Page 60 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I just tod ed I wanted 13' of webbing for each end of my hammock, and a loop sewn on one end of each piece. I left the detaila of the loop to him as he knows better than I about such things. tell him the application, what you will be doing with it, and let him go from there. and 13' is longish for what the others use.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Okie Dokie. Thanks!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I finally broke down and tried this system. Tested it a couple times for a couple hours at home. I went to my cabin this weekend and hung the hammock on the back porch. About the time I fell asleep I felt the falling sensation, you know the oh ---- this is going to hurt one then it stopped. I felt under the hammock and my hand would barely fit between the hammock and the porch. I had tied the slip knot a couple feet up the webbing to help keep the straps lined up. The slip knot had jammed into the rings and stop my fall. I will be tying the slip knot a lot closer to the rings in the future. Not sure why they slipped the straps were inline, I think the rings shifted in the spectra line going to the hammock. Moral of the story is the slip knot is cheap insurance no matter how good you think the straps are lined up!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    hangout... i tie the slip knot snug, right up against the rings. no room for slipping.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I had tied the knot closer when I was testing. I was using an ENO bugnet this time and the rings were inside the net so just tied the knot outside the netting. I will be tying it close to the rings next time

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Talking

Well, after listening to this for awhile, I took a jump and permanently modded my HH Asym Exped.

I used 2 SMC Descending rings on each end, I attached them to the hammock, very close to the hammock knot by using the original rope and a combination of knots. I attached the rings via a standard hitch knot, and secured the leftovers via a pair of two-half-hitch knots. It IS NOT slipping. I cut off the excess 9+ feet on each end and saved it for later projects.

I used 1.5" poly for 2 six-foot tree huggers, and 2 ten-foot sections of 1"
    poly for my straps. I've tested on different large trees separated by at least 21 feet. The sag from the 1" poly is noticeable, but it's easier to work with than the 1.5" was. The 1.5" poly makes improved tree huggers when contrasted to the ones that came with the hammock. The 3" SnakeSkins come back all the way slightly past the hammock knot and butt up against the rings on each end. It is a very pleasant and attractive setup.

To hang the hammock, I wrap the tree huggers, twice if possible, make a loop using the looped-on-one-end 1" straps and attach them to my rings, loosely for now. After centering and tightening, I tie a slip-half-hitch to secure each end, and I'm done.

I also scavenged the sliding clips from the Hennessy rope and turned them into stretchy clip attachments just by substituting 3/32 shock cord for the 1/8 spectra that was there. It does some real cool stuff for the tarp sag, and makes it nearly a non issue. I also allow stretch when attaching the tie-outs on the tarp, and heavy wind and rain haven't been an issue yet. Especially since HH grew the tarp somewhat this year.

I have the 49$ HH silnylon tarp ordered, and I will then convert the old one into a Garlington taco type weathershield and mess with it a bit before Winter gets here. I'll have to add a quilt to boot at that time. At some time, I'll replace the heavier, original tarp with a silnylon as well.

Anyway, I've had a blast, and really have improved the original design, IMO. I did it all myself, and can't wait to crank up the sewing machine again.

Other good news has reached me saying that HH will make a person an ultralight backpacker asym with slightly heavier ropes that will handle over 200 pounds. It's a Canadian product, but American made. No cost over the original UB Asym, but you have to let them know.

Hennessy has exceeded my expectations on customer service, and they'll have as much of my business as I can give them in the near future.

Just offering to modify the UB Asym was a big deal, but not charging extra was just icing on the cake.

I wish that I hadn't waited so long to get a Hennessy!

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    i finally used the rings system this past thursday night. i love em....no slippage what so ever!!!and it was a perfect hang....i forgot where ff took me, it was preeeety....
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    i finally used the rings system this past thursday night. i love em....no slippage what so ever!!!and it was a perfect hang....i forgot where ff took me, it was preeeety....
    Forgotten so soon
    That would be Panther Creek Trail. Glad you had a nice time.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Where exactly is that trail. It looks nice. I tried to look up maps and stuff but, still don't have an idea where it is. In relation to Atlanta. hehe Im in Alabamy and we only know like...ALBANY or ATLANTA.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    rockstar its in the tahlullah river gorge of northeast ga! its 3.5 mi to the main falls, real preeeety, but there are some sections that require some finnese....)
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

• + New Posts
  • Page 60 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast