DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Wink And now for my next hair brain scheme......

So I have been giving some thought to ultralight summer UQ's lately, and of course that means some new wild, wacky idea. This is still just rumbling through my brain and not sewn up yet, so bear with the descriptions.

Of course, the Neat Sheet is what comes to mind immediately for a summer UQ. But that is too easy and not strange enough for me. Besides, I have yet to find them locally. What I have gotten my hands on though, is Disposable Hospital Pillow cases, made from similar material. OK, good start. Breathable, extremely lightweight - and I could sew elastic on the ends of the pillowcases, and leave the ends open so I can stuff them like a Clark pocket. Two rows of pillowcases, ends pointing out towards the sides of the UQ.

But what to attach it to? I want something that is somewhat breathable, but will also provide some insulation. And something I don't have to buy, because I already have it on hand. So here will be my "inner liner" to attach the pillow case material to:

Or this:

Yes, that's right. Landscape fabric. Lightweight, breathable, hydrophobic, inexpensive........ What is not to like? Some versions of Landscape fabric are better than others, and some would obviously not be appropriate as they tear too easily; but some of these are very similar to a Neat Sheet, and are readily available at any hardware store! Heck, I can see using this as a middle or outer liner inside a sandwich quilt just for it's hydrophobic properties!

Crazy? I'll let you know, because it will be my summer quilt!
    Last edited by fin; 03-27-2009 at 19:24. Reason: Grammatical error

Did somebody say sandwich?

Good eye there FF! Between you and Shug...constant wondering about what is next. This looks like a keeper. Keep us posted.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You my friend ... are a hammock savant!!!!
    Look forward to seeing this progress......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Whod of thunk it? Hope it works!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    When I first saw the picture in your post, I thought you were going to "sandwich" wood chips between layers
    Hey... why not add leaves when you need the extra insulation???
    It would be easy enough to wash when needed.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I was actually eyeing some of this stuff the other day at the store and was wondering what I could use it for. Underquilt never came to mind, though... Genius!
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    FishinFinn, you sure don't let the grass grow under your feet... and now the weeds won't be growing under your hammock, either!

Can't wait to hear a trip report...
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    FishinFinn, you sure don't let the grass grow under your feet... and now the weeds won't be growing under your hammock, either!

Can't wait to hear a trip report...
    I'm cursed with an over-active imagination. And I'm cheap, and like a good deal.

Images
    I love it! I wonder if my mom could snag me a few of those from her nursing home....(that she works at!)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I built this UQ. No pics yet, but what I ended up doing is making the outside 1.1 ripstop, and put two layers of the weed barrier material in the center of my UQ. Initial impressions - it's extremely light, and worked well in my short backyard test. I couldn't test for long - queasiness and a sore throat drove me back indoors quickly.

I have decided to make this my UQ for the Northern Hang in June. I will have a full trip report on it then if I don't get around to it by this weekend.

I decided against the pillow cases as an outer layer due to the amount of sewing I would need to do to join them all together. I just didn't have the time. I also decided against the neat sheet as an outer layer, because I'd have to dig the weights out of the corners of the neat sheet; and again, time and patience - I did this while home sick, so I just didn't have the energy. The weed barrier material I used would easily rip, so I used it as a internal layer rather than an external - I could just see all the brush & junk would stick to it.

My sewing was iffy today - couldn't concentrate very well, but I wanted to try this concept out, and so far I really like the results. I will try to post more details shortly (weight, pics.) I think I may have found my summer UQ! I am still going to do the pillow case/weed barrier UQ, but need to find more time to work out the details.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast