Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Any thoughts on long distance bike touring with a hammock you would like to share. I have something in the works for next summer where this would be helpful.
    First thing is that you have a bigger chance of having to go to ground. And you have to be a bit inventive in choosing your camp sites. A lot of camp grounds don't like you to hang from the trees, if they have trees on the camp sites in the first place. I normally find a tree lined area of unpopulated road and then just "Exit Stage Left" or right as need be when no one is looking. In bike touring we call it Stealth Camping. I never make a fire or use a flashlight. Check around for trash before going in, you don't want to hang where others are hanging out!
    So where you thinking of going?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by btourer View Post
    First thing is that you have a bigger chance of having to go to ground. And you have to be a bit inventive in choosing your camp sites. A lot of camp grounds don't like you to hang from the trees, if they have trees on the camp sites in the first place. I normally find a tree lined area of unpopulated road and then just "Exit Stage Left" or right as need be when no one is looking. In bike touring we call it Stealth Camping. I never make a fire or use a flashlight. Check around for trash before going in, you don't want to hang where others are hanging out!
    So where you thinking of going?
    Thanks. I'm not ready to say what yet. I don't want to make a huge deal about a trip until I'm sure it is going to happen.

That is what I was thinking in terms of setup. Just finding a group of trees out of the way. I did not think about the trash through. If it happens I am going to see a lot of different terain. I was thinking about using a DAM or thermarest as my bottom insulation, since there is a big chance of ground sleeping.

I was also going to work out a bug bivy that is easy to setup on the ground. I was also thinking about carrying some sort of pole to use on the tarp.

Good point about the trash, something I hadn't thought of.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hey,
    I'm in Upper Marlboro, MD (about 15 miles from the capital) and work in Bethesda. I'm itching to do some hiking when the weather turns. Nice to hear from people hanging in my neck of the woods.

Images

Up nort, doncha know

I see tons of folks reporting from out east and down south, a few in the northwest and one reply from dead center USA (Omaha). Guess I'll have to fill in the northern hole up here in St. Paul, MN. Would love to join some others for some weekend gatherings but that commute would be a bit much.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    ugh massachusetts.
    that is all i have to say, but it is a slight improvement over Quebec city where i grew up.
    you want wilderness? 1 hour out of the city and NOTHING.
    i mean tundra.

Images
    I can see it now. In a couple years it would be cool to have a few different campouts on the same weekend, but in different parts of the country/world. Then everyone reports back on Monday.

Now that would be cool.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I can see it now. In a couple years it would be cool to have a few different campouts on the same weekend, but in different parts of the country/world. Then everyone reports back on Monday.

Now that would be cool.
    ahhh, but if they were each one on different weekends though, there might be a few hammockers that could travel enough to go to several???
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ahhh, but if they were each one on different weekends though, there might be a few hammockers that could travel enough to go to several???
    True. I was thinking like the southeast, northeast, and one out west somewhere. But then again, some of us like to travel.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    geez, you guys work at all?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    geez, you guys work at all?
    Yeah, I work second shift at a crap job until I leave for my thru. I'm usually doing or putting off school work before that and working on stuff for my thru or watching tv after work, that and I don't sleep nights.

I guess I am saying this is my way to put off doing work just a little longer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast