WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I'll bring a box of Hot Hands - a couple of them spread around inside your bag will keep you warm all night. I've used them with great success when my gear wasn't exactly up to snuff.

If that fails, hot water inside a Nalgene can keep you even warmer. You'll be camping with a bunch of people who know cold-weather camping, and we'll make sure you have all the opportunity in the world to stay warm.
    HF is such an awesome place.

I guess there are probably ways to pull it off. We bought the bags like 3 years ago, way before I found out about hammocks and this place, and certainly before I would have considered camping that cold, lol. Now I'm already planning on eventually doing sub-zero camping once I get geared up.

We'll have our dogs, too, which will probably want to be in the bags with us, which will also help keep us and them warm. And I've got a ton of Reflectix that we can lay on, though I worry about condensation, especially at those temps.

One of the issues, too, is my wife. I know I would be able to pull it off, but she's a pretty cold sleeper. We can probably both pull it off with some tips from y'all. We usually sleep on one of those ridiculous inflatable mattresses when car camping. Would that be a bad idea in such cold weather? What would be the most effective way to layer reflectix, a sleeping pad, the sleeping bags, and random blankets and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    You need to get some better bags/top quilts though
    No worries, my birthday and Christmas "wishlists" for the next three years are populated with hammock gear. This Christmas should bring me a nice down underquilt and top quilt. I'ma workin' on it.

Maybe I should look into renting a couple 0° bags from REI or something. That would make me feel a lot better about things, lol.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Agreed. We may never break the 15° mark, but having played in these mountains for a bunch of years, I've learned the rule of preparing for worse.

Kyle, don't sweat it. The last winter hang we had a Burning Bear there were at least 4 brand-spankin-new hangers (one of them a child) and that hang was in February! So far, (knocking wood) we haven't found anybody's popsicle remains in the morning.
    LOL, well that sure is reaffirming! XD

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Oh, and I guess all this talk of plentiful blankets and stuff is cause for asking again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    How close are the sites to parking?
    I kind of poked around and looked at pictures online and it LOOKS like the sites each have parking right at them. Is that correct? That would make life so much easier, lol.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I kind of poked around and looked at pictures online and it LOOKS like the sites each have parking right at them. Is that correct? That would make life so much easier, lol.
    The sites do have parking right at them. According to the ranger, there is no gate on the campground, so we should be able to get right to the sites. The only reason we couldn't park at the sites for the Winter Hang was the foot or two of snow on the ground.

burning bear hang

So this is a for sure thing, Im from colo spgs and was wanting to stop by if you all dont mind. Dont have a hammock yet and was wanting to look at the options before I buy one. Hope to get up there Sat and stop by. Have been thinking of trying this for awhile and thanks for the oppertunity to see how the pros do it.

Well, I may have to bail. The cold weather moving in may force me to work this weekend for my other business. So it will be a last minute decision if I am able to go or not. Honestly, I was looking forward to the cold weather, as I really enjoy the cold. Not so much the heat. If I go, it would be later in the day Saturday. So don't figure me in for sure at the pot luck. Sorry
    AARN USA - North America Distributors

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    so i'm figuring on about 18 people to feed for meatball subs saturday night.......according to the list in the first post......does that sound about right?.....not really sure why i ask, i know i will bring PLENTY

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    so i'm figuring on about 18 people to feed for meatball subs saturday night.......according to the list in the first post......does that sound about right?.....not really sure why i ask, i know i will bring PLENTY

boot
    Well, you can un-count my wife and I if that makes it any easier for ya, lol. We're vegetarians (well, "pescatarians"; fish). >.<

We'll be bringing a dessert. Bananas with a little groove carved out of them, then chocolate chips and marshmallows packed into that little grove, then heated up on the fire to melt the chocolate and marshmallows. Don't know where I read it online, but it's fantastic, so whoever that was is a freaking genius.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    I'll be bringing some vegetarian food! (Boothill says he is not a vegetarian because he loves plants... )
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Tarp
    Insulation
    Lynx Winter Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I also plan on being there with one to two ground dwellers.Working on converting them, but not yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast