend and I have a 8 day "wander" trip planned for that area first of October! Now I am PUMPED!!
    ~KEN~

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by abrightwell View Post
    I agree, waterfalls were the entire purpose of this trip. There are quite a few along the SC/NC Foothills Trail. There are a total of four within the area I was hiking this weekend. I only made it to two, however. I had planned to make three, but after a decent slip on the trail with a rock to the side of the knee and another into the hip I decided I had better not push it too hard. Instead I just soaked a bit in the river and at one of the falls then ended the day in the hammock. Oh well, just gives me another excuse to go back.
    If you ever make it back that way, you shold park at Ridley fields parking area at bit further down 28 from the turnoff at 107 (I think it's 107 that leads up to BF) and hike the 5 miles up to Pigpen Falls and Licklog Falls. Nice camping areas right at Pigpen Falls. You can take the low route which is easy or the high route which is a bit more challenging. Th FHT seperates from CRT at Pigpin Falls

Me at Pigpin Fall
    Last edited by carolinasbackpacker; 06-08-2010 at 21:22.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinasbackpacker View Post
    If you ever make it back that way, you shold park at Ridley fields parking area at bit further down 28 from the turnoff at 107 (I think it's 107 that leads up to BF) and hike the 5 miles up to Pigpen Falls and Licklog Falls. Nice camping areas right at Pigpen Falls. You can take the low route which is easy or the high route which is a bit more challenging. Th FHT seperates from CRT at Pigpin Falls

Me at Pigpin Fall
    I'll second PigPen Falls . . .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6"
    Insulation
    Blue CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Love That Place

I'm still working on my trip report, but I did my first solo backpacking trip (and first time in my hammock) in all that rain the Tuesday and Wednesday the week previous to your hike (6/1-6/2). I started at Burrell's Ford and went north on the Chatooga Trail to just past Ellicott Rock. I'm planning on taking my brother on his first hike ever on the route ya'll took (and to Pigpen & Licklog Falls!), so thanks for the info and pictures!

Here's some pics (the river at the campsite, the hammock and some of what the "wilderness" trail was like. Lotsa blowdowns!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the report! That area looks great. I'll have to make it down there soon.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts