DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I think the reason why there has yet to be a video on the entire process of making a quilt whether top or under is because it is a long time consuming process. Grizz made a few videos on on quilt making, but in his normal, lovable Grizz fashion lots of numbers and theory thrown out at you. So be sure to pay attention. Mostly though quilts are just a bunch of straight stiches. In my experience the thought/fear of making my own quilts was much worse than the actual process of making them. There is a lot of great information here on how to come up with the figures you need, read through them and then just put stitch to fabric. The worse that will happen is you have to undo a seam or two, the best you end up with a piece of gear custom made to your specifications and the sense of accomplishment knowing that you made it yourself.
    I don't mind so much taking the time to make a detailed video. It's rather that I don't want to deal with all the questions that come with it.

For example, I was just going to make a video on how to make a 3/4, 3season uq with around 9oz of down. Show how to do the baffles etc. And I really think I can do it in a way that everyone understands and build up their confidence before making one for themselves.

But, with that I would get a ton of questions like, "What if I wanted to make it "this temp rating" or "if I used this fill how much down would I need" yada yada.

That's something I didn't want to particularly deal with as I like to keep thing simple and fun.

I've made a bunch of quilts for my friends and I. The quilts have had more trail time than the average hiker too as I get out a lot and have tested them like crazy so I know they work as expected.

I'm going to hunt down Grizz's videos and see what he has done.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Dude I would do it just like you said and put in plain English (if you have questions about ratings or overstuffs etc. consult the appropriate forum thread).

I just want Homer Simpson simple instruction. The math kicked my butt in school and I really don't want to go back without a tutor.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If people want to ask questions about making an UQ I have no problem doing the math for them, I rather enjoy it actually. Sometimes when bored I just sit and figure out the numbers for different TQs and UQs. But I guess that just makes me a little bit like Grizz, and I'm okay with that.

I had started a thread somewhere on here that links to a google doc I had made with different insulation values and the required math formulas and standard/minimal thicknesses for quilts.

Here is the Document.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Cool to see how others do it Fronkster .....
    i made a mess with down HAHAHAHAH i still find down in my basement
    i like it packed in 1oz bags and i kinda do what you did i either cut the bag in half or i take my chances and pull it out in clumps into a bigger bags to weigh it out...

i think my next quilt i'll take pics of how i go about making it
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Really liked the ingenuity Fronkey! Keep these bad boys coming - next can be the mods to the Jam or
    the canvas winter sock or
    some surf lessons!!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Really liked the ingenuity Fronkey! Keep these bad boys coming - next can be the mods to the Jam or
    the canvas winter sock or
    some surf lessons!!
    Thanks a bunch man.

I am seriously thinking about doing a video on how to make a down underquilt. But, it depends on whether or not people want one yada yada

I was going to do one on the sock, but with no snow it would look weird.

Also, I will show what I did to my Jam when I make a "What's in my pack" video, which will be at the end of March. The reason why is the mod I did, no one else can do because the stuff I use to do it is not available to the public.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Thanks a bunch man.

I am seriously thinking about doing a video on how to make a down underquilt. But, it depends on whether or not people want one yada yada

Also, I will show what I did to my Jam when I make a "What's in my pack" video, which will be at the end of March. The reason why is the mod I did, no one else can do because the stuff I use to do it is not available to the public.

Fronkey

Well count me in for the videos. These are great learning tools. And I still appreciate the help you gave some time back on explaining the quilts to me.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Well count me in for the videos. These are great learning tools. And I still appreciate the help you gave some time back on explaining the quilts to me.
    Pure.....Genius.......

I remember an extremely bad time in a Swissgear tent bugnet, trying to manuever 2 oz of down. It takes no less than 3 weeks to extricate all the fly-aways from nasal passages, and I am sure that right now (8 months after), the sharp pin-cushion poking I have in my upper sinus cavity may be a micro quill.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Thanks a bunch man.

Fronkey
    If it doesn't snow this year there a good chance it will next.
    A sock is always worth having in the camp room standing by.
    I would think they be great in the windy Spring as well.

I'd love to see a Fronkey (easy on the eyes, smart, and handy around the house) sock DIY video.
    If you do one, I hope you will add some of the mods(pullouts, etc) we discussed.

thanks for a great video on how to deal with down.

-O&B

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    How sharp do my scissors have to be? Does it have happen in a tub? What if my girlfriend/wife is in town? How much in each baffle? Do I need Christmas pants?
    What if I look like Gene Hackman? What is an underquilt? Where do I get down with down? Do bird feathers work?
    I am UQ Curious.
    Slug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast