Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

Adjustable Tarp suspension idea

I've been trying to come up with way to suspend the tarp on the hammock strap. Only then requires once around the tree with the hammock strap.

I currently use a biner on the end of my strap which goes around the tree and clips to the strap. That part suits me and it's easy enough.

Has anyone tried these side release buckles for the tarp attachment on the hammock strap?.

They adjust on the hammock strap and the side release quick connect seems to be strong enough for the tension on the tarp. I can use my 8" APS hook end bungees to attach to the clips on either end allowing me to elevate the tarp above the hammock in good weather or remove the bungees and clip directly to the tarp ridgeline D ring for hunkered down mode. I haven't seen any excess stress on the tarp when connected directly while the hammock is weighted.

I could use my hammock straps (two - 12' with biner on the end) to put up my tarp in the rain. After its all set up, then the cinch buckles attached to the hammock suspension line could be attached to the strap...while underneath the tarp! Sounds good...now to see if it works.

A little concerned about the strength of the side release buckles. I'll devise a way to put weight/pressure on them and see when they break. Being just the tarp ridgeline tension, should I expect more than 50 lbs?

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Just one question, and you probably have thought out the answer: It's raining and you need to set up camp. How do you do it?

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Will they hold up to the tensoin of a person's weight pulling on the strapping without snapping?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    First, Look up and consider walking another mile or two to where the blue skies are.

Second, concede to setting up in the rain.

Thrid, Pull out my tarp stored in a stuffsack on the outside of my pack under my Packa.

Fourth, Pull out the straps also stored in an outside pouch of pack.

Fifth, While still wearing pack and Packa, run strap around suitable tree and clip biner. Do the same with the other tree, for me I like about 15-16 feet apart.

Sixth, Attach tarp ridgeline D-ring to side release buckle attached to strap. Pull tarp out of stuff sack as I walk to other tree. Attach tarp D-ring to other side release buckle clip on strap. Adjust buckles on each end to center tarp between trees.

Seventh, Pull out stakes and tensioners stored in pouch and stake out tarp.

Eighth, Remove pack and Packa, find AL burner and pot and make coffee.

Ninth, Pull out hammock and attach each end cinch buckles to straps. Adjust for proper tension.

Tenth, Unzip bugnet and unload pack in hammock to sort things out.

Eleventh, Finish coffee, consider another cup....decaf for sure.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    Will they hold up to the tensoin of a person's weight pulling on the strapping without snapping?

I think they will. As weight is added to the hammock I've noticed the tarp ridgeline doesn't get stressed. Tarp drops down a few inches, but the APS tensioners on the ridgeline give the needed stretch.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    when I first read your idea, I missed the part about tensioners connecting the tarp to the connectors. I was reminded of the wisdom passed to us from our elders that in the HH with stock tarp, attached to the suspension as designed, the tarp sags when the hammock is under load.

Re-reading, it seems that properly tensioned bungee cords between tarp and web connector will save you from sagging ridgeline. But the more important point is that when the hammock is under load, the endpoints of the hammock come closer together, which (for fixed endpoints on the trees) implies that all pairs of opposing points on opposing suspension lines come closer together also. So the tension you have on the tarp before you get in is larger than after.

so it seems to be implied anyway

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    2Questions, It seems like keeping the straps separate from the hammocks ( and tarp for that matter) takes enough away from the quickness and simplicity of ring/cinch buckles to make it not worth it. You will have gained in that you can hang your hammock without it ever seeing rain, because you won't even have to strap it to the tree before you tarp is up. Do you think that is worth threading the buckles every time you hang, rain or not????

I too have been thinking about a way to hang with only 1 strap going to each tree, but I'm afraid the Claytor JH doesn't use enough sag for it.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Ah, I think I get you Grizz...the tarp ridgeline tensioners will help keep the tarp tight when the hammock is weighted. I was thinking the reverse effect of a weighted hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    mbwtt,
    I think the cinch buckles thread easy enough with my polyester straps to make it worth it. I hate getting wet, especially in cold weather. Taking down in reverse order has advantages as well.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Lots of people keep their suspesion straps aside from the hammock and tarp because the straps can pick up sap and bugs that can tranfer to the hammock in the skins or bishop bag. ring buckles are even a little bit fussier than cinch buckles in that a safety know is needed.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast