WL Snipe
    Tarp
    TadPole Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for all the great reply's! Some great info and insight. I think I will give the net a try! Thanks again! Now....which one to get? lol!
    Doing More with less....

Dum Tacet Clamat!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomsBackwoods?feature=mhum

I use a separate bug net (a Papasmurf Tulle Bug Sock) and yes my sock does hit the ground when opened, but not when cinched up and I hang about chair height for reference! I treated my sock and hammock with permethrin so the only annoyance about my sock touching the ground is any sticks or leaves n such that attach to it!

I will say that there have been times where it was a royal pain in the A$$ to get the bug sock (cinched end with a draw cord) open in the middle of the night as I layed there to long holding the call of nature in too long and I will say at those times it would have been really nice to have a zipper, but that is my own stupid fault and none of the gear!

I will say that I own 4 hammocks all with integrated (sewn on) zippered bug nets, they all lay different but I can always get a good nights sleep in them! If the weight wasn't such a big difference (my hammock and sock weigh 9oz total together) which none of my sewn on bug net hammocks come close to that weight, so the choice is easy for me!

Also it's nice to be able to leave the net home (so save a couple ounces) when there are no bugs out
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I use an integrated net.

I treat both the hammock body and net with permethrin so I don't deal with bugs biting through anything. Besides the reasons already stated by others, I use it all year round. I never have a time when I "don't need it". Even in winter it traps a significant amount of heat. In the fall/spring this is even more noticeable as when you unzip it, you can feel the rush of cooler air. This allows me to get by with a warmer rated quilt in colder temps. I also like to have my tarp flipped to one side so I can see the stars but ready to stake out at a moments notice when the weather changes. The net stops leaves, pinecones, sap, squirrel doodoo from landing on my face or quilt.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If your going to get your first bug net,,get a bug net made from noseum material..not the tulle,,,its more durable and will take alittle more abuse till your very used to a bug net and playing with it. Then if you want,,try out the tulle bug nets..they need alittle more tender loving care as they can snag and rip fairly easily. WL and others on this forum sell very good bug nets..pick one and you can't go wrong. Everybody has their likes/dislikes for a bug net so its all a matter of your personal preference. Good luck in your choice of bug nets as when you treat them with permethrin,,,they all do a great job of keeping the skeeters and bugs off you as you rack out in your hammock.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I use an integrated net.

I treat both the hammock body and net with permethrin so I don't deal with bugs biting through anything. Besides the reasons already stated by others, I use it all year round. I never have a time when I "don't need it". Even in winter it traps a significant amount of heat. In the fall/spring this is even more noticeable as when you unzip it, you can feel the rush of cooler air. This allows me to get by with a warmer rated quilt in colder temps. I also like to have my tarp flipped to one side so I can see the stars but ready to stake out at a moments notice when the weather changes. The net stops leaves, pinecones, sap, squirrel doodoo from landing on my face or quilt.
    +1 to all of what Duct tape said.

I use a HH Explorer Deluxe, with a 2QZQ mod #4. I can completely unzip my net if I choose to...but found I've never opted to do so. During the spring/summer/fall...it keeps the bugs out. It also keeps the cool breezes out during the colder nights.

I too treat my hammock with Permethrin, and have never had a bite through the bottom that I know of.

I prefer it all integrated...no worries about forgetting it at some point when I really need it, and the mod lets me 'get rid of it' if I don't.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    I'll cast a minority vote for integrated bug nets. I need them late spring through early fall for the bugs. Then, I don't mind bringing it along for colder temps because the noseeum actually adds a couple degrees of warmth. So I say it evens out.

I used to have a separate bug net, but the skeeters here don't seem to bite through the hammock, so the whole bottom half is a waste. Also, my dog tends to get tangled up in the bottom half. Lastly, with a separate net, it's more of a pain to keep away from your face.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Strap Webbing
    I knew I needed a bug net when I heard one mosquito say to another, "You want to eat him here or take him home." :-))
    Judge Parker is not only one that likes a good "Hanging" here in Arkansas.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    TadPole Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lash View Post
    I knew I needed a bug net when I heard one mosquito say to another, "You want to eat him here or take him home." :-))

you guys are great! Thanks for the info everybody! Its all very much appreciated!
    Doing More with less....

Dum Tacet Clamat!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomsBackwoods?feature=mhum

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    The one major difference I see using a sewn bug net is not dropping the top quilt when getting out. Seems like it is always falling out of my Traveler, but stays nicely using a BB
    I'm with Oms. I have the BB and Traveler as well and prefer the BB most of the time since it keeps my quilt inside when I'm getting out of the hammock. It's also nice to be able to hang a leg out of the quilt or move it to the side while I'm sleeping and not have to worry about it falling out.

Jay

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I like a separate bugnet. Specifically, Fronkey style net.
    I think that sewn in bugnets adversely affect the lay of my hammock. Even though there is more fabric in a separate net, the weight of a separate net is about the same as a sewn in one because of the zipper in the sewn in net.
    here's the Fronkey on the Snipe .. maybe to be traded .. but the Fronkey is the best design other then sewn in ..IMHO

"The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast