Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    i would like to add that webbing and rope interface is subject to friction and increased wear at the contact point.( more so than either in contact with the metal of biner.) probably not a big problem but worth considereing
    yes, and i'd be more concerned about the polyester webbing, the dyneema is highly cut-resistent (alot more than polyester or nylon or polypro) i'd watch that spot on the webbing closely. in general rope directly to webbing is probably a bad idea. someone mentioned dyneema cord to dyneema cord being ok recently, and that "might" be true considering the cut resistence of dyneema, but the webbing isn't going to be nearly as cut resistent so i'd definately keep an eye on the point of contact (on the webbing in particular).

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    Some may pipe up about "fabric on fabric," but that isn't a concern in a situation like this.
    I want to put down the fabric on fabric rumors right now. The "rumors" stem from the fact that when synthetic fibers rub against each other, they can begin to melt due to their low melting points and the heat created by the friction. This is a significant concern for the climbing community, and has even been tested a few times by independent testers. If I remember correctly, they had a hard time breaking anything. We use fabric on fabric in a ton of places. Prussik knots (or other friction knots) are a great example. With this setup, the nacrabiner and webbing aren't sliding past each other. They are stationary. While it's always good to inspect your setups, I'd be shocked if you noticed any significant wear anytime soon. I use girth hitches of spectra/dyneema runners around my nylon belay loop on my harness as a short clip in point. I've had my harness for I think 4 or 5 years now, and I still trust my harness without hesitation. (Granted, it is thicker than the webbing we use around trees.) All in all, the spots you will see fabric on fabric wear is places like a power cinch, where you create a loop in the line and use it as a pulley to tension a ridgeline. Try it once, and you'll see the wear. Stationary fabric on fabric connections are completely fine from every experience I have ever seen and read about.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I've been using basically the same setup for about 2 months now(2 months of trail/sleep time) with no signs of wear.... No visible wear on neither soft shackle or webbing....
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    I've been using basically the same setup for about 2 months now(2 months of trail/sleep time) with no signs of wear.... No visible wear on neither soft shackle or webbing....
    Great! Just as I suspected.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Well its held up fine so far and its made my setting up easier. I used to just pull the webbing through the loop I had sewn on but it wouldnt cinch up very tight so it would fall with a slight breeze before I could hang both ends of the hammock.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    You have, in effect, a choker hitch there, which greatly reduces the working load limit of the whole, and puts a lot of stress on the wedding/rope interface, making damage at that point more likely. Ease up on that acute angle, if possible.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12