Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

How well does an A-sym tarp work?

I'm going backpacking in a few weeks, and I wanted to know how well an asymmetrical tarp works as far as coverage is concerned. If it rains, will I get wet?

-Aduro
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Depends on what size, how windy the rain is, how sheltered your campsite is, whether you have the tarp oriented correctly, if you're using drip strings...in other words, we need more info to answer your question.

But SGT Rock went thru a tropical storm with the stock Hennessy asym tarp and didn't get wet.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Yep. Site selection, keeping it low and tight, and good luck probably all played a factor.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    I live in Oregon (We get heavy rain for 5 months of the year) and I've not had a problem with the small tarp but I also upgraded to a large hex tarp as soon as I could.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I haven't had any trouble getting wet with my stock Hennessy tarp, even in a surprise high wind thunderstorm. The only reason I want to upgrade is for utility reasons. I've decided my DIY gear will be gifted to other people, the Hennessy is just too comfy to give up lol.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AduroNox View Post
    I'm going backpacking in a few weeks, and I wanted to know how well an asymmetrical tarp works as far as coverage is concerned. If it rains, will I get wet?

-Aduro
    ====> As other will attest, it depends on your tarp and hanging skills when setting-up. I recently went through two downpours with my HH Asym, with the larger Hex Tarp, and never got wet. It is more about the tarp, location, and set-up than whether it is an Asym or not.

Will you get wet? Depends on you!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    An offset diamond fly (asym tarp) has just one single benefit (amidst a number of drawbacks) - it's really lightweight. I sell one of similar design and generally ask the prospective buyer a few questions before taking the sale. You really have to know what you're getting with these - they can seriously shave the ounces and pack size, but I only recommend them to the serious UL backpacker - they're definitely not for the casual camper.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    One thing I recently experienced was ground/foliage splash with mine. Set up where I was, the hammock was covered, but the rain was splashing up from underneath, and off the local flora, causing some dampness underneath. Now, it was 90*, with high humidity, and the rain was torrential, so take that into consideration. I have spent other nights with the stock tarp and had no issues. Normally, I have a tarp I use now-I wanted to try out the old tarp again on a recent weekend, to see if it would keep me dry. I think that the weather was abnormal enough NOT to base it on that, BUT, with the current aftermarket one I use, I can always extend one side out, to give me room for cooking, etc.
    Bottom line; for keeping you relatively dry, you should be fine, once you figure out the hang, and dont have severe weather. For the money though, a nice aftermarket tarp provides you not only weather protection, but also some additional living area, in the event you need it.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    site selection is THE critical factor... if you can get shelter from wind behind a hill, and deep enough into something wooded that the rain actually only lands on the tree canopy, you don't even need to pull the sides down. at that point, the rain falls straight down. but you can't always find the perfect site.

i was here for the tropical storm SGT Rock was talking about... Lili... end of Sept 02. Rock's unit was in the field, i was safely indoors... I became a believer based on that, and have endured thunderstorms from safely beneath the much-maligned 'stock tarp'.

before you go, try to spend a night or two out in the rain, at home, to learn what's going on around your tarp, and which way you need to be facing for best coverage.

• + New Posts