Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    So, the things that were complicating my schedule were worked out. I packed my gear and just needed to work a half day today then head out. That is until yesterday afternoon, while running some last minute errands, car problems arose.

The good news is I don't need to buy a new cuben tarp, UQ, TQ, Hammock, Bushbuddy, and ULA pack.

The bad news is that if those gear costs are totaled, it's almost equal what it will take to get my truck out of hock from the shop "at the close of business today at the earliest". .

Empty bank not withstanding, time is also an issue. Best estimates put me in the forest about dark. That's no big deal except that I still need to be home by early afternoon so to keep things simple, I'm going to pass this time and just whine about not being out there.
    That's a new one, I haven't looked at car repairs, or other major purchases in equivalent costs to high quality hammock camping gear Hope the truck gets fixed OK. Me, flat tire was the only repair lately, <knocking on wood>

You guys all have fun!
    Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

TX&gt;Last Chance Hang&gt;13-15 September&gt;Lone Star Trail Section 1

My Tadpole is leaking... That's my trail report...

Seam sealing will be in order........

Quote Originally Posted by easttex View Post
    My Tadpole is leaking... That's my trail report...

Seam sealing will be in order........
    CookieCooN

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    This weekend I became officially dirtier than on any other camping trip I have ever been on. Ever. I mean ever. Between the dust and soot of Friday and Saturday to the mud of Saturday night and Sunday morning nothing escaped the dirt.

I also want to apologize for causing the rain. Every time I bring the Toxaway thinking it won't rain, it does rain. Every time I bring the Hex with doors thinking it might rain, it does not.

So, my bad.

I also need to seam seal the Toxaway and I did notice some splash through. It got a bit damp on the hammock on the foot end, but that's the direction the storm came in from. Had I pitched the tarp a bit lower and spent more time centering the hammock on it, it probably wouldn't have happened.

So now I have washed my filthy body, given the hammock a bath, and tossed the funk engorged clothing and muslin top cover into the washing machine, I do believe that I will go into town and pig out at Cici's pizza.

One thing bothers me a bit, though. I washed the hammock in the bath tub, then hung it outside to dry. It never occurred to me before, but a soaking wet 12 foot long hammock of 1.1 MarPat nylon looks kinda like a great big slimy ol' booger. The mental image might keep me awake at nights. But probably not tonight. I'm just a tad bit tahred and I figger I'll be going to be early and sleep good. I just have to wait for that booger in the front yard to dry out.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    wow....what a bust.
    Unless Space puked, then no one did.
    No one set fire to the forest or their shoes.
    My cuben also leaked....pissed about that. Glad I had some tyvek to put over my head. Seems the superfly will be on the next trip.
    Hikers broke down into groups:
    1) didn't hike, more like staggered from Friday nights camp site over 3 miles to Saturday nights camp. I'm pretty sure the two who accomplished this feat of skill only did so because they were bored after Spaceweasel left.
    2) This group started out bravely, but did a road walk back, zort and sargevining.
    3) These three hiked out, but hooked up with the LSHT and headed back to camp around 3 PM. We got in almost 10 miles. This was myself, GoSpidey and Bev
    4) these five boldly marched the entire 12 or 20 miles. Not sure who all was in this group.

Naps were taken, food was eaten. Then the lightening started and BULLSEYE, camp was hit dead-eye by a good thunderstorm. This morning, everyone was found and returned safely to the parking lot.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Road walk was easier, and we made good time because of it, but milage was about the same.

So there.

I'm off to Cici's. I shall return when I have filled myself to overflowing with grease and fake cheese.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    4) these five boldly marched the entire 12 or 20 miles. Not sure who all was in this group.
    The crew that went on the longer hike was Easttex, KaiserSosa, Klanecfsb, Packdaddy and his three Corpus Christie canines, and myself. We went slightly more than 13 trail miles on Saturday (measured somewhat greater on Packdaddy’s GPS).

I was there for Friday night and spent half the night sleeping in the dirt. Caveman and TQ was nice enough to kick dirt on me when I passed out. They said it was to help keep the bugs off of me and it seemed to work.
    Not one bug bite and no one puked so it can't be considered camping.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9x9
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everyone for making it such a memorable weekend and putting this together.

Extra thanks and kudos to Sarge and PackDaddy for caching the water along the trails....

and the ice cold drinks waiting at the end of the 13 mile (to whoever I owe thanks) was the BOMB-diggity...Red Gatorade never tasted so good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast