GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies

Question Grand Trunk UL Reliability

Hey all, I'm new to hammocks and wanted a low-cost option to enter the arena. It sounds like the GTUL is a great option, but I have one main hesitation:

• How reliable is it?

I have read several comments about folks having it rip right down the middle after a few uses, with them in it, stranding them in the field with no sleep system. A couple of these reviews are coming from Amazon.com. What are yall's thoughts on this?

If this is not the best place to ask about this then I apologize...please direct me to the proper section.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Matt

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    I have two, one I bought lst year for my wife, and one that I have had for years. Neither has ever given me any trouble. It is a great hammock for the price, and a great way to try out hammocking. Replace the stock suspension with something a little lighter and get some tree straps and you're good to go.

Also, it is a smaller hammock, so if you're a big person it might not be the most comfortable hammock.

Images
    I've had my one GTUL for maybe 4 years now. It spent 2 straight years, strung up outside, in all the weather and sun. The fabric never shown signs of failure or deterioration. In fact, I still use it most days for lunch at work.
    Although a bit narrow for overnight sleeping, it's a great hammock. Can't go wrong with it. Actually my avatar picture, is of me in it, strung up at my primitive camp I lived in for 2 years.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Never had a problem with mine, but to be honest, never used it much. Took a few naps with it and used it overnight once. It just seemed so thin and light, I feared it wouldn't hold up, plus it seemed too small for me (I'm 5' 6" tall and pretty close to 200 lbs). I keep it in case I ever have to hike with children who want to try a hammock. Having read the Amazon reviews, not sure I'd want to risk a child's safety with it.

Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    I'm 5'10, 175 lbs. I hope it works out for overnighters, what is an ideal length?

Also, I have been looking at suspension systems and it seems like the 7/64 Amsteel lines are what people like to use, especially with the whoopie sling. I was planning on that, a ridgeline of some sort and straps with the toggles. Seems really easy to put together.

My next question, what should I use for the ridgeline? A 10' whoopie from whoopieslings.com (or anywhere selling them) or something else? Just trying to feel out what will work best.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Never had an issue with durability with mine... But it is not comfortable for me at all. I'm 6'.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Oh, and I went ahead and got one off campmor.com...it was their daily deal for $13.96 and I need a few other things so I was able to get free shipping (on orders over $49). I'm excited...ready to try it out.

EDIT: I do want to note that I bought it at 1AM last night thinking that since it was a daily deal, that it would go away soon...I started browsing before midnight. However, it is still on their website at $13.96.

What would you all recommend "Budget-Friendly" please for someone that is 5'10?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Grand Trunk UL Reliability

The ridgeline doesn't need to be amsteel... That's WAY overkill... Most of mine are dynaglide or ZingIt... And they hold me up fine... I ordered some of mine from arrow head equipment... They are great people with good prices...

I enjoyed my grand trunk and I bought mine for the same reason your buying yours, as my gate way hammock... After the GTUL I suggest buying a tablecloth from tableclothfactory.com and whipping you up a big one... Those things are way more comfy than the UL but significantly heavier... A trade off that's sometimes worth it in the pack...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I've had my one GTUL for maybe 4 years now. It spent 2 straight years, strung up outside, in all the weather and sun. The fabric never shown signs of failure or deterioration. In fact, I still use it most days for lunch at work.
    Although a bit narrow for overnight sleeping, it's a great hammock. Can't go wrong with it. Actually my avatar picture, is of me in it, strung up at my primitive camp I lived in for 2 years.
    Wow, what a testimony! I can't believe any hammock would live through that, at least if it was not shaded from the sun. Either way, I doubt it gets any better than that.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by laziboie View Post
    Hey all, I'm new to hammocks and wanted a low-cost option to enter the arena. It sounds like the GTUL is a great option, but I have one main hesitation:

• How reliable is it?

I have read several comments about folks having it rip right down the middle after a few uses, with them in it, stranding them in the field with no sleep system. A couple of these reviews are coming from Amazon.com. What are yall's thoughts on this?

If this is not the best place to ask about this then I apologize...please direct me to the proper section.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Matt
    I had one and after putting whoopie slings on it and making tree straps, it tore in half. I called GT and they gave me a much nicer one to replace it. My two older son's use there's all the time. They did not have the problem that I had. I have read others who had the same issue I did. The problem I think is that the UL is not rip stop fabric and a small nick and rip...so you need to take good care. It is great for the $13 we paid for them on Amazon.

I am 6'4" as well and the GT Single Parachute hammock I got as a replacement fits me much better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast